Gex X--the 30 something thread

oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by oleander »

I always knew we were kindreds Twimom! My long list would have looked very similar to yours...it's freaky just how similar they are.

From this day forth you shall be my Kindred and I shall be your Leelan! ;) Spooky, Twinnie of mine, hope you aren't feeling crowded...i've got more than enough love to go around. :lol:

I have a question for you. If someone gives you a phone number to call for a service of some sort and when you call the number the person on the other end of the line informs you politely that no, they aren't the right people to call, do you insist that the person on the other end of the line is wrong? I just had a call like that. Dude argued with me for five minutes that my number was in fact the right number for what he wanted. No matter how many times i assured him that no, I couldn't help him, he called me a liar.

It's mostly baby boomers who do this, though. I wonder if it's a generational thing?
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Hubby had a great nomination to THE movie of the 90's: Swingers.

Okay now for the new question: The top 5 CDs of the 90's are...
1. Stone Temple Pilots Core
2. Nirvana Nevermind
3. Alanis Morrissette Jagged Little Pill
4. Goo Goo Dolls Iris
5. Foo Fighters

Hubby's picks are:
1. Metalica Black Album
2. D.J. Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Summertime
3. Soundgarten (the one with Black Hole Sun)
4. Stone Temple Pilots Core
5. U2 Actung Baby

I did not influence Hubby's choices - his picks were without the aid of the previously mentioned. Mine, however, are post all previous suggestions. :D
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Great music!!!

I'd forgotten all about Hootie & the Blowfish, U2's Achtung Baby, Foo Fighters, and Goo Goo Dolls and they were/are some of my favorites.

I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten Metallica because I saw that very album in concert. January 1992. But, you know, it was a good album, but it was the very last of the good albums. Their best work was before the Black album. Metallica's Ride the Lightning is my favorite CD of theirs. However, my fave Metallica song is "One."

Also can't forget Guns and Roses. They appeared in late 87/early 88 but their music really shaped the 90's. Use Your Illusion I and II were pivotal albums in the 90's.

Where's VampMan? We can't discuss tuneage without him!!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
CherryKnots
Settled in Forks

Post by CherryKnots »

i am an honorary gen-X, right GNE? *giggle* I have not gone back more than a couple pages in this thread, so I may be in need of a thorough flogging...

Tunes of the 90s... *sigh* alas, i lost out on a lot of the 90s with young kids. I am sure that you guys have already spoken about the influence the 80s had on the 90s, and are working towards the 90s influence on the tunes of today. Maybe. i could be wrong :D UNA - Loved your lists!

For those that do not know me (i am getting seriously annoyed that i cannot use an apostrophe without opening the find feature on this computer...), I am CherryKnots, a DGG and the VampBard. I have 3 kids, a Masters degree in special education, as well as Bachelors degrees in music and English. I am back on the LEX until life gets too hectic again, then I will resign myself to those in-real-life pursuits that require my attention. I was previously known on the Gutter as TchrLuvsEdward2, and was reincarnated with this present pseudonym. I write a lot, read a lot, and love to discuss a lot. Blah, Blah, Blah... sounds like a profile for a dating service, huh?
CherryKnots is the VampBard!
It is possible to be utterly, and completely dazzled. Having your breath taken away each and every time you're enveloped in his arms-bliss.

Banner by the wonderful and talented VampCandy, Nena!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Of course, CherryKnots, you are welcome here. Not just because you are friends with most of us by now (duh), but also because you are technically a Gen X'er. We've ignored the 30 something requirement on the other end, we can ignore it on yours as well.

We are discussing what we believe, in our own opinions, to be the 5 best CD's of the 90's.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

It's another SuperTwin moment - I agree - the Black album of Metallica was the last good album - but I prefer their earlier work. "One" is my FAVORITE song of theirs!!! Sometimes GNE this is SO creepy but in the Oh SO good way! :lol:

CherryKnots you are welcome here! Glad you liked the list, hubby has been enjoying my downloading of this thread to him. Since he is a fellow Gen Xer, he enjoys our discussions.

Yes, where is our Vampman? We need his musical input!

And I can't believe we forgot Guns 'N Roses, I loved "November Rain." Also, what about Smashing Pumpkins?
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

GNE: I ALMOST put down G-N-R - Use Your Illusions 1 & 2... But I chickened out! I saw them in concert for that CD release. (And I had a GNR temporary tatoo for it!) It was AWESOME!! I also own Lies and Appitite for Destruction... and I even owned Speghetti Incident? (but later sold it). Yes, I was into GNR!

And Una: I did list Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness But I have to say that I think Siamese Dream is my favorite Pumpkin's CD. I saw them in concert 3 times!!

I agree that we need Vampman in on this discussion... No changing topics yet... Find him!

GNE - Love the banner/sig!

Oleander: I will be your Kindred, as long as Spooky is okay! Of course she and I share similar problems with cats and ribbons!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

GNE, this is such a tough question!

Here's my list, but like Twiligtmom, I can't choose and went over the limit:
  • 1. Radiohead= The Bends or OK Computer
    2. Nirvana = Nevermind
    3. Smashing Pumpkins= Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness (not my personal fav; my fav album by them is Adore)
    4. Pearl Jam = Ten
    5. Garbage = Garbage
    6. Alanis Morrissette (sp?)= Jagged Little Pill
    7. Sarah McLachlan = Surfacing
    8. U2 = Achtung Baby (not my personal fav either, I'm torn between War and Joshua Tree)
    9. Sublime
    10. No Doubt = Animal Kingdom
    11. Everclear = So much the Afterglow
    12. Baz Lurhman's R&J soundtrack
    13. Beck = Odelay
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
una

Post by una »

I'm sorry TwiMom I forgot you mentioned Smashing Pumpkins!

I loved Garbage. Their CD was the one I listened to incessantly in design labs in college. I would listen to it on continuous play for HOURS. I think I once listened to it for at least eight straight hours working on a project. Ah...the sweet bliss of memories!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I owned 7 of Rum's 13 CD's. Garbage!!! I can't believe I forgot them too. Stupid Girl! Hehehehe

"Milk" was one of my faves, along with "Stupid Girl," "I'm Only Happy When it Rains," and I can't remember the other song.

Let's keep the question open for Vampman!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!