General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Re: The Transformation

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Destani wrote:I was just thinking about something. I was re-reading Twilight recently and was wondering if Bella would have been a typical blood-crazed newborn if she had been changed in the ballet studio. Do you think it was the time she had to mentally prepare for the transformation, the fact that she was destined to be a vampire, or a combination of both that helped her handle everything so well?
I personally think it's a combination of both, maybe leaning more in the direction of the preparation. I think that because she knew of the life before she was changed and what she was to expect, she was able to be like, "well if that's what it's going ot be like, I have to try and be good and control it".
None of the others had this preparation, so we don't know whether it makes any difference about whether the knowledge is able to help you, but i believe it does.
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
Ichigo Kitty
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

I thought part of Bella's gift was self-control? I thought I read that somewhere in the book. I think that Bella was good at it because it was part of her gift and like you said, she knew what to expect.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Tyr
Settled in Forks

Post by Tyr »

Carlisle or Edward speculated that she might have some slef control ability, but in truth hers was the shield. I think it helped that she was destined to become a vampire, her human form could smell blood. The preperation helped a lot i bet.
ElectricBadger
Settled in Forks

Post by ElectricBadger »

I think Edward's venom had a great deal to do with how Bella was after she transformed.

My interpretation of La cantua tua (or whatever the term is, exactly) is that it serves the same function as the imprinting of the shapeshifters; that it aligns an ideal 'genetic' match between a vampire and a human in such a way that a bite is inevitable, to procreate the species. But, like everything else vampiric, it's overdone to an extreme, which in most cases makes it counter-productive.

There are a couple comments I base this on, the main one being the repeated remark that Bella seemed 'designed to be a vampire'. I haven't quite the time to hunt down every remark, but I know it was said a couple times before Alice mentions it during the transformation. The Italians also remark that she's one of the most promising humans for a transformation (specifically for her talent). In MS, Edward ponders reasons that Bella had been put in front of him as an irresistable force: her smell, her resistance to his ability, her (curious) lack of fear for him specifically, as though she were designed to be an ideal companion for him.

In a broader sense, Edward and Bella act in many ways similar to an imprinted pair: if not love at first sight, they were definitely entranced with one another from their first glance. And a full 'imprinting' wouldn't make sense 'genetically': attaching wholy to one person to the exclusion of all others wouldn't make much sense to vampiric 'breeding' as it would to shapeshifters.

Bella's clumsiness is another hint. Although it's a defining aspect of her human nature, within moments of her transformation she's described as 'graceful, even for a vampire,' without even practicing. Like a puppy growing into it's too-large paws, I imagine Bella's more suited to another form: her human self is awkward, in a transitional state, not a finished one.

The control she has in her final form is another supporting feature, although minor in my opinion, since other ideas were forwarded to account for it: namely her own shield and her preparation as a human.

I think that, had Bella been changed by any vampire other than Edward, she wouldn't have had such an easy and spectacular transformation.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Do you think if Charlie knew definitively that she was a vampire that he would have acted any differently?
Tyr
Settled in Forks

Post by Tyr »

Thre is a thread called Charlie's Reaction.

It was before Travel Plans in BD Bella thinks that she was born to be a vampire and it makes sense through her eyes. She was a good student but not the best, she was in no way social, physical or hardly anything human. But as a Vampire, she is perfect, unheard of control for a new born, being next to a scent like her father's (She describes it as being at least twice as delicious as the hiker's blood) for a full day and not moving to attack him.

That brings up an interesting idea though, perhaps there are more in the world of Twilight who would be perfectly suited for a life as a vampire but are not. As ElectricBadger said maybe its their form of procreation, but that would also mean Emmett was meant to change the middle age women and old man.
cullen_kissez

Post by cullen_kissez »

eliselovesedwardx wrote:
Destani wrote:I was just thinking about something. I was re-reading Twilight recently and was wondering if Bella would have been a typical blood-crazed newborn if she had been changed in the ballet studio. Do you think it was the time she had to mentally prepare for the transformation, the fact that she was destined to be a vampire, or a combination of both that helped her handle everything so well?
I personally think it's a combination of both, maybe leaning more in the direction of the preparation. I think that because she knew of the life before she was changed and what she was to expect, she was able to be like, "well if that's what it's going ot be like, I have to try and be good and control it".
None of the others had this preparation, so we don't know whether it makes any difference about whether the knowledge is able to help you, but i believe it does.
thats what I thought too..
Edward's venom and her preparation from the other Cullen's had a big part in it.. also, I'm guessing she'd already seen the newborns from the previous book and she tried hard not to be like that.. plus, Bella herself has a huge heart, she cared for a lot of people in a strong way, and remember Carlisle & Eleazar both said that humans sometimes took certain skills with them into their immortal life.. Bella was always clumsy and she had a very private mind, and she was very self-conscious from the beginning.. those were all heightened when she transformed, albeit she became a very graceful vampire instead of clumsy, more graceful than Alice even..
.:: why try and fit in when I was born to stand out? ::.

..and then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever.
E<3B
Tessalc
Settled in Forks

Post by Tessalc »

The way I look at is that Bella was born to be a vampire (as forementioned), and so she didn't have as many difficulties. Also I think her reaction to blood might have something to do with it, she hated the sight of blood so maybe human blood wasn't so irresistable to her! I think it is a combination of these and Edward's venom, her preperation and knowledge.
I'm Edward's Bella!
"I know-I'll play you for it," Alice suggested. "Rock, paper, scissors."
"Why don't you just tell me who wins?" Edward said wryly"
Alice beamed. "I do. Excellent."
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by iamthevampiregirl »

Broken-Mirror wrote:I was really dissapointed in how she was changed but with everything happening in the book I didn't think about it until later. I wonder if she would think about it later and be dissapointed also that she was changed in a rather medical way while she was unconcious. I was really hoping for some really romantic scene of her looking into his eyes so he would be her last human sight and then him whispering "I love you..... forever" or something before finally biting her. Where is my sadistic blood-romance scene??

It didn't really bug me too much but I was hoping for a more private personal moment than ripping a baby out of her and injecting her with poison.
:lol: me too! I imagined them to make a ritual about it - obviously not!
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I guess that was Stephenie adding a twist.