Gex X--the 30 something thread

Sarah-Lynn

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Before Atari, my brothers and I had a make-shift fort in the back yard. My younger brother and I would make tents in the living room. Our curfew during the summer as kids was "dark thirty!" We didn't have to worry about not eating too much junk food or sweets because we were always outside burning off those calories! My mom had a vegetable garden, and I used to help pull the weeds. I learned how to do laundry when I was like 10 or 11. I cooked a lot when I was a teen. My mom taught me how to go grocery shopping, how to cut meats and vegetables, how to make an attractive dinner setting, how to clean house, how to properly iron shirts and pants... all before I was in High school.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Sara-Lynn we need to compare notes. I was the youngest in my family and my mother hates housework but wanted a spic-n-span house. When I was old enough that I could reach the controls on the washer and dryer (by standing on a box - I was 7) the household laundry (towels, sheets, etc), my laundry and my parents laundry become part of my chores! My brothers were on their own. I also knew how to clean, cook and entertain (throw a party) before I was in high school as well. We had a fabulous garden with chickens (fresh eggs), it was wonderful! My dad made homemade root beer and sarsaparilla.

Amazing how things change! Do you remember when slips were not just a nightgown but something worn under dresses and skirt during the day?? I can't begin to tell you how many girls I know who have no idea that sometimes you DO need to wear something under a skirt so your underwear won't show...especially on sunny days!! :shock:

Talk about car seats, when I was born (1976) and brought home from the hospital. My parents let my brothers in the back seat of our avocado green jeep wagoneer hold me (while fighting over who got to hold me) on the drive home. No car seat, I don't recall ever having one.

Talk about feeling old, I remember when the VCR first came out (or was it Beta)! :lol:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

I am a 70's child my wife is a 70's child although we never really fit into Gen X as she is 30 and I am only 33. I never have liked labels anyways nice to find another place to hang out and be free.

Two side notes here is some movies that are coming out 09-10.

A-Team - no joke look it up in IMDB
Magnum PI - I kind of want to see this one.

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Bac, your comment about not having computers to do homework and research reminds me of my history teacher during my senior year of high school. He had all of his students write a 90-page report on the Civil War. It had to be hand-written, even though at that point, most people had Windows 3.11 (ha ha!). That was the worst homework assignment EVER! I hated that teacher.

I remember having a "dark thirty" curfew! Those were the days! Now the kids in my neighborhood don't even know what night games are! And even if they did, like I'd ever let my young kids stay out after dark; it's not safe anymore. It's so sad!

Also, speaking of the Atari, I remember when my family had one! I also remember when we first got a Nintendo. It was so exciting to have one!

I'm also the youngest in my family. I'm the youngest of seven children. However, my mom never made me do any of the stuff you (Una and Sarah-Lynn) talked about, other than doing my own laundry when I turned 14. I an also 8.5 years younger than my closest sibling and 23 years younger than my oldest sibling. So, my parents were kind of "tired" when I came along, so I was spoiled. I wasn't spoiled in the sense of getting everything I wanted like a lot of kids are now today, but I was spoiled in the sense that the "wooden spoon" or "belt" were ever used to discipline me, or that I didn't have quite as many chores as my older siblings.

Misfit, I'm also only 30 and my husband is almost 33. So, I understand how you feel. ;) Also, I'm so EXCITED for the A-Team movie!!! That's going to be awesome!!! :D
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

jenni_elyse wrote: Misfit, I'm also only 30 and my husband is almost 33. So, I understand how you feel. ;) Also, I'm so EXCITED for the A-Team movie!!! That's going to be awesome!!! :D
You are insane right? I mean the A-Team was all about laying bullets down like a water hose without killing anyone. What are they going to do I mean it won't work this is just going to be garbage. Although who knows I guess we will have to wait and see may you are right Jenni maybe it won't suck, but the odds are against you on this.

Has anyone else noticed that a bunch of movies recently just failed to deliver I mean even more epic failure than normal?

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Okay, so it will probably suck, but I was just thinking about how much I loved the A-Team when I was younger. I used to watch it all the time. The only problem is that the same characters won't be there, so it won't be the same. Thanks for "killing my buzz" Misfit! ;) :roll: :lol:

And, yes, I have noticed that. For example, Hancock and Jumper. They both could've been great movies, but they just didn't put enough into the back story. They were both quite disappointing.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

I remember when I and all my friends begged for a later curfew - 8:30. Summertime "night games" of Kick the Can, Murder in the Dark, Ghosts in the Graveyard, No Bears are out Tonight, and Colored Eggs. It was a special occasion when the kids in the neighborhood ALL got to stay up late to play night games.

And not only didn't we use car seats, but they didn't even exist. I remember my mom laying my little sister on the seat next to her in the station wagon. The rest of us didn't ever buckle up, and it wasn't against the law.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

For those of you that had station wagons, do you remember sitting in the back 2 seats and waving at the cars behind you. No seat belts no nothing, just a little fold up seat thing. If mom had been rearended we would have been toast. But boy was it fun to sit in the back and look out the big window. (And yes, ours had wood paneling).
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

Oh Bac I remember the station wagon seats I was in one from like baby to 13. I use to have to ride in the back with dog. lol

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

OMG!! I just literally blew Dr. Pepper out my nose!! Gee, thanks!!
My family had a brown station wagon. My 2 older brothers always sat in the middle, and my younger brother and I sat in the back!! Our transmission fell out one summer in Arkansas on the way to visit my mom's family in Chicago. It's such a joke at family times when we reminisce, because the car made this awful "EEEEEE" sound!! I'm laughing just thinking about it! I remember holding up a box of Nerds to the window when cars would pass by- it's like we were calling them "nerds" or something... I dunno, my oldest brother made me do it! :D