General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Rosalie's Story

Post by Lunna-san »

PrincessSparkle84 wrote:I am going to sound like a monster here, but I had a hard time really feeling bad for Rosalie when she was telling Bella about why/how she was changed. Now before you freak out on me, I feel bad for what happened to her and I agree 150% that what happend to Rose was disgusting, vile, and horrible. Rape is a horrifying thing, and I can imagine it would be even worse when done by someone you trust. BUT I found that whole story to be hard for me to believe. I just didn't get why her fiance would so randomly do that to her, especially to the point of death. My mind doesn't work in gruesome ways, so I guess I just have a hard time finding this story believable. Am I the only one??
Royce King was the type of guy who thinks that just because he has some money, beauty and his family is "important", he rules the world. Rosalie, for him, was an arm candy. Add to this alcohool and a bunch of equally jerk-like friends and you'll have a gang of trouble makers and, eventualy, rapists. He attacked her because he though he could. Rosalie was his to dispose her as he liked. It was about power, not sex. And Lioness is right. It happens with much more frequency than you imagine.

About Rosalie and not having children, I understand why she feels so frustrated. She lost everything in such a young age and so brutally. Nobody deserves to suffer the way she did. I know she looked at Bella and felt frustrated, jealous and bitter.

However, ladies. And, please, this is just my opnion. I don't think this gives her license to treat anyone the way she does. Just because I don't agree with your choices in life, I think I still have to respect that. Of course she doesn't have to like Bella. But a bit of politeness for her being her brother's wife it would be interesting. Well manners doesn't hurt anyone. Rosalie keeps forgetting she's part of a family, where respect and consideration are essential to make that work. And, okay, she's stucked as a vampire. If she's so unhappy, she can ask the Volturi to kill her anytime. She lost a lot, but she also won things too - a partner for eternity, a loving family, that accept her, besides her flaws. So, for me, Rosalie is a lot of things. But she's not a victim.

And, yes it probably was hard for her to take care of Bella in pregnancy... for a while. I was readeng agains this part in BD and she seemed quite fascinated about the whole thing. Greedy, I'd say. And then, if was such a sacrifice, why didn't she say "no"? I don't think Rosalie is the type who can be easily manipulated. She saw the oportunity she didn't expected before. Bella... well she was trying to save her child and she would do it to any cost, even. If Rosalie had refused, I bet she would have ran away to have the baby. So, did Bella used Rosalie to keep Renesmee? Yes. Did Rosalie manipulated Bella do to as her wished during pregnancy, in order to reach her goal, which was the child? Yes. So, I believe, it was an alliance based on common interests, where both sides had much to lose.
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Lioness Rampant »

Lunna-san wrote: About Rosalie and not having children, I understand why she feels so frustrated. She lost everything in such a young age and so brutally. Nobody deserves to suffer the way she did. I know she looked at Bella and felt frustrated, jealous and bitter.

However, ladies. And, please, this is just my opnion. I don't think this gives her license to treat anyone the way she does. Just because I don't agree with your choices in life, I think I still have to respect that. Of course she doesn't have to like Bella. But a bit of politeness for her being her brother's wife it would be interesting. Well manners doesn't hurt anyone. Rosalie keeps forgetting she's part of a family, where respect and consideration are essential to make that work. And, okay, she's stucked as a vampire. If she's so unhappy, she can ask the Volturi to kill her anytime. She lost a lot, but she also won things too - a partner for eternity, a loving family, that accept her, besides her flaws. So, for me, Rosalie is a lot of things. But she's not a victim.

And, yes it probably was hard for her to take care of Bella in pregnancy... for a while. I was readeng agains this part in BD and she seemed quite fascinated about the whole thing. Greedy, I'd say. And then, if was such a sacrifice, why didn't she say "no"? I don't think Rosalie is the type who can be easily manipulated. She saw the oportunity she didn't expected before. Bella... well she was trying to save her child and she would do it to any cost, even. If Rosalie had refused, I bet she would have ran away to have the baby. So, did Bella used Rosalie to keep Renesmee? Yes. Did Rosalie manipulated Bella do to as her wished during pregnancy, in order to reach her goal, which was the child? Yes. So, I believe, it was an alliance based on common interests, where both sides had much to lose.
I totally hear where you are coming from, Lunna-san, I 100% agree
ColormeBSG
elibat
Settled in Forks

Post by elibat »

When it comes to Rosalie's story, yes, I feel bad for her but I also think she's needs to let it go. Things like this happen to people everyday and, although they may not be killed because of it, they understand that it happened and it's over. Not only that but Rosalie killed the men who did it, so they got what was coming.
Rosalie, I think, takes for granted what she does have and that just irritates me. This is mostly what makes me see her as selfish.
With the pregnancy, I doubt Bella called her without being fully aware that Rosalie would do anything to get the child. In this situation, and because of that, I don't think Rosalie was being selfish since Bella wanted Renesmee to live as much as she did.
I dislike Rosalie for her ungratefulness and rudeness, not for the way she acted with/towards Bella and Renesmee. :roll:
I guess things are going to be kind of boring now, aren't they?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i agree with you elibat. i don't think she wronged bella in any way during her pregnancy but i DO think it was a prime example of her selfish and self-centeredness.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
~Justified Werewolf~
Settled in Forks

Post by ~Justified Werewolf~ »

Let me state that I am a firm believer in Karma, and that Rose redeemed herself in Breaking Dawn.

When I heard her story in Eclipse, I kindof felt bad for her, but now I can fully appreciate the character.
Ella12
Settled in Forks

Post by Ella12 »

I dont think she redeemed herself in Breaking Dawn, you got to see more of her character and that she was capable of being (Figuratively) human. But as for making up for her past rudeness? no. She used Bella merely as a means to get what she wanted, and, in doing so Bella finally made a decision that she would have make herself and that made Bell & Rosalie able to be friendlier. I've always liked Rosalie as a character, she was slightly misunderstood and she did have a really tough time, I hate thinking about what happened to her, it was terrible and i think most people were more sympathetic to her after that, myself included. Whoa, this sounds really negative, I do really like Rosalie, especially after BD.

Another thought, just thinking about the likeness in names Rosalind (of Romeo and Juliet) and Rosalie.
eternally_yours
Settled in Forks

Post by eternally_yours »

I was certainly more sympathetic towards Rosalie once I heard her history. However, that's not to say I didn't like her before. Though Edward had excused her actions as based on jealousy and she was always described as rather vain and shallow, I always thought there was something more to her character that we just weren't seeing. In learning her back story, I think her character became a little more faceted and I understood better her attitude towards Bella and why she did what she did in Breaking Dawn. Though I understood it, I was still a little put-off by her actions in BD because (as I read it) I agreed with Jacob and Edward's assumptions that she really cared about the baby, but not as much about what happened to Bella.

Tyr
Settled in Forks

Post by Tyr »

I skipped from page 4 to this post so I appologize if I am saying something someone else has already.

I never hated Rose, she seemed fiercly protective of her family, and if you re-read twilight ignoring what you know later it looks that way. She hated that Bella knew about her family because humans can become angry and jealous and just ruin everything.

After reading her story I got a little depressed and I understood her better. The idea of someone you care about hurting you like that would make anyone bitter. She wanted a full happy life, now she is stuckin this endless life where she can't get any of it.

During the pregnancy I agree with other posters, we were seeing it through Jacob's eyes and he hated Rose because he thought she just wanted the baby. Read after her transformation, even Bella is shocked that her connection to Rose seemed to have survived at least a little. Rose said she didn't think it was right for her to give up her human dreams, now Bella has it all a loving husband, a beautiful daughter, and a loving family who will be with her forever. Rose might get jealous yes but she spoils Nessie rotten and loves her endlessly as do the rest fo the Cullens.

Overall, I think I really like Rose, she is not some shallow petty vampire but a women who has been through and seen to much, missed out on everything she wanted and didn't want to see someone throw their life away when she would give it all up to have her old life back.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

Tyr wrote:I skipped from page 4 to this post so I appologize if I am saying something someone else has already.

I never hated Rose, she seemed fiercly protective of her family, and if you re-read twilight ignoring what you know later it looks that way. She hated that Bella knew about her family because humans can become angry and jealous and just ruin everything.

After reading her story I got a little depressed and I understood her better. The idea of someone you care about hurting you like that would make anyone bitter. She wanted a full happy life, now she is stuckin this endless life where she can't get any of it.

During the pregnancy I agree with other posters, we were seeing it through Jacob's eyes and he hated Rose because he thought she just wanted the baby. Read after her transformation, even Bella is shocked that her connection to Rose seemed to have survived at least a little. Rose said she didn't think it was right for her to give up her human dreams, now Bella has it all a loving husband, a beautiful daughter, and a loving family who will be with her forever. Rose might get jealous yes but she spoils Nessie rotten and loves her endlessly as do the rest fo the Cullens.

Overall, I think I really like Rose, she is not some shallow petty vampire but a women who has been through and seen to much, missed out on everything she wanted and didn't want to see someone throw their life away when she would give it all up to have her old life back.

Wow, I could not agree more. This is pretty much EXACTLY what I was going to post just now, but you said it much more eloquently than I would have!

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I always knew there was more to Rose than just what the first two books told us...I think her story helped me connect with her although I always suspected that she took being turned into a vampire was the hardest...she did kind of irritate me in BD though only because it seemed like she was more concerned about the baby than Bella's life