Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Jazz Girl »

malaz wrote:Consequently enough - that scene, if anything proved the depth of Edward’s love for Bella. In Twilight - we learn that he has an absolute attraction and irrevocable love towards her but it’s not explored in deptht. However, when we learned the reasons of why he left at the end of new moon - it definitely shed light upon his conduct and more or less justified it for me. If the idea alone merely caused him anguish, torture and utter heart ache…then what would him leaving her have done to him? And that’s one of my favourite things about Edward - how he is able to love, and that’s the reason I absolutely love that scene, simply because of his motivation and intention in the first place.
Great point, Malaz. In terms of pure emotional punch, there really isn't a scene that compares. I can't honestly say that it made me love him or hate him. But, it definitely hits you hard.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I totally understand what you mean malaz and just clarify, its not his leaving that bugged me (I totally agree that it was an ultimate sign of his love, in an odd way...) it's the way he behaved between the "attack" and the goodbye. Just didn't like it. But that's just me, perhaps....
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

roseaurora wrote:I totally understand what you mean malaz and just clarify, its not his leaving that bugged me (I totally agree that it was an ultimate sign of his love, in an odd way...) it's the way he behaved between the "attack" and the goodbye. Just didn't like it. But that's just me, perhaps....
RoseAurora, it isn't just you. The three-day silent treatment that preceded his leaving just about did me in. I can totally understand why. He is building up those final stores of strength to leave. But, God, I hate those pages. I just about start begging Bella to just talk to him, don't leave him alone. I beg Edward not to do it, since you can see what is coming. If someone were to post a question about the most powerful/emotional moments, this would be one of my top 3.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

roseaurora wrote:I totally understand what you mean malaz and just clarify, its not his leaving that bugged me (I totally agree that it was an ultimate sign of his love, in an odd way...) it's the way he behaved between the "attack" and the goodbye. Just didn't like it. But that's just me, perhaps....
"in an odd way" - that's funny :lol: but true.

Edward's behavior after the attack and before the goodbye was both surprising and expectant for me. I am not sure how both words can apply to the same action. However, what was surprising about it, is that i expected Edward to want to spend his last days with Bella to the fullest and experience as much as possible - but the consequence of that, is that it wouldn't be exactly fair to Bella so I could see why he didn't consider it even though he would have wanted to, very very much. It was expectant because it's so blatantly Edward, and his main concern is Bella. . . so. . .
ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ariadnee »

I'd love to go back to the question that Jazz Girl posed about what would the Cullens have done if Edward had fallen in love with a vampire that was not willing to go vegetarian...

One possibility is that they would have applied the same rules to Edward and his mate that they do to visiting carnivores such as Peter and Charlotte, the Nomads, and the Witnesses in BD. You can visit, even stay here, but you must not hunt in the vicinity. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem for crazy drivers like vampires (remember when Alice wants to drive to L.A. and back in one night?) Of course, Carlisle and the others would always disapprove, and always try to convert them, but would they disown Edward...I don't know. A follow-on question for the Jasper fans is, "What would that have done to Jasper?"

-Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1
mikkib

Post by mikkib »

What do you think Edward was like after BD? The guilt and pain surrounding his relationship with Bella was gone. He finally had a mate and child and unexpected surprise. Do you think he just walked around ecstatic with life like Bella? In some ways I can't imagine Edward that way. He was always sort of brooding and pessimistic that is how I see him.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

mikkib wrote:What do you think Edward was like after BD? The guilt and pain surrounding his relationship with Bella was gone. He finally had a mate and child and unexpected surprise. Do you think he just walked around ecstatic with life like Bella? In some ways I can't imagine Edward that way. He was always sort of brooding and pessimistic that is how I see him.
I doubt that Jacob would have made that possible.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

ariadnee wrote:I'd love to go back to the question that Jazz Girl posed about what would the Cullens have done if Edward had fallen in love with a vampire that was not willing to go vegetarian...
One possibility is that they would have applied the same rules to Edward and his mate that they do to visiting carnivores such as Peter and Charlotte, the Nomads, and the Witnesses in BD. You can visit, even stay here, but you must not hunt in the vicinity. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem for crazy drivers like vampires (remember when Alice wants to drive to L.A. and back in one night?) Of course, Carlisle and the others would always disapprove, and always try to convert them, but would they disown Edward...I don't know. A follow-on question for the Jasper fans is, "What would that have done to Jasper?"

-Ariadnee
Credit where credit is due, that fabulous question was posed by EclipseRox, not me. And, I wanted to respond. Interesting thoughts, Ariadnee. No, I can never see the Cullens disowning Edward. It is fairly apparent that he is their favorite; favorite son of Carlisle and Esme and favorite sibling to the rest(with maybe the exception of Rosealie, but I don't think she has a favorite anything except reflection). If it were the case that Edward were to fall in love with a "traditional" vampire, I can totally see them establishing those same rules. But, more so than that, I don't think Edward could fall in love with a traditional vampire. He, more than any of the others (with the possible exception of Carlisle) feels such guilt and conflict about his "true" nature that I truly believe the idea of feeding on a human repulses him. If you look throughout the series, there are scattered comments throughout. He says it plainly enough in Twilight when Bella asks him why he doesn't feed on humans. "I don't want to be a monster." But, througout the series, from MS to BD, there are comments he makes (forgive me for not being able quote, I don't have my books with me) that reveal his true feelings about the nature of being a vampire. So, as he hates himself for that side of his nature, I don't think he could ever truly bond emotionally with someone who did feed on humans. So, I don't think it would ever be an issue.

To follow Ariadnee's extended question of what it would have done to Jasper, an even better question. Jasper and Edward have a very complicated relationship, in my view. They are actually so much alike that they probably don't even realize it; both so introspective and intensely emotional. We know from MS that Edward has always been tough on Jasper for his struggles, that he continues to put himself in temptation's way when he hasn't yet mastered control. If, then, Edward were to fall in love with someone who feeds on humans, it would/should be very hypocritical of Edward to accept it without a thought. I think Jasper would take that very hard. Despite their quiet natures, I see Edward as Jasper's favorite brother. That criticism and hypocrisy would cut Jasper to the quick. And, I think Alice would take great exception to it as well, and we all know she doesn't mince words with Edward when he's acting the fool. ;) That would complicate Jasper's reaction even more, because it would combine his own feelings of .... betrayal... by Edward with the fact that Alice's relationship with Edward is suffereing because of him.

PS Yes, I absolutely see the irony in my asking the question I posted earlier, about the changes in Edward & Bella's relationship if he weren't fully veggie, given what I posted above. It is the difference between a man who changes his behavior for the love of a woman and a man who is already trying to be a better person that intrigue me. Forgive the contradiction.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

mikkib wrote:What do you think Edward was like after BD? The guilt and pain surrounding his relationship with Bella was gone. He finally had a mate and child and unexpected surprise. Do you think he just walked around ecstatic with life like Bella? In some ways I can't imagine Edward that way. He was always sort of brooding and pessimistic that is how I see him.
Sorry about the double post (again). MikkiB you always ask such great questions and I couldn't pass this one up. It's hard to see in my head precisely because we are so used to Edward as the broody, conflicted man that he is, but, yes, I totally believe that Edward saw the world completely differently once Bella was changed and they were out of danger. Sure, Edward still had his introspective side. But, I truly believe that his love for Bella changed him so completely that, once the barriers were out of their path, he was free. I always attributed at least a significant chunk of the broody conflict to the fact that he was odd man out; a bachelor living in a house of perfectly matched partners. Once Bella came along, and he didn't have to concern himself with his struggle not to break her or kill her, he was totally free to enjoy life beyond anything he thought possible.

I relate it to the movie just a little bit. Those few precious scenes, from the meadow to the arrival of James and company. Someone posted on the movie thread that Rob is acting like he's drunk or something. Yes, I agree, drunk on love. For those precious few moments, Edward sees the possibilities of love and is free to just be a young man in love....until he's brutally reminded that the woman he loves is in constant danger in his world. It's the same thing here. I imagine that, if in the end all four films are made, we won't see many of Rob's beautiful smiles between now and those final scenes where Edward is once again free to just be a man in love.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
mikkib

Post by mikkib »

Repost from Bella's thread. Just a funny thought:

Think about this. In 7 years when Nessie becomes a "woman" and her and Jake do truly get together. Imagine dating and all that with a father-in-law that can read your mind!!! I mean, his mind can be innocent enough now because she's a child but later, even the best guy is still a guy! Or heck, even if they got married, can you imagine having to hear those thought about your daughter? And, hear your daughter's thoughts? If she's like her Mommy, they might not be that pure either :lol: