A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
EddieC
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by EddieC »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

Mmm, it took me by surprised, I bought this book to read about vampires! :D

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Couldn't say I have, really sorry, I was reading too fast to think about much

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I believed that Edward had the right idea, the whole "dissapearing without a trace" theme has happened before, but not one that I've read in mainstream literature, mostly fanfictions, it's a very very effective use, and SM pulled that off quite nicely

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I payed little to no attention to him *ish honest*

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

OMG!

I looked...

and looked

and stared at the page,

Then I was like "Oh, okay, we're on to october now" then I flipped the page.

NOVEMBER

I looked, flipped back to October.

Then I went insane! This was my FAVORITE part in New Moon, by miles to come, it was just so groundbreaking to me, I stared and I stared, texted one of my friend at 2 at night, saying "OMGOMGOMG! THATS SOOO EPIC!" (With the annoying caps and all)

This alone proves that SM is no ordinary writer, her layout and artistic thoughts put into these books are something to be reckon with.

That alone just tells us in simple words how Bella felt about that time... amazingly empty, she felt nothing but the words of time pass her by, nothing by placeholders to the quantity that she can no longer feel and judge
All about Flash Mobs
... bit of a Geek
... Ultimate happy
... and a hopeless romantic
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
a. Yup. b. Actually I already got the feeling when he kissed Bella differently in the previous chapter...and then his sudden coldness just confirms it all. c. Not really.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I've never been in romantic relationship, but I've tried holding on to a failing friendship.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I believe he was lying, but I also know he's not going to turn back. He loves her too much he's ready to sacrifice everything, even their relationship, for her safety.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. Honestly...didn't think of him much at the moment. Still too shocked by the separation.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages I can almost feel the emptiness in Bella's heart as she tries to survive month after month.
wildroses
Fishing with Charlie

Post by wildroses »

yes i definitely felt a sense of foreboding. actually, at the beginning of the book i sensed something was wrong, something was different about the relationship. about how edward was acting.

no, i've never had a relationship like bella and edwards before or really one at all that could hold a pin to it.
so no, i never have.

i was so confused. i believed him, i think i did. but i know i didn't want to believe him. i think reading that i was in such utter shock that i was just reading and wasn't reacting as readily as i would have normally to what edward was saying.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
when she first describes the sniffing around her like an animal and then sam came, i knew it was sam making that noise. i definitely didn't think he was just some normal human but i didn't know it was a werewolf either.
just different.

ugh that was terrible. i could almost feel her pain, and i'm pretty sure thats when i started crying.
really though, i couldn't grasp the fact that so many months had gone by it was just too much.
it seemed like it was still the other day that edward had left her.
randomness bum<3
twilighter_alice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilighter_alice »

1. Did you feel forboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming?
As Bella described Edward's attitude that night of her fateful birthday, I could feel something in the air. Like a gathering hurricane, deadly and coming with no hesitence.

2.Just as Bella, have you ever felt that subconcious need to hold onto a slipping relatioship?
Yes, unfortunatly. It didn't work out.

3. Edward's speech was a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella?
Actually, I was frozen when his face was described, hard and cold, devoid of emotion. I cried when I read it happening. Seriously. In my head I just kept screaming, "NO! NO, EDWARD! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO HER AND TO ME!! NO!NO NONONONONO!!"
I wanted him to turn back to her and apoligize for being so rash. But, he didn't.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your reaction to his presence.
When Sam found Bella, I just remember feeling so releived and a little comforted by his presence. Sam was their to save Bella in a way. The way he asked if she'd been hurt instead of if she was HURT was just remarkable.
It felt very comforting.

