Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

twilight1909 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:that just gave me a lightbulb moment. i have often accused edward of being a control freak about bella. but now that i think about it, he's a control freak about bella's safety, not her person. i think that's an important difference. i think it lends some insight into the situation at the beginning of eclipse - in his eyes, to have bella be with jacob would be to give over his control over her safety, just as it would be to have sex with her. that's why he reacted so irrationally and wrongly.

I'm really glad that you see it that way now. That's always how I've interpreted Edward's behavior -- it's not about controlling Bella, it's about protecting her from harm (whether he causes it or not).
i've always seen it that way. i've always understood that it was always about bella's safety and not about controlling bella. it's just that, to me, acting in such an out-of-control, disrespectful, and controlling manner is NOT ok under any circumstances.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:he calls them "children" malaz.

but maybe we do it too. maybe we assign him more maturity than he really has. or maybe he has a lot more control over his emotions than most 17-year-olds, but bella is so disarming to him that he seems very young when he deals with her.
um..he doesn't call them "children" out of superiorty, because in truth he is older and knowledgable than them.

No, he is mature.
This is hard to explain but i'll try to do my best. I think as far as life, knowledge (science, facts...), maturity, and how to deal with certain things, etc. he is very very knowlegable and intelligent. But then when it comes to social experiences, like love. possibly the one kind of love he hasn't experienced first-hand (other than fatherly love, but that's beside the point). and with it, comes all sorts of other experiences...i suppose. am i making sense? anyhow. and he dealt with everything as amazingly capable as he could.

It's kind of funny, because i see Edward as this very intelligent and knowledagable 17 year old whose very smart...but he's an old soul (as in mature beyond his years...). i don't see him as a 107 stuck in a 17 year old's body. that's disturbing. it's sort of like switching bodies with my mom. and i am teenager in a 40 year old woman's body...i don't see him like that. I see him as a 17 year old boy whose very very very intelligent.
How do you guys see him?
klili2
Wandering Through Town

Post by klili2 »

I think Edward enjoyed, loved, and generally didn't want to stop kissing Bella but true to human form she let her emotions get away with her and wanted a more intense kiss (and who wouldn't) and he knew that was too far. She was losing control and that would lend him to the possibility of losing control, also.

klili
Thanks emaleth!
klili2
Wandering Through Town

Post by klili2 »

malaz wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:No, he is mature.
It's kind of funny, because i see Edward as this very intelligent and knowledagable 17 year old whose very smart...but he's an old soul (as in mature beyond his years...). i don't see him as a 107 stuck in a 17 year old's body. that's disturbing. it's sort of like switching bodies with my mom. and i am teenager in a 40 year old woman's body...i don't see him like that. I see him as a 17 year old boy whose very very very intelligent.
How do you guys see him?

I see him exactly the same way, almost. I don't see him as a boy, though. He looks like a young man but talks and thinks like an adult. He is an adult who has yet to experience certain things. I think because I am in my thirties this makes it easier for me to understand him. He is new to love and even adults act like teenagers when they are put in new situations that are emotional.

klili
Thanks emaleth!
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

Malaz, I didn't really mean that Edward was a 107 year old trapped in a 17 year old body. Yes, that is creepy. I just meant that he's not your typical 17 year old. If he was I don't think women of so many ages would find his character so attractive. I just think he is more mature and more intelligent than a 17 year old boy.

I agree with you guys though, Edward is definitely less mature in love. In all of his 100 years he has never experienced anything like it and he is dealing with it the best he can. And I think it's absolutely beautiful the way he gives himself (his thoughts and his heart) so freely to bella, once he comes to terms that he is going to be with her.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

klili2 wrote:
malaz wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:No, he is mature.
How do you guys see him?

I see him exactly the same way, almost. I don't see him as a boy, though. He looks like a young man but talks and thinks like an adult. He is an adult who has yet to experience certain things. I think because I am in my thirties this makes it easier for me to understand him. He is new to love and even adults act like teenagers when they are put in new situations that are emotional.

klili
wait did I say Edward is a boy?
yeah, i am mistaken. sorry. He is a man actaully. i absolutely agree with you.
A 17 year old man. that's unusual but it fits Edward. i guess.
klili2
Wandering Through Town

Post by klili2 »

Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote: And I think it's absolutely beautiful the way he gives himself (his thoughts and his heart) so freely to bella, once he comes to terms that he is going to be with her.
oh! I agree. I love how free his words flow and his humor comes out once he decides to be with her. He is such an interesting character. So victorian and modern at the same time, I think that is why girls (especially) and women are drawn to him. He is the stuff that our moms' fairytails said the prince would be, the epitomy of love. Too bad he wants to kill the love of his life! LOL

klili
Thanks emaleth!
twilighter_alice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilighter_alice »

Hmm... I think Edward does enjoy kissing her to some extent. But, as compard to in breaking Dawn, It would be like kissing food.
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

klili2 wrote:
Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote: And I think it's absolutely beautiful the way he gives himself (his thoughts and his heart) so freely to bella, once he comes to terms that he is going to be with her.
oh! I agree. I love how free his words flow and his humor comes out once he decides to be with her. He is such an interesting character. So victorian and modern at the same time, I think that is why girls (especially) and women are drawn to him. He is the stuff that our moms' fairytails said the prince would be, the epitomy of love. Too bad he wants to kill the love of his life! LOL

klili
Yes, but the fact that he wants to kill her, and fights so hard against his very nature NOT to is a part of what makes him so incredibly fascinating.
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
twilight1909 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:that just gave me a lightbulb moment. i have often accused edward of being a control freak about bella. but now that i think about it, he's a control freak about bella's safety, not her person. i think that's an important difference. i think it lends some insight into the situation at the beginning of eclipse - in his eyes, to have bella be with jacob would be to give over his control over her safety, just as it would be to have sex with her. that's why he reacted so irrationally and wrongly.

I'm really glad that you see it that way now. That's always how I've interpreted Edward's behavior -- it's not about controlling Bella, it's about protecting her from harm (whether he causes it or not).
i've always seen it that way. i've always understood that it was always about bella's safety and not about controlling bella. it's just that, to me, acting in such an out-of-control, disrespectful, and controlling manner is NOT ok under any circumstances.
No offense, but you just contradicted yourself. In the first post you said "i have often accused edward of being a control freak about bella. but now that i think about it..." And now you're saying you've "always seen it that way"? I figured by the "lightbulb moment" you meant it was an epiphany for you.
Anyway, I agree that it's an important difference.

Random thought: I saw the movie for the 2nd time today, and I'm a lot happier with "Edward Cullen." The magic that is Edward was not ruined this time. :D
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo