Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by Amethyst1 »

haha. how ironic! we have the same issue. but yep! i totally agree with you. i don't want to turn it into a 'jake' thread either. there's already one. haha. but i would love to see that argument sometime. hopefully :D
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

This is something I've spent an obscene amount of time considering, and since I liked so many people's comments, I won't bother quoting, I'll just say my piece. :D

First of all, I will say that I loved Edward from the beginning. He was the classic, chivalrous, drop-dead-gorgeous guy we all wish for. From the get go, I wanted Bella to turn vampire and spend eternity with him. I knew that her human family and friends would make it difficult, but I trusted that it would work out somehow.

Regarding Jacob...I won't get to far into discussing him since there's another forum for him in particular, but I have never liked him and Bella together, not even from the beginning. To me, he always came off as rude and kind of mean, with a few exceptions when he was trying hard to be sweet. (The best example I can think of is that scene in Eclipse where Edward is translating his thoughts and simply says, "He wants to know why" and Jake actually said, "Well that was stupid, why'd you do that" or something. Edward is clearly the more gentlemanly of the two.). Also, there seemed to be a VAST difference betrween his treatment of Bella and Edward's treatment of her, particularly if you only look at the physical side of things.

Saying Edward is abusive seems way off the mark if you ask me, when you consider that on multiple occasions, Jake nearly phased into his wolf self out of anger (we saw what happened to Emily when Sam did that...), and that it seemed that he was always yanking her around or squeezing her to the point where she couldn't breathe. Edward was nearly too careful in his physical interactions with Bella. And, while I definitely think it was strange for him to watch her sleep before they were an official couple, I think that once they were together, it stopped being weird.

Something I like about Stephenie's writing is that her characterizations happen in so many ways. Instead of just writing a chapter on Edward in all his glory, she lets us see him through Bella's eyes.

I'm so incredibly excited about Midnight Sun, I can hardly contain myself. I can't WAIT to see Twilight through his eyes...it's gonna be awesome.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
bananabutter
Settled in Forks

Post by bananabutter »

Hi Pinket! I totally agree with you. I mean what is up with that? And has anyone noticed that Edward is pneumatic depressant? And I totally agree on the "dirty deed" stuff Miss Meyers even says that fluids in their body get replaced with venom? It's kind of strange, maybe Edward is just drawing Bella in like predator to prey and she really doesn't love him. Because he is her predator you know, and maybe Jasper's in on it too. Maybe he's also making her feel like she loves him. Talk about abusive...
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

bananabutter wrote:And has anyone noticed that Edward is pneumatic depressant? And I totally agree on the "dirty deed" stuff Miss Meyers even says that fluids in their body get replaced with venom? It's kind of strange, maybe Edward is just drawing Bella in like predator to prey and she really doesn't love him. Because he is her predator you know, and maybe Jasper's in on it too. Maybe he's also making her feel like she loves him. Talk about abusive...
I'm really hoping you're joking with this because if not...it's not a very fair statement. It's actually really interesting what you all have to say about Edward. I don't agree with most of it, but it's interesting nonetheless. The issue on whether or not Edward is "abusive" has been debated so many times and so much better than anything that I can say, that I'll moreorless stay way from it. I don't think he's an abusive boyfriend. I know what an abusive boyfriend is and Edward does not fit into that category. He's 'controlling', yes. He's overreacts waaaaaaay too much. He's too dramatic, yes. He has so much freaking ANGST that it almost becomes unbearable. These are some characteristics OF an abusive boyfriend, but it doesn't make him abusive per se. He was actually walking on a thin line in Eclipse, but he crossed back over[with the exception of the manipulation] But those are just his negative qualities. He's loving, he's selfless, he compassioniate, and over time, he becomes trusting. By far, I think his positive qualities outshine his negative qualities. Stephenie created him that way. If he was meant to be seen in such a negative light, I don't think he'd have such a huge following.

That being said, OF COURSE there will be people who don't like him. It's only natural that his characteristics might be appalling to others. I guess it's all about personal preference. You all have the right to dislike Edward, there's no crime there, but there should be a certain fairness to it. I certainly can very easily list the problems I have with such charcters as Jacob Black, Rosalie, Leah, Billy, or even Sam.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

ok, i'm not really liking all this talk about abusive edward. HES NOT ABUSIVE!! bella wants edward to do 99% of what hes doing! ok, so he's a little overpretective. BIG DEAL. i'd rather have someone who is overpretective rather than just lets me do whatever i want and get myself killed. i mean, seriously, how often has edward actually saved bellas life while being overpretective? a lot!

now, lets move on to the stalker comments. edward, at first, is a bit creepy. the whole sneaking into her bedroom at night would freak me out. but, bella finds out, and then asks him to spend the night in her room with her. after that, you can really call it stalking. she knows hes around.
going along with that, someone about a page back said that when mike stalks bella, its annoying, and when edward stalks her, it doesn't matter. well, neither edward nor mike are actually stalking her, so i don't really see the point there. bella wants edward to be with her. mike is just a friend who still has his hopes up. i see no signs of stalking.

