Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Allison
Wandering Through Town

Re: New Moon Movie ~ Take 2

Post by Allison »

I'm kind of already missing that feeling I had about Twilight coming out...for some reason, I don't feel the same about New Moon. Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about it, and I think that regardless of who is cast as Jacob (I like Taylor), who is directing (I miss Catherine), and what movies open the same weekend (are people really concerned about Sherlock Holmes and the 3 Stooges? I thought not), and how much Rob is in it (not more than the book I sincerely hope), New Moon is going to be a great movie.

But whereas with Twilight that anticipatory feeling was so...pure, I guess, for lack of a better word....New Moon is so overshadowed with doubts and fears and craziness. Maybe Twilight was the same for people who weren't happy with the casting; I was thrilled as Kristen is one of my favorite actors, and Rob is adorarable, so I can't say.

It almost seems to me like we, the fanbase, have created a monster. We are so unbending in what we want, we demand certain things from the director and writer, and out of fear of a failed film, they give it to us. While I'm proud of our ability to make our opinions known, I also feel....curious....about what would have happened had we not been so vehement in our protests and praises. What things would have been different, and what would/could have been better, or worse?

I guess I'm just used to Twilight being my favorite fairy tale, and in fairy tales it's "happily ever after". Perhaps, once all the details are settled and filming gets underway, things will settle back into the happy/excited way they were for Twilight as well.

Here's hoping!!!!!
ImageImageImageNM p.201
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

So... how old is Aro supposed to be anyway? I'm totally gonna go and look when I get home! I love me some Ben Barnes, but I just feel like he's too young. Aro has to be as old as Carlisle, at least, right?
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

This seems like a constant debate :roll: and I'm not sure exactly, but I definitely feel like Ben Barnes is too young to play him. I feel like they should find someone more 30s-40s range, but that's just my opinion. I know Caius is the only one with white hair, but I guess I pictured the three of them as peers- not an old guy and two young guys.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I think we will see how old the Volturi actually are when they cast since it seems like they are listening to SM and since it is her vision they'll try to stick to the age range...how old are Jane and Alec...I know they're young but in my mind they are Bella's age or just a little younger...
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Allison wrote:It almost seems to me like we, the fanbase, have created a monster. We are so unbending in what we want, we demand certain things from the director and writer, and out of fear of a failed film, they give it to us. While I'm proud of our ability to make our opinions known, I also feel....curious....about what would have happened had we not been so vehement in our protests and praises. What things would have been different, and what would/could have been better, or worse?
I'm going to try and trust Chris and Stephenie. Chris is an oscar nominated director and I don't think he'll risk making a flop to keep some of a fan base happy. I'm sure he knows that if he makes a great film, that stays true to the novel, then people will watch the film even if they disagree with parts of it. I've read that there were outcries when Rob was cast and I guess that has turned out all right ;)
So let's see, how many days do we have to go until we know? about 338? so probably about 250 before we start seeing trailers?

JenJen, I imagined Aro Caius and Marcus sort of like a father figure to Carlisle so I thought of them early to mid 40's. It would make sense that one of them may have had grey hair by then and the other two may not. Jane and Alec I see very young actually. They describe her as skipping don't they? Maybe 13-16?

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Allison wrote:I'm kind of already missing that feeling I had about Twilight coming out...for some reason, I don't feel the same about New Moon. Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about it, and I think that regardless of who is cast as Jacob (I like Taylor), who is directing (I miss Catherine), and what movies open the same weekend (are people really concerned about Sherlock Holmes and the 3 Stooges? I thought not), and how much Rob is in it (not more than the book I sincerely hope), New Moon is going to be a great movie.

But whereas with Twilight that anticipatory feeling was so...pure, I guess, for lack of a better word....New Moon is so overshadowed with doubts and fears and craziness. Maybe Twilight was the same for people who weren't happy with the casting; I was thrilled as Kristen is one of my favorite actors, and Rob is adorarable, so I can't say.

It almost seems to me like we, the fanbase, have created a monster. We are so unbending in what we want, we demand certain things from the director and writer, and out of fear of a failed film, they give it to us. While I'm proud of our ability to make our opinions known, I also feel....curious....about what would have happened had we not been so vehement in our protests and praises. What things would have been different, and what would/could have been better, or worse?

