A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
When Bella was in the hospital after James's attack in Twilight, I knew he was going to try to save her by leaving her in eventually. Then after Jasper tried to bite her, I knew it was coming. When I read the title o the chapter my heart started racing, and when I read her thought "This is bad. This is Really, really bad" I knew he was going to do it. I was scared what would happen to Bella. I wasn't sure how he would do it though, and he was so harsh... It was terrible. I knew it killed him just as much as it did her.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I have. I am a military wife, so I have to tell my husband buy alot. I've seen him a total of 5 months over the last 2 years, and the first time two soulmates are seperated, it literally feels not just emotional but a physical pain. I totally understood what she meant. This had to be the hardest book for me to get through because I could relate so well. Only diference is I always knew Edward would come back.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I knew he would come back. He loves her too much. He would eventually cave into the pain and come running back to her. I hate how harsh he had to be, but he was right. She would NOT have let him go unless she truly believed he did not want her. The most obsurd rediculous though. As if there was any way he could exist without needing her ;)

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didn't like it. It just seemed wierd when he was there. The sniffing totally threw me off also.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
Well if I'm being honest. After I read "Love, Life, Meaning, Over." I was waiting on him to hold her, and comfort her. To protect her again. I practically sped read until I read "I did not resurface." I literally chunked the book across the room. And sat there severlly depressed. Then I went and picked it up and skipped to the end to make sure Edward returned. I saw his name and flipped to where I was at in the book. Every page I turned during the month pages I said aloud "Oh My God". I totally understand what she went through... It hit home a little too hard I suppose
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

No it didn't I did have a feeling when she said that Edward wasn't speaking to her, and when she came home and he was there, he ignored her almost completely and he didn't stay over. And as the other days went by I gold just feel it comming to an end, I knew he was going to leave at any moment because of what he said at the hospital at the end in Twilight he was going to stay until it was best for her.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yes I have it's the most devastating feeling, like the world has come to and end and everything beautifull has disapeared from the face of the earth. And you do feel hollow inside and sometimes spasms when you think about what happend or him. I cried so much it was unbelivable my eyes hurt and were swollen.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I used to have self esteem isues when I was alot younger and still do sometimes. So I knew that Edward wasn't going to back down from his decision to leave Bella and do whatever was necessary to make her understand. I didn't expect that he would take the I don't love you anymore/you bore me I was so hurt and shocked I wasn't able to see the words at some point because I was crying so hard.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I didn't know exactly what to make of him, I did not dislike him but there was something about him that made me a bit untrusting of him.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.

I cried so hard I knew that it was that long before she could actually try not to feel anything and try not to remember. As I said I have experienced it, it hurt's to remember and think and you just want to sleep while being awake, I don't know if that makes sense.
Last edited by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? I felt something bad was coming, but not that. Never that. :cry:

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? I don't really have anything like that to compare it to.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I just thought, "No, no, he has to come back. He's going to come back. No, no, no." :cry:

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I was still in shock that Edward was gone, Sam was just a ghost to me.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. Despair, complete and utter despair. :(
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
BiteMeEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by BiteMeEdward »

After Bella was hurt by James in Twilight, I knew Edward would be constantly considering leaving Bella to make life safer for her. I could sense that something bad was going to happen in New Moon after Jasper tried to attack Bella but I wasn't anticipating something so drastic. When I read the chapter title "The End" I got a huge lump in my throat. I could see it coming. I knew he was leaving but as I read him say that he didn't want Bella I was so confused. I couldn't grasp what he was saying. I finally realized he was leaving and I was absolutely shocked and upset (even though I was anticipating it) I threw the book at the wall and started crying. I couldn't read again for days. Because I was so sad for Bella.

I have never been in a serious relationship with a boy so I have never needed to grasp one slipping away. However, this has happened to me with a friendship and it is probably the most heart-wretching feeling ever.

Like Bella, I didn't understand what he meant at first. However, I realized before Bella what he meant and it immediately grasped reality for me. I knew that Edward wouldn't give her such a serious speech and then come running back to her. I read New Moon when it first came out so I was anticipating Bella to end up with Jacob throughout New Moon (until Alice came back). Since I didn't know whether or not the Cullens would come back, I originally thought that after Bella ended up with Jacob, the Cullens would return in 5 years or so. I don't know why I thought this would happen. I guess I just let my imagination go wild.

I didn't really think anything of him. I was still in shock. I really just thought he was part of a search party that Charlie had organized and nothing more.

As I read these pages, I was shocked. I felt Bella's pain in that, without Edward, her life was as blank as the "months" pages. I was so sad to see how much his leaving changed her. I was also very surprised to realize that without Edward, Bella was just a body (she didn't have a personality or a life, really because Edward WAS her life).
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I was really surprised that it came to this. I felt something coming on but not that they were leaving indefinitely and as far as Bella was concerned forever.

Yeah, with just one of my relationships. I was in love, I can definitely relate to how she was feeling through the whole chapter. It was kind of like deja vu for me. Very very sad part of the book I was depressed the whole day.

I really did believe him. That's part of the reason I was so sad. =(

I was wondering who he was.

It really made me sad.. I cried (again) I could relate to this again. The fact that she couldn't live without him ..ugh.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
mrs0cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by mrs0cullen »

to be honest this was my least favorite chapter in the saga. it was the only one that made me burst out in tears :cry: .
here's what happpened:
i was over at my friends house-she is also twilight obsessed but she was on the epilouge in NM- and when he dropped the first hint of him leaving i yelled "NO EDWARD DON"T DO IT'' and burst out in tears. once i finished the 3rd chapter i literally threw the book across the room and out the open window. not kidding. :twisted: my friend went to go get it since i was in a mental break down. i was rolling on the floor screamng edwards name. that chapter left the same emotional hole as it did bella. my friend put the book back in my bag. and came over a comforted me. she didn't feel this way 'cause she's team jacob but me i love edward as much as bella if not more. i didn't get any sleep i was crying so much it took me an hour and a half to stop yelling edwards name. and my friend stayed up all night with me so didn't comit suicide cause i swear i did try a couple times what a good friend she is. we watched all the piontless movies ondemand and she put some blankets over me and gave me ice cream and helped me get over it it took all night and them some to stop crying but when i was ready she took the book from my bag and read it slowly and calmly and before you knew it bella was cliff diving and i didn't have to go to a mental home. the end :D
TWILIGHT
giving hope to clumsy girls everywhere...including me
katiekat
Settled in Forks

Post by katiekat »

I knew Edward was really upset about what happened. When he suggested they take a walk, I knew what he was going to do and why.

I did not believe him, but Bella did because she never felt that she was good enough for him. I think it took everything he had to leave her.

Definitely that he would play an imortant role in the future.

When I came across these pages, I just *gasped*. Bella was completely devasted - numb - dead inside. Very effective method of conveying Bella's heartbreak.
I thought I’d explained it clearly before. Bella, I can’t live in a world where you don’t exist.
edwardisperfection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardisperfection »

As I read Edward leaving Bella, telling her he didn't want her anymore... I had tears streaming down my face. I was so angry and I actually felt empty and my friends who were there just watching me read (I'd just gotten the book and couldn't wait to get home) were just like "WHAT THE HELL" but I couldn't actually answer them. I felt like a part of me had gone, it was so weird. I had to remind myself it was a book, but it didn't really work. I felt depressed. And then I read the months passing part and I just felt absolutely terrible for Bella and what she must have been going through.
TeamEdward
Bringing sexyback since 1901.
"So the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a lucky lamb."
xxsparklyvampiresxx
Wandering Through Town

Post by xxsparklyvampiresxx »

It took me completely by surprise. I was expecting some kind of evil vampire drama, like maybe someone else was going after Bella, and she was in grave danger or something. I was stabbed in the heart when I read Edward's speech. I thought he really didn't love her, that he would really let her go so fast. The reason it hurt me so much was because Edward promised to love Bella forever, to never leave her.

I didn't think their relationship was dying. Before the speech, I thought Edward was just really worried about something.

I really did believe Edward no longer loved Bella. But I knew some day, they would reunite.

I didn't really care about him, to be honest. I was sobbing at the time.

I was surprised Bella had been able to live for so long without Edward. I thought she would've killed herself by then or something.
I RUN WITH VAMPIRES! ^_^
Team Edward, Now and Forever!
SparkleyVampire01
Settled in Forks

Post by SparkleyVampire01 »

I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach as i realized how shallow he was being and how he wasn't showing his affection and love for Bella.How he would act like nothing.As if he was dazed and living in another time.Like trying to distance himself.I had a bad feeling but i knew it was just me acting up and that i need to calm myself,Because i was trying to convince myself that Edward and Bella had to be together and they could never be about.Their lives were hooked by one line.Cut one and you cut both.So as i kept reading i tried to convince myself that it was just the way she wrote it and that edward was mad and frustrated because of jasper and her disatrous 18 b-day party.But as he led her into the woods i felt my chest rip open and i screamed "NOOO!!!!!" and threw the book to the ground and stomped out of the room.My mom was letting me read New Moon first because she wasn't yet done with Twilight.And with tears streaming down my cheeks i told my mom i was never ever gonna read another on of her books.My mom asked me why and i told her that Edward left. And my mom too,began to cry.My mom finally convinces me after about 10 min. to go back and finish reading.As i continued through there conversation.I couldn't believe that he made her promise not to be reckless ! I was appaled. How could Bella not be reckless ? Thats her personality,and her very best trait that makes her seems more alive than she is.I began to cry again as i realized that he didn't love her and that he was probably going to go with some vampire.I began to HATE edward cullen.I could't believe how selfish and unfair he was being.As i continued to read i found out about jacob and saw what was coming. Romeo wouldn't be able to come back because he found somone else. andjuliet would have to settle for paris. I began to cry as bella realized it her self. i was on the edge of hysteria. finally the next day alice came back. jumped for joy and told my mom abotu alice. as i aimed to finish the book i finally got to edwards part. when i read the part where bella rescued edward. i couldnt believe that bella actuallt let him touch her. i would have been so mad and upset that i would have avoided him untill talking to him was absolutly nessisary. but then that was only because i was still royally angry at edward. but when he confessed his love for her and explained why. i finally understood. and not even an ounce of hate for edward was left in me. i understood.

Yes. Its very hard for me to explain it. Because i realized this reading new moon.

When edward told bella he didnt want her i litterally screamed for him to stop and take those ugly words back. i couldnt believe him! I was about to literally call stephanie meyer up and demand why she did this. I cryed for hours wondering how edward could even stand doing this. i honestly thought that for the pain he was putting bella through,i thought she should have just let victoria catch her. but then again what kind of story is that?

it really didnt matter to me. i was just crying so hard and was focused so hard on pulling my self together for bella's sake.

it made me cry even harder. it was hard to even imagine the pain.
she was better off dead,
then edward being away.