Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by nissanmama »

QOTD, I've been to a lot of concerts. Sammy Hagar (Can't drive 55 tour) sticks out in my mind. That was pre-Van Halen days. The concert was done in the round, he had a car on stage, blew stuff up, smashed guitars...very rock-n-roll. The Howard Jones concert was really colorful and theatrical. The most musical was a toss up between James Gallway (I play the flute) in his green leprechan vest with the Oakland Symphony and Harry Conick jr. What an amazing concert THAT was! The guy has surrounded himself with an amazing group of musicians. One of the funnest concerts was seeing my little brother sing with Vocal Point at BYU.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Leelan I hope you are feeling better. My head is better but now aching. It got much worse last night before it started getting better this morning. Hopefully it'll be gone tonight, I have choir rehearsal and I'd rather not miss it.

Chatting on FB has been a blast! It's like the new shiny toy at Christmas!

Glad you are back home, safe and sound Dimber!

It's not a concert, but the best musical/show I've ever been to is a tie between Phantom of the Opera in San Francisco for my 18th birthday (my parents took me - it was fantastic) and seeing Chicago at the local musical house. Here's a new QOTD: If you like going to "shows", what is your favorite show (opera, musical and/or play)?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Hello Everyone!!

Una - good one. I love musicals, plays, etc. I wish I could go see more.

QOTD: If you like going to "shows", what is your favorite show (opera, musical and/or play)?
I saw Cats on Broadway for a college graduation present and that was great. I also saw it here locally while still very good, it didn't compare to Broadway. I also saw the Lion King on Broadway and that was excellent. I would love to see a ballet though maybe that's something to add to list of things to do in my lifetime.

Hope Everyone is safe out in all this crazy weather that's happening.

P.S. I have an ad blocker on my computer so when they started I didn't know what everyone was talking about. When I look at how many ads that get blocked sometimes, it amazes me. I don't see how you guys can stand it. It would drive me completely bonkers.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Oleander and Una, hope the headaches are subsiding today.

Those in the snow and ice and slush, stay warm and safe. I too like to watch snow from inside my house, nice and cozy and warm. Don't make me drive in it. (I think we were talking about snow on the gutter, oh well).

Concert: Best/most fun/etc. was the Beach Boys with my brother. Brother is a mega beach boys fan and it was a fun show.

Shows: I like musicals. I love music, dancing, etc. As a kid my parents took us to musicals more than plays and I think that started it (besides the fact that I just like them :mrgreen: ). The first one I remember is seeing Annie in 1980 in London (we were living in Brussels at the time). I was hooked. I have loved Cats, Les Miserables, Starlight Express, Beauty and the Beast and more. Cats has always been one of my favorites because I am a dancer and there is sooooo much dancing in it. I also went to many ballets. So I would most likely choose to see a ballet over anything else, however the chances of me getting anyone to see it with me would be slim, so a musical would do well to fit both my loves of music and dancing.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

una wrote:It's not a concert, but the best musical/show I've ever been to is a tie between Phantom of the Opera in San Francisco for my 18th birthday (my parents took me - it was fantastic)
Oh! I wonder if we saw it at the same time!! I went with T-pa and my brothers and their wives when we were young marrieds. I think FS was four or five and MG was a toddler so this would have been maybe thirteen years ago?

Suessical was a lot of fun, and I've been to a lot of "off broadyway" productions over the years, but one of the best shows I've ever been to was Triple Espresso with sitt. This is a VERY funny show and we had great seats, like third row. Sitt got laughing so hard they actually stopped the show until she could catch her breath. I kid you not. Ask her yourself.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

QOTD: A high note for me was when I got to see Cats on Broadway. It was amazing! I also have had the chance to see Bye Bye Birdie and Phantom of the Opera locally. I wish that we had more free time to see more shows!

Una, glad you are feeling better today!
Oleander, hang in there! I have a sinus headache, too...they stink :? Feel better!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Sadly, I've never been to a big show. Remember I live in the sticks. How sad am I?

One day when finances are better, perhaps hubby & I can travel. His latest motivational trick is to point out that if we had more money I could visit my friends around the continent. He's really mean. :twisted:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Oh dear SuperTwin that sounds like something my hubby would say. For example, when he catches me crying over a movie (or especially a book) he'll remind me that "every time a little girl cries, a puppy dies." :shock: Is that heartless or what? :x Course it does make me laugh because he is so patronizing/silly about it. That and reminding me that Pooh and Tiger died because Christopher Robin doesn't believe in them anymore. :evil: I try to tell him that I believe in Tiger - but he says it's not enough. :cry: Course I have to remind him he's lucky I love him.

Okay, back to the topic at hand...

I will say that there are some low budget plays here in town. I think a ticket maybe less than $10. I've been to a few and they are really enjoyable. Plus there are high school productions here, one school's in particular that will make your head spin they are so good! Do you have any of those close by, GNE?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I've seen a few local productions. Nothing outstanding. I saw Grease and enjoyed it.

SuperTwin: You know we cannot allow our hubbies to meet. The merging of their meanness and cruelty will cause a riff in time and space.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Wow, okay, the only shows I've ever seen were in Chicago in 1997; I was 21 years old, and I had gone to visit my Gramma for 2 weeks before college started back up. I'm looking at my scrapbook from that trip. The first one we went to was titled "A Bedfull of Foreigners." I remember laughing a lot at that one. The second one we went to was by the Light Opera Works of the Illinois' Music Theatre; it was at whichever University is in Evanston, Ill. The was titled "One Touch of Venus." That was my favorite part of the trip. Gramma told me how she used to take my mom and sisters to shows all the time when they were teens.

Now, a large University in our city built a Concert Hall 2 years ago. Our city's Symphony Orchestra moved there, and my sister and I went to it's Opening Night. They also have shows that travel countrywide; do you think I've been to any of them?? psssshht! The St. Petersburg Ballet Company performed "Romeo and Juliet" last Valentine's Day; hubby absolutely refused to go! Boo on him! We've had the Ten Tenors, John Tesh, and some other famous people come. I really need to look up the website and see what else is coming to town.