I guess I'm just used to Twilight being my favorite fairy tale, and in fairy tales it's "happily ever after". Perhaps, once all the details are settled and filming gets underway, things will settle back into the happy/excited way they were for Twilight as well.

Here's hoping!!!!!
I only hope that as Chris states, that he will actually do as he says he will do and abide by the book. Stephenie seems to have a lot of hope and belief in this guy. So, we'll see what happens. I'm not going to worry about it anymore until the movie comes out. I've worn myself out with the previous debacle known as Twilight the Movie, and sense that movie is already out and obviously doing quite well, then that door is closed for me. Which is fine; it needs to be.

If he does great by the book and gives us a great movie, then fantastic!! If not, well then he'll hear about it from the fans - simple. Until then, I have the books which will never fail me in their magic and fun. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
shavei7
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by shavei7 »

soozabooza54 wrote:I went to high school with WIlliam Beckett. Haha. Cool kid, good times in gym class with him. :)
Kissing stuff... how cute is Rob? Ha.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/12/15/tw ... out-scene/
hahah I saw this video yesterday. Sooo cute how Rob was like 'waiting for [Kristen] to come in'. It couldn't have turned out more perfectly :) Did anybody else see the extra kiss scene at the end of the movie (where the credits are rolling) and Kristen grabbed Rob's shirt? That was sooo sexy :lol:

back on topic:
I still don't fully trust Chris (The Golden Compass is still a bad reminder of how far and how badly you can butcher a good book) but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt now ---- in short, I'm setting aside my pitchfork and torch (for now).

Like you guys, I hope (100x) Chris will follow through with his words when he said that they will stay true to the book (even more than Twilight). I guess we'll just wait and see if they f*ck this up or not.

As for the whole Taylor thing.... I'm Switzerland :) I think Taylor's good as a young Jacob.. if they cast him again for NM, then great. If they change Jacob, then I hope they find somebody who can play Jacob as good as Taylor.

As for Ben playing Aro... no freakin way. Too young. Aro's supposed to be really old with white (papery/onion) skin and cloudy eyes (I don't have my book with me right now)...Chris would be stupid to cast Ben as Aro. ugh.
Thnx for the awesome banner NIKKI/stellar87!
Team ROBWARD. But I get dibs on Taylor's abs!
slut.. skank.. slut.. skank.. turtle..
t_feva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by t_feva »

Nooo! I am so angry they want to replace Taylor! :evil:
and they might replace him with actors that arent even Native American! (example: Michael Copon)
i swear this movie is gonna suck. hopefully sm can step in before they cast someone who's not good for the role of jacob black.
teamtaycob.webs.com
twitter.com/tfeva1
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

shavei7 wrote:
back on topic:
I still don't fully trust Chris (The Golden Compass is still a bad reminder of how far and how badly you can butcher a good book) but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt now ---- in short, I'm setting aside my pitchfork and torch (for now).

Like you guys, I hope (100x) Chris will follow through with his words when he said that they will stay true to the book (even more than Twilight). I guess we'll just wait and see if they f*ck this up or not.
Joining camp with me than on waiting to see what happens eh? I can't wait to see how this one plays out because this one is my least favourite book in the series, and if Chris ruins it....

As for the whole Taylor thing.... I'm Switzerland :) I think Taylor's good as a young Jacob.. if they cast him again for NM, then great. If they change Jacob, then I hope they find somebody who can play Jacob as good as Taylor.
Agreed with the whole Switzerland thing. I really don't care either way, I just hope they do the change right.

As for Ben playing Aro... no freakin way. Too young. Aro's supposed to be really old with white (papery/onion) skin and cloudy eyes (I don't have my book with me right now)...Chris would be stupid to cast Ben as Aro. ugh.
Aro is old and has the onion/papery white skin, but his hair is described as black (don't have my book with me, but that's what it says here) so he could work. It's all about the makeup they use to get the effect needed.
mom26ks
Wandering Through Town

Post by mom26ks »

I asked this before...but so much has been going on. What about Dakota Fanning as Jane?? She's 14 or 15 and an excellent actress.

I am also glad that Twilight exicon is up and running. I miised it! :(
s69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/len...