Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xMoonlightxTragedyx
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by xMoonlightxTragedyx »

Woo Hoo Go Harry.
I was the third grade group. Thats when it came out for me. So I grew up with it.
I never cry during books, except that last one. When you grow with the characters real or not they are a part of your life. Just like Twilight is now part of my last years of being a teenager.
Liv-wa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Liv-wa »

xMoonlightxTragedyx wrote:Woo Hoo Go Harry.
I was the third grade group. Thats when it came out for me. So I grew up with it.
I never cry during books, except that last one. When you grow with the characters real or not they are a part of your life. Just like Twilight is now part of my last years of being a teenager.
I definately know how that is. I read Sorceres Stone in first grade. I never cry in books eitehr but that last Harry Potter book makes me cry every time. Growing up in the books was definately part of my childhood.
Click here to join. We need some more of that pureblood [;Image
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

Liv-wa wrote:
xMoonlightxTragedyx wrote:Woo Hoo Go Harry.
I definately know how that is. I read Sorceres Stone in first grade. I never cry in books eitehr but that last Harry Potter book makes me cry every time. Growing up in the books was definately part of my childhood.
^ That's very true. I can't imagine growing up without reading HP. It was such a big part of my childhood. And then Twilight came along ;).
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

I'm so glad so many people think along the same lines as me..I had read HP so many times, that was until i found Twilight, but Harry still holds a special place in my heart.

He represents the child of me and twilight is the teenager. Both as good as the other just a different part of me

I can't agree that i never cry in books cos i cry in anything that has anything remotely sad but the final HP made me cry my heart out.

Little elise=Harry :)
teenager elise=Twilight :D
20's elise=?? :?:
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
luv_edward_cullen
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by luv_edward_cullen »

HP came out when I was four so I didn't catch on till when the movie came out. It was a big part of my childhod and my teenager years. I think no matter how old I am, HP will always be a big part of my life.
RajaniArchana

Post by RajaniArchana »

I was in the sixth grade when I was introduced to Harry. JK had me from word one. I went through a two or three year lull without reading them right aft HBP came out, then got back in again well after the release of DH. Remarkably...i still cried when I read the end of OOtP. Specifically when Sirius died. I was in tears when I read it in sixth grade, and was again when I reread it about a month or so ago. I love these books SO MUCH. :D

Team Sirius: Because the greatest love is sacrifice
Team Garrett: Because true love is *electrifying*

Anzo/\Shisana--Jesse/Leslie--Harry&Ginny/\Ron&Hermione
WishIWasACullen

Post by WishIWasACullen »

Oh I definitely want to reread them (For, like, the 9th time :lol: ) but do I have to wait 'til December?!?

lolz

And it's hard for me to pick favorite characters--I obviously love Harry (except in book 5, he's a jerk in that book-for good reason but still..) RON!! and SIRIUS!!! I love Sirius...I have a not so secret crush on Sirius. May he rest in peace :(

Ooooh! And I'm way excited for Beetle the Bard :D
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

a_n_n_a
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by a_n_n_a »

luv_edward_cullen wrote:
Liv-wa wrote:Especially when Eclipse knocked DH off the best seller list.
Remember, that only happened because Eclipse came out 2 WEEKS after DH. I hate how Twilighters keep gloating about that.
When people bring that up I say, "Come back to me in 10 years and tell me if Twilight is still on the NYT Bestsellers' List". Harry Potter was up there TEN YEARS. I can guarantee you Twilight won't be up there that long, and if it somehow magically does appear there, I'll still find it completely ludicrous. Another thing is that NYT made basically a childrens' bestseller list because Harry Potter was taking up the spots on the "adult" one. Lame. So if Potter would have not been made to go onto the childrens' one, it's hard to say whether Twilight would have made the old one. I mean, you can say that Eclipse beat out Deathly Hallows after being there for 2 weeks at number one but that was one book, you know? And two weeks.
ImageImageImage
luv_edward_cullen
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by luv_edward_cullen »

a_n_n_a wrote:When people bring that up I say, "Come back to me in 10 years and tell me if Twilight is still on the NYT Bestsellers' List". Harry Potter was up there TEN YEARS. I can guarantee you Twilight won't be up there that long, and if it somehow magically does appear there, I'll still find it completely ludicrous.
It's because Harry Potter appeals to both adults AND children. You don't see 8 year olds running around with copies of Twilight. That's because Twilight's only gear towards TEENAGE GIRLS. Why else would we be surprised when we see a guy on the Twilight boards? Because the book wasn't written to appeal to guys or anyone above the age of twenty, really.

People who still say Twilight's better than HP has to seriously reconsider. (Don't get me wrong, I love Twilight) It might be more popular right now but in ten, twenty years, is it still going to be that way?
Liv-wa

Post by Liv-wa »

luv_edward_cullen wrote:
a_n_n_a wrote:When people bring that up I say, "Come back to me in 10 years and tell me if Twilight is still on the NYT Bestsellers' List". Harry Potter was up there TEN YEARS. I can guarantee you Twilight won't be up there that long, and if it somehow magically does appear there, I'll still find it completely ludicrous.
It's because Harry Potter appeals to both adults AND children. You don't see 8 year olds running around with copies of Twilight. That's because Twilight's only gear towards TEENAGE GIRLS. Why else would we be surprised when we see a guy on the Twilight boards? Because the book wasn't written to appeal to guys or anyone above the age of twenty, really.

People who still say Twilight's better than HP has to seriously reconsider. (Don't get me wrong, I love Twilight) It might be more popular right now but in ten, twenty years, is it still going to be that way?
I highly doubt Twilight will be as popular in twenty years as it is now, granted I don't neccessarily think HP will be either, but HP has a probability of still being extremely lilked. In Harry Potter the plot lines twist amd keep the mind captivated enough that people will always be finding something new in them. It will take years for all of their secrets to be revealed. Twilight just isn't that deep. Its still an amzing story, just not as intricate.
Click here to join. We need some more of that pureblood [;Image