Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rainey
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by rainey »

lol-I'm just glad someone agreed with me! I'm not attacking Meyer, at all, but thought my comment would
get deleted! It just seems a really long time for her to pout....yes, I do think the guides, etc...are another way to make money. Not that I'd deny her that. I'd contribute. ;) I just bought the soundtrack and the score today, in fact. I don't quite know what the problem is.
Maybe she just doesn't want to get caught up in the redundancy of re-writing each book from each charector's VP?
I'd rather she just wrote the next book from a combo of VP's, because the changes make each story more interesting, and further develope the charectors as well.
I adore the books, stories, etc...but am a little disenchanted w/the author's actions at the moment...
mandyb7
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by mandyb7 »

So for a while I did not want to read the Midnight Sun draft for many reasons like out of respect for Stephenie and that it might change but curiosity got the better of me and boy and I glad I read it!

It's absolutely amazing in my eyes! I may have even loved it more than Twilight.
It was so freaking so intense at times! and even more romantic too.

It was great learning exactly how Edward felt for Bella and how he over came the the urge to want to kill her and learned to control himself (I always wanted to know how he overcame that obstacle).
And I especially loved learning when he actually knew he was in love with Bella. I was a little surprised that Edward realized his love for Bella way before Bella realized she loved Edward, but that makes sense now, for one knowing how Edward really felt, and two that we couldn't tell in Twilight when exactly Edward fell for Bella cuz it's Bella's pov lol.

I'd have to say that I probably learned more about Bella through Edward's eyes than I did through her own. I have a lot more respect for Bella now, not that she was lacking any respect for me to begin with besides falling for Jacob.

And Alice is my new favourite person! Alice is an amazing wonderful person and I love her so much. She definitely made me cry in this.

I cried a lot reading this, good tears though.

Overall, I loved loved loved getting Edward's perspective on things, seeing how he truly felt for Bella, and learning more about the Cullens. It was amazing living though his emotions.

I think this was a brilliant idea of Stephenie's and I would honestly love it if she continued the saga though Edward's eyes, or at least for New Moon seeing as that wouldn't be too much repetition.

I can't imagine what the finished piece will be like!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
WA Addict
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

estela wrote:Ok im a little confused :?: ...a lot of people are still saying that she has put MS on hold but on her website it said

"June 2008 Update: In response to the outrageous number of emails that I have received with questions concerning Midnight Sun, I talked to Stephenie this weekend and she asked me to let everyone know that Midnight Sun is her next project. She has not yet finished writing it (and there is no timeline set up, so we all need to put a lot of effort into being patient for a while longer), but she is definitely still planning on having it published. And, after Breaking Dawn comes out, Stephenie will have much more time to focus on writing Midnight Sun."

so....she is having it published right? or did she change her mind or something?
I saw that too and was very excited, however, the release that she put out was in August... after that notice about finishing it, so I think the June comment was unrelated to the leak.

Personally I think it is unfair to punish her fans for the mistake of one person. I may just not understand the sense of betrayal that she feels but it seems like she should want to get the correct version out to her fans so that the leaked draft means nothing. I doubt that money is a motivation, but its not like it won't sell (!!!) and in fact, I think that the leak will end up BOOSTING sales (maybe part of the above mentioned conspiracy theory...?)

I absolutely ADORED the 12 chapters that she posted. I honestly was having a hard time grasping what the draw to Bella was for Edward and seeing Twilight from his POV was amazing and put all the pieces together! I also think that getting such a close look at the Cullens, before Bella is totally in the picture, was great! The way they interact with each other was so good to see. Plus it was nice to see how they all reacted to Edward's growing obsession and the threat it had to all of them.

I think it would be my favorite book when (being positive) it gets published... but it couldn't be without the background provided by the other 4 :o)

Just the thoughts of a newbie...
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
MissTwisties
Settled in Forks

Post by MissTwisties »

For my part, I believe that Stephenie Meyers is acting a bit childish and immature about this. First of, this was HER mistake. She is the one who trusted someone she obviously shouldn't have trusted with her draft. This other person was obviously not with the right to do what they did, but the fact is, it started from the author herself. I do not think any author should trust anyone with their manuscripts, drafts or otherwise, besides their own publisher. And hopefully a publisher is trustable with such material. I believe that she is now punishing all of her fans, with an incident that could have been avoided if SHE had been more careful. I understand the feeling of anger she has, finding out someone you trusted has been disloyal to you. But I also believe she is taking this way out of proportions when she says that she will now stop working on this project as long as she hears the words "Midnight Sun". Fact is, she will not stop hearing them...because the fans who lover her books are WAITING for this one to come out, very anxiously. And when the words do fade out in space, it's because no one will care anymore. Is that what she wants?

She created something BIG, here. Why alienate her fans at this point? It makes no sense. She has a world of opportunity in front of her. She has millions of people looking up to her, to bring them magic, dreams, love, passion...something so beautiful, it hurts.

I have read so many novels, and yet Twilight Serie is the one who kept me breathless, wanting...NEEDING for more. Now that I finished Breaking Dawn (I have read all 4 books in about a week and half), I am at lost...it seems like no other books are good enough. I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and couldn't find anything worth my interest. When I heard of Midnight Sun, I was relieved, knowing that one more would come soon enough and quench my thirst for more of Bella & Edward story...and oh the disapointment. Not only for Midnight Sun, but Barnes and Noble employee also told me that Twilight Saga Official Guide to the Serie, has ALSO been post-poned!! It was supposed to come out in December, and they told me it was now scheduled to come out in September of 2009...why? Two big disapointments in less than 24 hours. Talk about being let down..

I cannot wait for New Moon....I certainly HOPE that this, too, will not be "post-poned".
JenniferDoyon
Settled in Forks

Post by JenniferDoyon »

I for one, did not read the partial draft for Midnight Sun. I didn't want to spoil anything if it ever did come out. But I am praying it will!!!! here is my little ode to Midnight Sun:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielsdoyon/3158868762/

My Midnight Sun book cover creation.

mandyb7

Post by mandyb7 »

MissTwisties wrote:

I have read so many novels, and yet Twilight Serie is the one who kept me breathless, wanting...NEEDING for more. Now that I finished Breaking Dawn (I have read all 4 books in about a week and half), I am at lost...it seems like no other books are good enough. I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and couldn't find anything worth my interest. When I heard of Midnight Sun, I was relieved, knowing that one more would come soon enough and quench my thirst for more of Bella & Edward story...and oh the disapointment. Not only for Midnight Sun, but Barnes and Noble employee also told me that Twilight Saga Official Guide to the Serie, has ALSO been post-poned!! It was supposed to come out in December, and they told me it was now scheduled to come out in September of 2009...why? Two big disapointments in less than 24 hours. Talk about being let down..
I agree with this, I'm dying for more, nothing compares now, I NEED more of Edward and Bella, I will be very disappointed if Midnight Sun is not published.
and I just got let down today too, again, when I went to Indigo and was told the guide is not being released now like it was suppose to and my store seems to think it will come out around February.

and roseaurora I agree in that I think Midnight Sun will be my favourite too once it's published.
WA Addict
Siberian Kiss
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Siberian Kiss »

I think it´s quite difficult to know how the fans have to behave in order to do the best for SM. I mean, there are two choices, and I find pros and cons in each:

- If we try to forget about Midnight Sun and not ask SM, or whoever near to her or the editor, in order to not harash or pressure her...maybe she can think that the fans have forgotten about the book, that maybe we were not interested, that only reading twelve chapters was enough for us...nothing more far from the reality, because I´m sure that almost each person in this forum, would want Midnight Sun to be a REAL book, as twilight, new moon, eclipse and breaking dawn are, not only a writting exercise, or an online extra for the fans.

- If we keep asking her all the time about the book, she probably is gonna get tired of it and hate it, but, I think people do it with the best intention.

As SM said, she felt in love with Edward Cullen since the first minute of writting about him, so we are in love with Edward Cullen since the first minute of reading it, and the chance to really understand the mayor part of his acts and how he feels is a gift that if never happens in a book in our hands...personally for me, will give a bitersweet flavour from the twilight saga.

If only SM could say to us: "Yeah, I´m surely going to publish this book, don´t worry, maybe in one, two or ten years, but you are going to have it in any case!" I could wait all the necessary, but I will know I´ll encounter again with the sweetest Edward
love my banner, love MRK even more!!
What kind of man you are, if you are a man at all?
jasmine
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by jasmine »

Im just really happy that i was able to read twilight from edwards pov. Ok, It would suck if she would never finish and publish it. But still, at least we will always have the partial draft, and thats something i already love.

I dont think ppl should push SM for it, cause then it would become an obligation for her, and it would never be finished, or come out all wrong. She should do what she thinks is best, cause its -her- creation.

The Gen Y Rocks My Twilight Socks

Follow me @ http://gosh-makeup.blogspot.com/
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I don't mean to be insensitive. I feel badly that a friend of SM's betrayed her trust by leaking the draft. I think we've all had friends betray our trust at one point or another. I wouldn't blame her for ending that friendship and potentially even taking legal action. But, aside from that, I am having a hard time understanding why SM is so upset about this. The response from people who have read the draft has been overwhelmingly positive. I would think it would make SM feel good that an unedited draft with some grammatical errors was so well received. I haven't see any comments on the few mistakes, but rather a ton of comments on the quality of the draft, the interest in Edward's POV, and how well the book parallels Twilight. I imagine it would be very difficult to write MS and not deviate from the events and conversations in Twilight, but SM did so fabulously. SM will still get paid if she finishes the draft. I think everyone who has read the books will buy MS if she finishes it. I know everyone who read MS thus far will. I personally can't wait to read the rest of it.

I agree with what someone else said-it is unfair to punish all of the fans for the actions of this one person. I really hope SM will finish writing MS for her fans.
mandyb7

Post by mandyb7 »

eclipserox wrote:I don't mean to be insensitive. I feel badly that a friend of SM's betrayed her trust by leaking the draft. I think we've all had friends betray our trust at one point or another. I wouldn't blame her for ending that friendship and potentially even taking legal action. But, aside from that, I am having a hard time understanding why SM is so upset about this. The response from people who have read the draft has been overwhelmingly positive. I would think it would make SM feel good that an unedited draft with some grammatical errors was so well received. I haven't see any comments on the few mistakes, but rather a ton of comments on the quality of the draft, the interest in Edward's POV, and how well the book parallels Twilight. I imagine it would be very difficult to write MS and not deviate from the events and conversations in Twilight, but SM did so fabulously. SM will still get paid if she finishes the draft. I think everyone who has read the books will buy MS if she finishes it. I know everyone who read MS thus far will. I personally can't wait to read the rest of it.

I agree with what someone else said-it is unfair to punish all of the fans for the actions of this one person. I really hope SM will finish writing MS for her fans.
I totally understand and I agree.
Siberian Kiss wrote: If only SM could say to us: "Yeah, I´m surely going to publish this book, don´t worry, maybe in one, two or ten years, but you are going to have it in any case!" I could wait all the necessary, but I will know I´ll encounter again with the sweetest Edward
I agree, it'd be nice to be reassured that we will one day get a finished version of Edward's time with Bella (as far as I know it isn't certain wether or not we will get a published version of MS from Steph).
WA Addict