The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

Post by Destani »

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the Lex and I was directed here in my intro post. I'd have been here sooner but I started reading the older posts to figure out the rules and terminology and just couldn't stop. The conversations have such depth and humor. I love this thread!

So by way of introduction, I thought I'd answer a few of the recent questions so you all can get to know me a little better.

How has reading Twilight enriched my life?
I've always enjoyed reading but for the first time ever I feel the urge to re-read something. There are so many levels to these books and the first time through I only skimmed the top. I need to go back and read between the lines. The Lexicon and all it's discussions have really shown me how much is hidden within these books. It also gained me 2 new friendships at work with the couple that introduced me to the series. And I took a huge step thanks to the Twilight series...I went to the Breaking Dawn midnight release all by myself. I have social anxiety so I usually avoid things like that, but the pull to get that book as soon as possible was just too much. I was going to go with the couple from work but the wife ended up getting sick that day and they cancelled. I had no one else I could call to join me so I went alone. When my husband got home from work and I told him, he was so shocked but also very proud of me. :D

If I could be a vampire for a day, who would I be?
Zafrina. I love her ability and there are so many neat things you can do with it. If I was in a wicked mood, I could have people seeing ghosts and monsters. If I was feeling naughty, I could make people see everyone au naturel. Or maybe I would be nice and let people who were depressed, sick or dying see things that would cheer them up.

Which vampire's kitchen would I like to bake in?
Alistair. I know, I'm weird. But I've always had a thing for the quiet, brooding, mysterious type. Edward fits that bill as well so before Alistair came along I would have said Edward.

Which wolf would I like to bake with?
I don't really care for Sam, Paul or Jared. I love Seth's character but he's just too young for me to think of that way. So I guess that leaves me with Jacob, Quil and Embry. Not a bad group. I don't think I'd turn down any of them.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Liz
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Liz »

Hmm...firstly I am so happy to have found Twilight and read them. I have always been a book lover and if I'm particularly into a book, I always have trouble putting it down, usually staying up all night to read. I've been this way for so long, since I was a kid and reading Christopher Pike books, lol. So it was good to feel that way again - I used to ALWAYS be reading a book. Since having kids, etc., it's not been as easy to get into a book the way I used to. Until Twilight. Of course, I still read and enjoyed some books, but not like this. It was so refreshing. And now I can talk to my friends or others on this site who know how it feels to be so sad when your close friends (characters from the books you're into) are gone. I've always had issues with that, being so sad when a book ends. I guess that's why so many people continue to keep reading this saga, long after they've finished. We just want to be close to our friends again! That's one of the many reasons why I hope SM decides to finish Midnight Sun. I already had all sorts of plans for other characters, even Edward starting from when he was born into his new life. Just so many options! Anyway, these books have brought so many people together, I think. I even felt a little closer to my husband and was reminded of our start together and how close we are, like Bella and Edward in many ways.

On another note, I also survived Ike. I work in Houston (so I'm thinking there's no work today - can't get a hold of anyone) but I live a bit outside of the city. Our family is fine - our home sustained no real damage, just down tree limbs down and debris in our yard. We only lost power on Friday night / Saturday morning for about 6.5 hours, so we were lucky. Most of my coworkers and friends still have no power and are trying to go get supplies that are being delivered. Some roads are still under water, or at least portions of them and there are curfews in place. I'm just glad things weren't worse!

Every fight is a food fight, when you're a cannibal.
-Demetri Martin
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello gals and guys of the gutter!
I'm curious, I am not married, in fact, I am very, very single. I know many of you are married so I ask you this:
How did you meet your spouses and where are places you would expect to meet potential prospects of the dating kind?
Last edited by Elizabeth on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Hey, All! Thought I stop by and see what's going on. I'm home sick and have no clue as to how I got a cold.

Elizabeth, I'm single as well. Glad to know they're some of us on this thread. ;) After hearing some of the "how we met stories", it just seems like they were there at the right place at the right time. I've learned that you can't force yourself to love someone. Now this got me humming, "You can't hurry love, you just have to wait.."
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

Hello adult friends!
I was just talking to Misfit and him and his family are heading back home today from their Forks trip. He asked me to tell you all that they had a blast over there. As some of you know, he is a photographer and he got a lot of nice pictures of the Hoh forest, La Push and all the Stephenie Meyer day activities. They are really excited to go back home and come back to the Lex to share their experiences. He says he's misses the lex and can't wait to share with all of you. So, stay tuned for more!

Elizabeth wrote:How did you meet your spouses and where are places you would expect to meet potential prospects?
Ha! My husband and I sort of met at a wedding of all places. He happened to know the groom, I knew the bride. The newlyweds invited us on a double date... so there you go... sometimes it kind of reminds me of that movie, hum.. 3 wedding and a funeral, I think it's called.. lol 8-)
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Elizabeth wrote:Hello gals and guys of the gutter!
I'm curious, I am not married, in fact, I am very, very single. I know many of you are married so I ask you this:
How did you meet your spouses and where are places you would expect to meet potential prospects of the dating kind?
I met Mr. Blue at IU (Indiana University for those not in to bball), my Alma Mater. He was in his final semester and I was going back for a game (sigh! the good 'ole days of IU basketball kicking it LARGE) with a friend of mine and she wanted to meet up with one of her high school friends that was graduating (Mr. Blue!). We had immediate chemistry, but he was graduating and moving to Dallas, where is family had moved to. Of course, Elizabeth, this was when I was done with dating and my grandma was convinced that I was so independent and hard to love, that I was doomed to spinsterhood at the rip old age of 24. Yes. I was living on my own, working two jobs (one in advertising - loves!) and had my own place. I was not really looking for him, I was afraid of getting hurt. Well, it was just meant to be. It was magnetic and we couldn't stay away from each other. It was a rough road, but the next thing I knew, he was moving to back to Indiana to be with ME, but only after finding a great job. (I have to say, this scared me to death, what if he moved here and I didn't like him after all! GAH!) We met in November, he moved to Indy in June and we got married October 21, 2 years later. (no fast marriage for Mr. and Mrs. Blue) Come to find out, he lived next door to one of my cousins at IU and actually in my old dorm at one point, but we just never met! It was truly meant to be and the timing proved that. I swear, I hate this statement, but it will happen when you least expect it.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

Elizabeth wrote:How did you meet your spouses and where are places you would expect to meet potential prospects of the dating kind?
I met my husband through mutual friends. That's always a good place to start because you can find out what other people think of them before you ever even go on a first date. When I first met him, I was in another relationship so we just hung out in the same group of friends for a while and barely talked. We were both the shy ones in the group. Then my relationship ended and one of our friends helped us hook up.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

I met the love of my life one day at a pet store.

I was recently divorced and wanted a little company. He had these huge green eyes and orangey ginger hair. I fell instantly in love and scooped him up right then and there! Now 4 years later he rules my home. He's such an animal, but I know how to make him purr. I worship him and feed him and pick up after him every day.

When I went back to school, I got him a little girlfriend but that didn't work out well and she left us after two very short years. We both miss her very much. We recently brought another male into our relationship. A blue-eyed beauty. And that is working out quite well. My boys love to play and keep each other company while I'm at work.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Elizabeth wrote:Hello gals and guys of the gutter!
My hubby and I met at church. There never really was a "hi, my name is..." moment... he was a Senior when I was a Freshman in highschool; never really paid him any attention. I went to the college at my church, and he was a layman by my Sr. year. In May of my Junior year, my dad kind of mentioned something to him about knowing a girl who was single, came from a good family, about to be finished with college... etc! My dad told me this after church on a Wednesday, and I blushed so badly, I think I could feel my feet turn red! LOL! I had actually thought about him just 5 months earlier, but he was interested in another girl, so I put him out of my mind. Our families had known each other for about 8 years when we started dating... in May of 98; we got engaged in August of 98, then married in January of 99. Everyone asks, "how did you know he was the one?" I'd say, "I just KNEW." I don't think there is a certain formula. My younger brother married his highschool sweetheart; my older brother went through 2 serious girlfriends before marrying someone 8 years younger than him; my oldest brother married a "serial bride" and she left him about 10 months later for his best friend!

I came from a religious background and never dated in the "outside world." I'll be married for 10 years come January, and you'd think that I'd have some great advice on how to find the right guy... well, *sigh*... I don't. There's not a set formula of "do this and this, then this, and BAM!" Lots of my friends who also dated and married guys in our church ended up getting divorced, and just a hand-full of us stayed married after leaving the church. Everyone is different. You have to find someone with common interests or activites... and I think it's important to be FRIENDS first... because long after the physical beauty wears off, you have to be able to live with each other; marriage isn't ALL about baking! ;) You marry the PERSON, not the physical manifestation of that person... of course, it doesn't hurt if the outside is nice to look at, too! I hope that makes sense.

One great piece of advice I could give you is to not rush things. If you're the only single girl in your group of friends, don't grab the first guy you see and run off with him! I think that's why a lot of my friends from church ended up getting divorced after they'd leave the church... like they were just getting married to get out of the strict environment of our church. What kinds of things do you do outside the house or work? Do you like recreational sports, spectator sports? the arts? community events? As hokey as it sounds, love finds you when you least expect it, and it did for me.
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bewitched »

Happy Belated Birthday Variety!

Enrichment: Twilight came into my life last year during a very rough patch. After reading it, it was like I woke up and started questioning everything about my life and who I was. It was good in the long run. It helped my marriage (I really don't want to give it up), I found a job (I loved being a stay at home mom and I work out of my home part time but I needed something different), I started writing again, reading more, looking into going back to school, and I found women (and men) who are so smart and wonderful here on the Lex. You all inspire me in so many different ways.

How I met my hubby: My first hubby I met when I left home and was traveling with the carnival. He had joined up after getting into a fight with his dad. He was 20 and I was 16. Yeah, scary. He was a good man but we were just too young. It lasted 2 years.

My current huband and I met while I was training to be a manager for a restaurant here in town. They had 10 stores at the tme and he was the assistant supervisor of all of them. He was dating one of the other manager trainee's at the time (that didn't last too long) and I really didn't pay too much attention to him that way. Well, one day his friend Mindy came up an;d asked what I though about him. I told her not much. I don't date college guys. Everyone I had met seemed really arrogant. i had been living on my own since I was 16 and so I was street smart. They always seemed to have a certain view of things they had never lived before. Well that was the end of that, although the assistant manager of the store I was working at and Kelvin (my hubby) constantly were trying to get me to go out with them. It was pretty funny and If I say so myself, pretty flattering.

Anyway, it got to the point where he was at my store everyday for one thing or another and we had to go to manager meetings and the like so we became friends. Once again, I was asked why I wouldn't go out with him. Well, he's not my type and we're friends. I don't date friends because if it doesn't go well, you can't go back to being friends. Finally, on the night of the Christmas party (6 months after we had met), he caught me at an inebrated point and I gave in. Actually, I couldn't imagine a day without seeing him and talking to him. I tell people at first he annoyed me and then he grew on me and finally I fell in love with him. I knew he'd make a good husband. We've been married 18 years.

I would say don't rush it and it really does find you when you least expect it. My girlfriend didn't get married until she was 41 and they have one little boy now. She went' through a lot of frogs till she found her prince.