Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lexxaayy(:
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by lexxaayy(: »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

I think she does have an understanding because, like she mentioned in the book, and at the wedding, she didn't know she wanted a child until she was pregnant. she probably would never have wanted children, would have been content with just edward, if she hadn't gotten pregnant.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
hahah, i wondered about this one. i suppose, unless they went for some awesome car drive. they probably did go hunting, and maybe had some arm wrestles and stuff (:
(and, of course jasper was telling the truth. someone so lovely would never lie ;) )

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
obviously, because he felt nothing for her. a vampire wouldn't be like a person. they could only love one person, and it would change them dramatically, like bella changed edward. if edward felt nothing for tanya, that wouldn't change. but i wonder, would TANYA ever find happiness, because she's been changed so much when she started liking edward? hmmn ..

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
well, i picture aro and jane to be between about 9/10 years old and 13 years old.
i reckon at about five, but that would suck for the vampire, so i'd say 6 or 7 at the earliest. (six year olds are still plenty cute)
don't know about the second part of the question. at that age, the child would understand what was needed, and would be less tantum-y. i think the volturi could handle that, cos aro would know if the child wasn't being serious when they said they'd keep the secret, i suppose.
cullenloversince1918
Settled in Forks

Post by cullenloversince1918 »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
I think Bella does truly understand what she will be giving up, because she knows she can't live without edward (from her experience in new moon), and i think she understands what she'll be giving up because Jacob gave her the choice of keeping it all if she chose him, but she picked edward instead, knowing notr only is she giving up jacob but a whole human life.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
I think Jasper was telling the truth, I simply just can't picture edward in a strip club!!?? Plus, taking the mickey out of Bella is one of Emmett's favourite hobbies, so i think he was just winding her up when he said "Don't tell her anything!". So it was probably just some hunting and fighting- normal cullen guy stuff :)

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
It's in Edward's nature to be very protective, of Bella in particular, just because he adores her so much. And Tanya seems like a very independent kind of person, not something that matches edwards personality.
Edward also like to do things which he considers the right way, so he does have quite a gentlemanly way about him, whereas Tanya is much more straightforward. But I think the main thing was that when Tanya made her play, Edward wasn't looking for love, not even when he met Bella, it was only Alice's vision that convinced him Bella was the one for him and as time went on he discovered that Alice was right, there was no way he could be without bella. Anyway, Tanya considers herself family to edward, and edward has never seen her as more than that.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
Alec and Jane were both fairly young when they were created, so the start of adolescense is probably as young as you could go, because thats when children start to get an adult look on life, and understand boundaries to an extent where they can realise those boundaries are there for a reason. I'm not sure what the test would be, but some form of resistance to give over to their natures would be needed.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I don't think she fully understands but I think she has an idea. But she also knows what she will get in return.

I don't think he was telling the whole truth but I don't think they will have a normal bachelor party. Maybe go somewhere really full of animals to hunt or play tricks on him.

I think he turned her down because he said he was wandering the earth looking for something but he didn't know what because Bella wasn't born yet. If Tanya was the one he would've known. And he's too much of a gentleman to act like that.

I think the age should be thirteen. And I think only time would tell if they could keep the secret. And I think an older vampire would have to ALWAYS keep watch over them (i.e. the creator)
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mikkib »

Edward spent 110 years being "virtuous". Tonya was one of the original female vampire seductresses who jumped from man to man. I just couldn't imagine someone like Edward falling for someone like that. He was too old fashioned.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

She thinks the gains outweigh the losses. She loses her parents and the few human friends she had, but in return she gets a large family, and her Edward. She wants forever with him and nothing more.

I doubt that Jazz would lie to Bella about that. He must have wanted Edward well fed for their honeymoon knowing that they may be at Isle Esme for a few weeks with a limited amount of time for Edward to get away and hunt.

She wasn't what he was looking for. Edward's core knew what Edward needed, and Tanya didn't have what it was he was looking for or needed. Bella became a mystery to Edward that he wanted figured out, and when he got close to her, he realized what he was looking for and needed.