5. Decsribe your reaction as you red the "months" pages.
I felt... like nothing had a point anymore, Edward had left, nothing mattered. It was like I was dead inside.
I_Punched_A_Werewolf
Settled in Forks

Post by I_Punched_A_Werewolf »

Ever since Jasper tried to attack her and Edward hardly spoke on the way home, I KNEW something was up with him. For me, it was too soon and I kept feeling like they'd recover from it all. Even when Edward didn't go to see her one night, I thought that they had to snap back. When he took her into the forest, it was like I knew what he was going to do but he just couldn't. But he did. All the way through, in my head, I was responding in the same way as Bella. I didn't believe that he had the strength to leave and even as he was telling her goodbye, I didn't think for one moment that he wouldn't run back in seconds.

Yes, but this is one I'd rather not talk about. :(

I was expecting him to snap out of it and say "I can't do this" or stop it somehow. I thought that his almost goodbye kiss was going to turn into something and when it didn't, even when he'd gone, I still thought that he'd run back. I didn't want Bella to move from her spot in case he came back to find her, moments later.

For me, that was the moment that I knew Edward wasn't coming back. As she was lying there, it could have been Edward coming to find her, to tell her that he wasn't going to leave. A false alarm. But as someone else found her, I realised that he wouldn't return. It didn't matter that it was Sam. It could have been anyone. Just the fact that it was anyone but Edward brought home to me that Edward was gone :( :( :( (then the tears started)

I was blank, just like the pages. It felt like months were slipping by me, what could I read that would stop the emptiness now? Unless Edward came back that night (which was unlikely) then I didn't know, one, what Bella would possibly be able to say or do and two, what I would be able to think of. For the rest of the book, I was waiting on edge for the mention of Edward's name. I needed it to be part of the book! And until Bella finally thought of him, heard his voice, I had a nagging inside, just turn the pages, read until Edward comes back. Because he has to! I was imagining how Bella must be dying, at every mention of him, when she thought of anything related to him or his world. The months pages symbolise her emptiness and there was nothing written becase she had nothing to write. Her world without Edward was nothing, no events worth mentioning. Days went by, slowly, uneventfully and unnoticed. She was only living as far as science determined. Breathing, yes. Actually living an enjoyable life, thinking thoughts and comminicating, no. Bella was in a hibernation until Jacob woke her up and when you're sleeping or hibernating, time goes by outside you. You exist outside reality. The world passed Bella by for months and failed to encapture her, enagage her or effect her in any way. And reading those months, flashing up, as if time was speeding ahead, I knew what was going through Bella's head. Nothing. Nothing she had to write anyway. Either months or the pages could have been filled with Edward's name, over and over again. Edward and time were the only things that she was aware of and the latter only slightly.
dulce92
Settled in Forks

Post by dulce92 »

the foreshadowing in New Moon was well written, I was almost certain the whole time that something tragic was going to happen. Like bella I tried to hold on to Edward. And to be frank i cried through chapter 3, 4 and 5.
BellaNicole
Wandering Through Town

Post by BellaNicole »

After Jasper attack Bella, I could feel the end coming. Edward is the self-sacrificing kind and likes to put the blame on himself. Edward was still feeling the guilt of not being able to protect Bella from James and he was an evil vampire, but now his own brother was gonna attack her, I think he just snapped.

Very much. From the very first book in the series, I saw my exact self in Bella. Completely taken by someone, knowing that you shouldn't be with them, but unable to walk away cuz the thought of not being with them is worse than death. You would do anything to hold onto the one you love.

I knew he was leaving. When he turned it around on her and said " You're no good for me, Bella" I knew he was leaving, how could she argue that fact with him? and he knew that. I didn't believe him at all, I knew he was still madly in love with her, i was a little surprised that Bella believed him so easily, but then again, she never felt she was "worthy" of Edward, so at the same time, I wasn't surprised.

At this point I was holding my breath. I was channeling my own pain when the man I loved walked out my life and left me standing at a corner. I was just soo glad that someone found her.

I could feel every ounce of agony and despair as the months went by. Time never seems to end when your heart had been shattered. I felt the nothingness, grief and overwhelming loss. Just thinking about it now is actually painful
Alice's Party Planning Committe: Bag Carrier
i am mythical
Settled in Forks

Post by i am mythical »

I felt it the very next day when Bella has to ask Edward is he will be coming over. That conversation should not even happen if there was not problem.

No, my subconscious is more pessimistic than even my conscious mind. My subconscious would had let go even before my own self did.

If I were Bella I would believe it, I have the same self esteem problem as she did. I would not believe that someone like Edward would be meant for me forever. I did not expect him to be back if ever I did it won't be at that moment. I would believe him.

I was too numb about what happen to have any reaction during that time.

Goosebumps all over even thinking about those words on that page still gives me goosebumps.
You may be brave enough or strong enough to live without me, if that's what's best. But I could never be that self-sacrificing. I have to be with you. It's the only way I can live - Bella

http://constantdevotionrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi
lynlee3721
Settled in Forks

Post by lynlee3721 »

I knew Edward was up to something when he did not want to stay the night the previous night and he seemed to be almost trying to distance himself. I could tell it hurt him when he realized that he could never really protect Bella from his world when he was present. I was surprised, I thought maybe one day that he might leave...but surely he would take her with him. But he couldn't.

Not in the way that Bella felt. She was not just losing some meaningingless highschool relationship or even friendship. No, she was losing her true love. I am deeply in love now...and I don't know how I would react if he suddenly left with no warning or real explanation. I don't think I could accept it like she did...no that's not the right word, I think she felt powerless and could not bring herself to fight at that time.

I thought it was the only way that she would let him go. He had to break her heart, he had to so that she could try to move on...though I think that he misread her commitment to his heart when he did this. He assumed she was just move on with time...but I don't think she would have ever been the same post-Edward.

I really did not think about it. I was consumed by the fact he left her.

I was suprised, I did not think that Edward would be able stay away. I liked how Stephanie Meyer showed the passage of time though. I also thought that he would return right after those pages...not exactly.
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

Questions prepared by Cocoa

Unfortunately for me, I have an uncanny ability to be able to predict where these things are going to end up...i think it comes from years of trying to pre-empt JK during my times spent dwelling on the HP series... However, as soon as I read the title of the chapter I knew what was coming. Edward had hinted so many times that because he loved her, he would leave if he had to. However, it wasn't something that leapt out of the book...I started thinking "oh god, he's going to leave" and then when i saw The End, I knew what was about to happen. Despite my knowing it was going to happen, I cried more at the precise moment he left than I have done in years, it was much worse than anything I got from the HP series...anyone who has read the Cate Tiernan Wicca (Sweep in the US) series would know what I mean when I explain that it felt worse than when Hunter died!

I struggled completely to let go of Edward, I deluded myself to believe that he was out there watching her... it was only when reading Steph Meyer's site that I realised that he really had no idea what she was doing after he left... I am currently re-reading New Moon though as I'm sure upon reflection without the anger I will realise that had Edward even seen a hint of danger threatening from Victoria, he would have returned immediately...Also, I found through the Edward-less part of the book I started to hate Jacob vehemently... I realise now that this was due to my belief that Edward was being written out of the story...thank heavens i was wrong!

It didn't seem real, it came over me in a wave & I expected any moment for him to turn around and realise his mistake...the further she walked the more realisation swept in and my tears began to stream! I knew all along that Edward hadn't stopped loving her, he just needed her to believe that.

I had very little reaction to his presence, mainly due to the loud sobs I was trying to keep under control whilst I read on in the hope of Edward's return... I felt a bit odd about him and thought maybe he would be the new villain but alas I was wrong.

As someone who has read the entire series on E-book, my initial reaction was to panic, I thought the book hadn't come out right and that I would have to pay out & buy the hard copy after all....When realisation set in that this was to illustrate time passing, I was relieved, however, I understood Bella's pain... I have been a zombie myself & didn't have a Jacob to get me out of it so I was happy she did...
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon