Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AliceLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by AliceLove »

Yeah... I feel really bad for her... it was someone close to her who did it too... :(
It was really intense though, reading it from Edward's POV, his thinking is so deep and he thinks so much!!! I was so sad though because it stopped before the whole meadow thing...

Thanks ilovetwilight!
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

Just wait a couple of years... Edward will start talking to her again... we'll get the entire draft eventually. It may not be soon, but it will happen. :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
Leoni
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Leoni »

Well, this is beyond crushing. I understand how hurt she must be, a first draft is often completely different to what is eventually published and SM has a work ethic that prevents her from producing anything that she is not completely happy with so having her fans read something that she feels is sub-standard will be very difficult for her.

Saying that, as a person who is not only fascinated with the Twilight world but an undeniable Literature Geek I read the 12 Chapters in the spirit that they are just an incomplete first draft and I have to say, if it is never completed and published, it will be a crime!

I feel slightly guilty for reading something that she isn't happy to be read, but I just see it like all those volumes by authors that were written for their own private collection, like poetry and short stories by Sylvia Plath, sonnets by Shakespeare, works by Oscar Wilde and I just thought...its not exactly the same thing, but it's enough of a flimsy excuse for me to go on! :lol:
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken

E<3B

KStew and RPatz

Post by KStew and RPatz »

I refuse to read it!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I read it... grudgingly. It almost killed me when she said that she would rather her fans not read it but I couldnt stop myself. It was amazing and worth it. I know it is not nearly done, but the insight it gave me into Edwards thoughts, precise or not, gave me a new outlook on New Moon, which I DESPISED at first. I hated Edward throughout the book just because I thought he was the biggest moron on earth (or in twilight).Now that I can at least relate with his reasoning I can re-read the book with a new outlook.
By holyguacamole43 at 2008-05-31
VampRhix
Settled in Forks

Post by VampRhix »

I totally agree with Rob there...when I've read Midnight Sun it gave me a new perspective into reading Twilight again...I even read MS along with Twilight to see the continuous reaction of Bella and Edward on a certain scenario. Got disappointed though when it didn't reach to that scene in the meadow, just like AliceLove said...I really hope that SM will finish writing the rest of MS...
Keeping high hopes for this!
oliveros2626
Settled in Forks

Post by oliveros2626 »

Wow, all I can say is "WOW"!! I really didnt want to read the partial draft of midnight sun because i really felt for SM but, at the same time i couldnt resist. it was wonderful. it made me want to read twilight all over again. looking at things through Edwards eyes makes it seem like a completely different story even though i know most of the parts from reading the book. I love it. I love every bit of it and i hope and pray that SM decides to complete writing it soon. I really cant wait.
amie

Post by amie »

The expression that comes to mind is "Beggars can't be choosers" - aren't we all begging for more Twilight? Wouldn't we take Edward however we could get him?

Nothing I've read or heard suggests any malicious goal with the leak - in fact, in an interview with Rob, Stephenie and Kristen, Rob mentions that he thought he was to blame briefly, because he couldn't find it on his computer. He realized it wasn't him, and Stephenie says she knows who it was and knows it wasn't him. But it goes to show you - it's on a computer, the computer is out of sight, and the wrong person can easily get ahold of it through no fault of the trusted individual. Book drafts have to be sent to dozens of people, and she chose to give them to a few more. Since everyone reading the draft was human (or possibly vampire) mistakes will be made. I think Stephenie has been more than gracious in her explanation of her feelings about this, whereas I would be hunting someone down to do serious damage to them.

Yes, the ending is already determined, but that's what makes it harder. Let's say I'm writing Twilight for the first time, it gets leaked. Well, if it were me, and some work of mine got leaked before I was ready, I'd change it. I would make it so that James wins, or Bella kills Edward and marries Jacob, or something just to spite the person who caused the leak.

But Stephenie can't do that here. She is bound by that little math equation y'all keep tossing around. Only it isn't 2+2=4. It's more like 2+2=3+1 or 4+0 or 7-3 She still has to end up with something equal to 4, but how she gets there isn't as set in stone. That is a much, much harder form of creation than simple free form imagination. It's painstaking the amount of work required, drawing direct quotes and fitting them from Bella's mind into Edward's. It is much more challenging to drive from NY to LA, forget having to make some very specific stops along the way, than it is to get in the car and drive for three days and end up anywhere you'd like.

I found what I read fascinating (and didn't and wouldn't have read it until she posted it on her own site) because it showed me how complete her world was in her mind, even before we saw it - for example, being able to see that Bella thought the window opened easily, when in MS Edward had already oiled the sill at that point.

I would love to read more.

But art done on demand (as someone who has made a living as an artist myself) is no longer passionate art, and it loses its soul too quickly.

I'll be here when and if she's ready to put out more, and I understand if more doesn't come. Supporting someone means backing up their decisions either way, even if you don't necessarily like the outcome.
Last edited by amie on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leoni

Post by Leoni »

amie wrote:The expression that comes to mind is "Beggars can't be choosers" - aren't we all begging for more Twilight? Wouldn't we take Edward however we could get him?
Well said Amie! I totally agree.

I find myself reading fanfiction just to get a Twilight fix. So I was definately not able to resist this.
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken

E<3B

Jack
Learning to Love Green
Location: 3-1-14-1-4-1.... That's right... tis' Shneaky indeed...

Post by Jack »

I find that I can't get myself to read the draft. I understand the book may never come out, but I do do some spare writing on my free time and I know that when a story wants to be told, it's not going to let go so easily. So I have faith that Stephenie will finish the book. I'll read it when I can buy it.
*Jack*
"Hear The Sound, The Angels Come Screaming Down..." - MCR
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC Inc.- Emmett's Demolition Company