Children are persistant in what they want when they are younger. And if a child gets really angry there is nothing much a vampire!parent can do to stop them. They may not attack the human public right away if kept well in control, but there is always that possibility.
ShootingStar
Wandering Through Town

Post by ShootingStar »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. Bella has never been her age, she's always been a bit middle-aged, never going through all the teenage crap because I think the entire time she was just waiting for her Edward, I definitely think she gets what she's giving up, I mean it's not that much to ask, all you need is love right?

2. Ahh this part made me laaaauuuggghh. I really do think there were going to enforce some brotherly love and give Edward some 'tips' for the night. He probably was still telling the truth though, they probably just wrestled around and chased after lions, and had a few chats about the birds and the bees =]

3. Sooo many reasons, because Tanya is far too obvious for Edward, who likes the type of girl he has to figure out, seeing as everything is always obvious to him as he hears it inside his head. Tanya just wasn't another lost soul like Edward and Bella were, they had to find each other, there was no question about it.

4. I think as soon as they are at the age when they aren't too ridiculously small to be obvious to the people around them, and the age when their developement is enough that they can look after themselves an not need babysitting, so I think about 13?
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me." - Bella, first day of school. =]

Don't you know who you are, you're my shooting star.
E <3 B.

Mrs. Emmett Cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs. Emmett Cullen »

I think that Bella knows exactly what she's giving up. Yet again, she is young, and has only been in love once. Maybe to her, this seems like her only chance ((even though Jacob is infatuated with her, but puh-lease, it's Jacob, and this is Edward)). But she knows Edward loves her, and she loves Edward, and that's really all that should matter.

I think Emmett had 'strip club' on the brain, but Jasper and Edward convinced him otherwise.

Tanya just wasn't his type. They didn't connect well enough to be more than friends.

I guess they would have to see what their intelligence level is. I mean, isn't Jane or one of the Volturi guards really tiny or young? They would need to be at a point in their life to know wrong from right to keep the secret.
ImageImageImageImageImage

*Team Edward, because Jacob doesn't sparkle.*
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardCullen4eva »

navarre wrote:
Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

I think that Bella isn't thinking it through. Not for herself, i understand that she will be happy as long as she is with Edward forever, but i don't think that she is thinking about the toll it will take on the people around her and the life ahead of her. She is not realizing that she could still go to college and by the time she could be completely under control after being bitten, Charlie may be dead.
I don't think it really has anything to do with her age, well that's not really a problem for her, but mostly for edward, same with life expeierence. Edward just wants bella to be happy, and he does not want for her to regret anything, and have it be his fault.

Yes, i think that Jasper was telling the truth, but maybe they were doing it a different way, lioke maybe Emmett and Jasper found a spot with a large supply of mountian lions, somehting like that that might make it more fun for Edward.

I think Edward Turned Tanya down becuase i don't think he was ready to commit to a relationship. Also maybe becuase he didn't see anything special in Tanya. Sure she's pretty, but she isn't as unique and care free as Bella.

I think the age would be 13, becuase that is the age that we start maturing and we understand a large variety of words and other stuff. We now how to follow commands, and are old enough to realize what conquenses follow bad decisions.
P.S. If Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, or Taylor Lautner are reading this (cuz i saw in TEEN mag that Taylor Lautner went on to it) i just wanted to let u know that u did an awesome job in the movie and were perfect for the part. I have read the books and thought u guys had phenomal acting skills. Thanks so much for putting so much effort into the movie. Obessed twilight fans like me apprecitate it so much and i could go on forever on how good u guys are and what great role models u are, but i might bore u (lol) thank u so much and hope u get to read this!!! U deserve a thanks!!!!!

1) Yes, I truly believed that she had thought through the decision. She knew what she was giving up but realized that she was gaining so much more.

2)a. Hunt. b. Yes.

3)She was not his type. Period. Also, in MS, he had Bella on the brain. :)

4) I would say because of Jane, that 12 or 13 would be the youngest they would go. The test would be if they understood correction, discipline and how to resist the temptation to randomly hunt without supervision.(?)
They would need to understand that they as vampires can not make themselves known to the human world and that would be hard for a small child.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

She understands it well. Ever since she was a child, she always knew she did not really fit in the human world. She somehow knew she would never miss being a human. Plus she would be gaining so much more.

Emmett would have tried to drag them to a strip club, but he would have failed to get Edward's and Jasper's cooperation. :lol:
I'd like to think they did something more exciting than hunting, maybe a road trip somewhere, or at least hunting in a very far remote place.

I think one of the reasons is cos of Edward being old fashioned and he would know about Tanya's many lovers before. Tanya strikes me as being very flamboyant, maybe a little vain, sort of like Rosalie. Rosalie was never Edward's type, so the same would go for Tanya.

The Volturi strikes me as the type who make rules for their own convenience. Like even if they were to set a certain age or certain rules, they would bend it themselves if it benefits them. Like if they found an immortal child who has powers that could be useful to them. If that happened I think they would allow the child to live, as long as they think they can control him / her.
Last edited by Jazzy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelBelle22
Settled in Forks

Post by MelBelle22 »

I will admit that at first, I was hesitant to accept Bella's firm decision to CHOOSE to become a vampire. Sometimes it seemed hasty, and I could see where Rosalie was coming from as to all the things Bella would have to give up. I love the things about Bella's character that are obviously flawed and human. But on the other, stronger side of the argument: Bella found her true love in Edward. Not just a teenage crush or a summer fling, but her one, true, soul-mate love and destiny. Coming from first hand experience I know I would never want to part with mine, so I know exactly what and how she was thinking. In the books, Bella's mom is always joking that she, "...was born 35 years old and got more middle-aged each year." Bella is independent, can take care of herself (except for the accident-prone moments, but other than that I think she proved herself quite capable), and has never felt like she really fits in (besides Jacob, the Cullens, etc.) so I don't think age had anything to do with it. Bella sees the Cullens close up from Twilight all the way through Breaking Dawn, so I believe that she had a pretty detailed idea of what she would be getting herself into, and in the end, she gained so much more.

This is a really great question! I have wondered about this since I read the fourth book :D
I don't think Jasper was lying...but I definitely think he was omitting some of the events they had lined up! I'm sure it was the typical male-wreaking-havoc...vampire style. I agree with an earlier post that I just couldn't picture Edward in a strip club! Too much of a gentleman. I could definitely picture them going for an insane drive/racing their cars, etc...something ridiculously dangerous but loads of fun for an immortal ;)

I'm going to have to agree with a majority of the posts I've already seen. Edward waited a century for Bella, who is such a unique, amazing, one-of-a-kind girl. Just because Tanya is a gorgeous vampire, doesn't mean she has what it takes to win Edward's heart. And as someone already stated, why would Edward - old-fashioned gentleman - want a companion who has seduced many men before him? He had never given his heart (or virginity, for that matter) to anyone, so I'm sure the last person he'd want to give that to is Tanya, who simply just wasn't the one and tried too hard for his affection. Even Bella as a vampire compared to Tanya yields them as definite opposites on many levels. Edward loves the fact that he takes care of Bella, and looks after her, and that she isn't afraid of him for what he is. To him, Bella is his most precious possession. If Edward loves Bella, and Bella and Tanya are nothing alike, then it is pretty easy to figure out why he didn't like Tanya. It makes me wonder how many times Edward has had passes made on him by females - human or vampire - and if that affected his thoughts on love.

It seems as if the Volturi made certain acceptions when the outcome was in their favor (Jane and Alec, for example.) But although Jane and Alec were of the youngest vampires, they were obviously still capable of a complicated thought process, communication, etc. Even though Renesmee is not an immortal child, she turned out a certain way because of who she was raised by. When the immortal children were created, their purpose was to be a part of a killing army. I agree that the younger the creation, the harder it might be to control. But at the same time, if an immortal child was created in a supportive, loving environment such as the Cullen family - would it have a different outcome than the immortal children created for the wars? YES, most definitely.
Different people mature and grow at different rates, and age is only a number. But at the same time, there are certain things you just couldn't expect a 5-year-old to understand or be held responsible for. It seems to me that possibly the age of pre-teen, where adult-like behavior and ways of thinking become more prevalent, would be a more suitable age minimum for creating vampires, in this case.
"For it was not into my ear you whispered,
but into my heart.
It was not my lips you kissed,
but my soul." -Judy Garland-