and now the heartbroken side. this has been debated so many times, and i'd like people to look at the facts. edward left bella so that she could be safe. it broke them both, but at the time, edward thought that bellas safety was over everything else. he was doing what he thought would be best for bella. he now realizes that he never should have done that. he never meant to leave her heartbroken. edward had no idea bella would act this way. end of story.

and that leaves us with the jasper comment. you do realize that edward left partially because he wanted to keep bella safe from his brother, right? so, he is not favoring one side or the other when it comes to protection. he has seen what werewolves can do, and at first he was very sceptical. plus, you have to realize, the werewolf thing came in right after he almost lost bella, so of course he is going to be especially protective. in eclipse and breaking dawn, though, he actually allies with them. so, he does not side with one or another completely. he is just trying to keep bella safe. period.

this is just my opinion. i realize that some people do not like edward, and i also realize that people will not agree with any or all that i said. i'm just letting out what i think. edward is one great guy, and one that many boys should try to be like, as far as personallity goes. i'll be lucky if i get someone 1/3 of what edward is.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
WishIWasACullen

Post by WishIWasACullen »

One of the things that I like most about Edward is the thing that a lot of people dislike about him: I love how over protective he is. Sure, it gets annoying sometimes but it shows just how much he cares about Bella. And in all honesty, the girl needs it. His intensity is so endearing and, might I add, sexy. Also, the wisdom with which he speaks is so incredibly gripping. I love reading his dialogue because he is always so eloquent and, even, poetic. It's like listening to a beautiful melody...at least that's how I read it :D

Random note 1: I always wanted to smell Edward's scent. The one that Bella always describes--OR the sweet scent of his breath. Someone should put out a line of Twilight fragrances--you know, a musky, fierce scent for Team Jacob, a sweet, succulent maybe even fruity scent for Team Edward, something kind of usual for Team Switzerland. And Bella's scent even. That would be quite interesting....

Random note 2: I love Edward as a father. Although we didn't get to see very much of his parenting abilities, you could tell that he loves Renesmee (after she's out of Bella of course). You can already see his over-protectiveness shining through when he gets angry with Jacob for having imprinted on her. :)

Random note 3: I CANNOT believe that, during Bella's pregnancy, he tells Jacob that he can basically impregnate Bella. Well, I can believe it because he doesn't want Bella to die and because he loves her enough to give her what she wants (a child) but still. A guy has to be pretty sure of himself to do something like that.

Edward is just amazing. Besides all of the aforementioned characteristics, he is handsome, smart, DAZZLING and exactly my brand of heroin. :lol:
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

WishIWasACullen

Post by WishIWasACullen »

urcoolcarrie wrote: and now the heartbroken side. this has been debated so many times, and i'd like people to look at the facts. edward left bella so that she could be safe. it broke them both, but at the time, edward thought that bellas safety was over everything else. he was doing what he thought would be best for bella. he now realizes that he never should have done that. he never meant to leave her heartbroken. edward had no idea bella would act this way. end of story.
To add to what I just posted, I really like what this poster had to say about this. So many people think that Edward is just a big jerk for leaving her like that, and, honestly, I felt like that for a while too. But, I believe, while being dazzled by Edward and his "perfection" we often forget that he ISN'T, indeed, perfect. We forget that he was once human and still has very human thoughts and impulses sometimes. And humans make mistakes, misjudge or are over optimistic. Edward thought that leaving Bella would be best for her safety, but he misjudged, he was over-optimistic that he would just fade away from her mind and that she would fade from his. He made a mistake. He's no Alice people!! He couldn't foresee that she would jump off cliffs to hear his voice! Just thought I'd add my two cents on that issue. :D
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

urcoolcarrie wrote:now, lets move on to the stalker comments. edward, at first, is a bit creepy. the whole sneaking into her bedroom at night would freak me out. but, bella finds out, and then asks him to spend the night in her room with her.
Thank you urcoolcarrie. Edward is NOT abusive. Controlling[to a certain extent], yes. Overprotective, yes. Prone to exaggeration, yes. I pretty much agree with everything you've said, except this. I actually don't find the window thing creepy, but that's mostly because by the time we knew he was doing that, his intentions were clear and we knew he wasn't a creep. :P
after that, you can really call it stalking.
Oh. I think this was more referred to in the beginning when he used to follow her around. It's stalking, but for a good cause. I don't see trying to keep someone alive as being negative, whether it's "mingling with fate" or not.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

you can't call anything that edward did abuse. abuse is, first of all, a pattern. it's done to intentionally hurt someone or assert control or power. it takes edward a LONG time to recognize his mistakes, since he's extremely stubborn, but once he realizes them, he feels terrible, prompting him to change and correct them. which is why i DO like him, just jake more.

i am going to ignore various comments about my jacob since this is, after all, an edward forum, but i invite anyone who has opinions on him to the jacob thread.

i don't find edward to be abusive, creepy, stalkerish, or any of those things. he has flaws - oh yes, he has them - but they aren't damning. we need to discuss them and such because we are discussing edward as a whole, but those flaws don't make him a bad person. in fact, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a better person than edward.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

WishIWasACullen, holdingoutforjacob, and Bloodlust, i agree with you three completely. to restate what i have already posted, edward is not abusive, and he left bella for a reason.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin