What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
kaybee
Settled in Forks

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by kaybee »

I was debating on whether I wanted to post this or not...but here goes:
HOW TWILIGHT SAVED MY LIFE (no, really)

PLEASE read it, I can't thank the person that I honestly want to (Ms. Meyer, of course)-but you all love the series as much as I do, so you are second best! :)Since I have no where else to post this, I am going to write about my experience here (lucky YOU!).
First things first, I am 24 years old and I live in the northern part of the US.
I have had a pretty decent life so far- I have a college education, I live with my boyfriend of seven years, and I have a job that I like well enough.
But this past year I was suffering from severe depression-and I didn't realize it until I was in DEEP. See, I graduated college this last year, as did my best friends. And they all moved away from me- the farthest being across the country in California. This devastated me beyond belief, whether I realized it at first or not. My free time became pointless, because although I had my wonderful boyfriend to share it with (only sometimes, cause sometimes our work schedules clash) it wasn't enough. I KNEW something was missing. I developed seriously bad habits, eating terribly (which didn't help me cause I was already overweight) and racking up TERRIBLE credit card debts (ahhh so bad, I won't depress you with totals). I just wanted to fill the void that was left after my friends, whom I hung out with almost every day of the week, left me consumed in. My health was deteriorating (I was heading towards my father's life of diabetes and arthritis because of my terrible habits. I already have bad knees! :( ) and I was stuck in a downward spiral. My boyfriend and I would fight for no good reason and my "self destructing" behavior was ruining our relationship. Many times my boyfriend told me that he loved me and wanted to marry me (nothing that surprised me, cause we have been together for over 7 years) but he was having a hard time with the way I had been behaving. One time a few months ago, he gave me an ultimatum. He told me to get healthy (mentally first, then physically. Cause he couldn't stand to see me like my father who is in terrible health at age 47) or we were done. Which scared me, A LOT-but I didn't know what to do and I was in a way too proud to reach out for help. I had gone the "therapist route" before, to no avail. I had taken anti-depressants, which barely helped also. Pretending that I was okay seemed to work fine (except for my boyfriend problem, my health, and my incredible credit-induced debt [that is manageable, but still terrible]).
So where is my "happy ending," you ask?
Well, a friend of mine (who is little more than a casual friend...keep in mind that all of my best friends moved away from me) asked me if I wanted to go see the movie "Twilight" on the first weekend that it was open. Since I had gotten caught up in the hype over the movie (no, I hadn't read the books before...but it seemed like everyone else had), I said "sure."
So, we went to go see the movie. And it felt like there was a lot missing from the plot. I asked my friend about this, and she said that there was a lot missing and that I should "read the book."
Of course I went out and got "Twilight" and "New Moon." And finished "Twilight" in less than 24 hours. I went out and purchased "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" and consumed all four books in four days (and I read the partial draft of "Midnight Sun" in that time span also). For four days, I did nothing but read. I laughingly call the time my "Cullen coma."
Stephenie Meyer created such a pleasant world for myself to be lost in. I regained my "romantic side" after reading the books (come on, how can you NOT?!?) and realized that there was more to life than what I had been making it about. I realized how much I love my boyfriend and how much he is to me like Edward is to Bella. And I realized that I would do anything for him. I don't have to die to be with my boyfriend, I have to live. And so in the span of four days (with the magical writings of Stephenie Meyer on my side) I came up with a new personal philosophy. That I may not live forever but I needed to make the most of my time here-and I was not doing that.
Now I know that I have only been at it for a month now, but my life has changed 100%. Firstly, and most importantly, I am happy. And I know what I want...which is my happy ending with my "Edward." I don't need to dwell on what I don't have anymore-I need to celebrate what I DO have. (and yes, my eating habits have improved DRAMATICALLY and I am working towards getting healthy. I have a plan to get myself out of debt too, which should work pretty well considering I am curbing my compulsive part of my personality).
Thank you, Twilight series, for opening my eyes. I am forever indebted to you..."a lifetime of servitude is up for grabs." For real.
505Mom
Settled in Forks

Post by 505Mom »

Wow. I have a daughter who is, well, let's just say it - a MAJOR book nerd. When she was small - she'd rather read than do anything else. She read when we went to dinner - she read at family gatherings - she read EVERYWHERE - and she would re-read everything 100 times. So Twilight et al didn't strike me as anything special when she asked for those. She loved the Babysitters Club books for years...Prior to the release of the movie - she was VERY excited - and I decided that if I was going to see the Movie - I had to read the book first. I am also an avid bookworm - but tend to like the legal-based thrillers. Little did I know that I would get through all 4 books within a week (it would have been sooner but she loaned one of the books out and I had to wait for it to get home...) I am 40something - but sooooo want to be 17 again. The entire saga just grabbed me - I couldn't put them down and have re-read BD several times. I just found the Midnight Sun draft and must say I am really looking forward to hearing Edward's side -

The only problem I see is - the more I read the books - the more disappointed I am in Twilight the movie - the author repeatedly discusses character development as an important aspect of her writing style but I feel the movie was seriously lacking in that department. My daughter doesn't like the casting - but I think it is due to the fact that the books were sooooo good at making us a part of the characters, we waited for that in the movie and didn't find it. I LIKE the choices for the characters and hope that the director will follow the Harry Potter lead... make it longer - really show us the characters..... we WILL sit through it.
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

Here is my lovely Twilight experience, and I will try to shorten it so you will likely read it!

Finally succumb to sister, and read the books. Cancel all plans, back out of everything, don't do what I am supposed to, don't sleep, bathe, do anything (gross, I know) for three days as I reace through the books as fast as possible. Nearly have breakdown when I can't get the fourth book, but then someone comes to my rescue and finds it for me.

Become needlessly addicted. Drop life. Become insane twilighter.

Given ultimatum. Try to balance out life and Twilight.

Stop sleeping in order to balance life and Twilight.

See the light after deciding to write about nothing in particular and it turns out to be a long letter on why Twilight has made me depressed.

So these are my reasonings:

I now want things I will never have.
a) a love a strong as Bella and Edward's. Not one like it. Just how deep and passionate it is. How much love they have for each other, not the love exactly.
b) i will in fact grow old

I realized I had delved deep into this alternate reality, and then I expected those things out of real life. And the reality of those things not existing for me hurt.

But now I am starting to get over it, and I am trying to focus on how Twilight has made me happier, and less likely to settle for a crappy love.

I just hope it hasn't made my standards too high :?
ImageImageImageImageImage
MoonBeam09
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonBeam09 »

Just finished Breaking Dawn and I'm heartbroken, because it's over! I LOVED this saga... I know Stephenie has said she needs a break from vampires... but I really realy really hope she doesn't stop! There are so many characters that I have fallen in love with in this universe. I am so glad the world will keep going at least with the movies. Ack! I have never been so sad to see a book end. I wanted Breaking Dawn to go on forever... and people can say what they want about it, but I was so glad there was a happy ending! I hate how people feel like for something to be artistic it needs to be tragic - I love how SM really creates a fantasy world... and that means happy ending and all. Life can be cruel, I'm glad this world didn't play by the rules... I just can't say enough how much I really want to read more Twlight books... KEEP EM COMING SM!

PS I cried... anyone else feel really sad when it was over, because it was so good?
sophieet
Wandering Through Town

Post by sophieet »

The first time I even heard of Twilight was when the film came out. My friends invited me to go and see it (none of them had read the books, just wanted a trip to the cinema and nothing else of interest was on). In all honesty, I wasn't very enthusiastic about it and didn't feel like watching it, but I went anyway. I really enjoyed the film and decided to order the books when I got home. I read Twilight and New Moon then went out and got the next two books immediately... I read almost non-stop for 3 days and finished them in that time, too. I was addicted, I found I couldn't put them down. :lol: I don't cry at books, but these are the second series of books that have made me come close (the first series was the Noughts and Crosses series... which is also amazing, by the way).

I actually felt slightly sad that I hadn't found them earlier; having read them all in only 3 days, I had only just found them and then suddenly they were over and now I want more! Hehe. I CANNOT WAIT for the New Moon film. My favourite book of series! I hope they nail it! :D
You wanted me to be human, I reminded him. Well, watch me.
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

i love it :)
MissCorker
Settled in Forks

Post by MissCorker »

My friend (a children's librarian at the time) recommended the books to me. At the time, NM had just come out and there were signs everywhere because SM was coming to BYU (my University) for a book signing/Q&A deal.

I never got around to reading them but, a year or two later, my brother's (yes brother!) friend lent them to him and, remembering my friend's advice, I read them too.

We both loved them and Eclipse came out a few months later.

I was quite obsessed at first, and again a year later, but it's a much calmer thing now. Still, I get excited enough to write articles on my blog about it! :)
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

To be honest at the beginning, I was wondering what was up with the whole Twilight obsession. I didn't get it but I shouldn't have been surprised know how people were obessed with Harry Potter.

I went out and bought Twilight out of complete curiousity but it sat around on my dresser for weeks. One day I finally picked it up to read and BAM, I was hooked from the very beginning. I went out and bought the other books over the next two days and completed the entire series in a week.

I'm so glad that I decided to read this series. I has all the complications and emotions that make up a relationship. SM has written a great bunch of books that have brought many people together because of their love for these books.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

I have been a fan for a couple of years, maybe 3? It's just so cool to see how much more popular it has gotten, and its a movie now! It's amazing. Twilight, the Saga, is like, an escape from reality! You can just laugh, cry, go through a bunch of emotions while reading this book! And reading it over and over, you get something different each time! I don't know what I would do without it...quite frankly!
ImageImage
E<3B
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

I absolutely LOVE the Twilight series! I adore Bella/Edward's relationship & my fav character is definitely Alice!

Breaking Dawn is personally, my favorite from the series because Edward/Bella, of course, get married & have beautiful Renesme! I'm so happy for her! :mrgreen: