Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Amethyst1 »

eclipserox wrote: I think there is a difference between physical and emotional pain. It feels very different to be in physical pain when you break a bone or something than to be in emotional pain (e.g. losing a loved one.) One is literally physical, and hurts wherever you have been physically harmed. The other is all emotional. You don't actually hurt anywhere physically, but you feel a different kind of pain. SM has never said whether or not Jasper can sense physical pain. We do know that he can sense emotional pain. He could tell Bella was in pain when they were in the hotel room in AZ in Twilight. But, you're right, it doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure Jasper wasn't in the room during Bella's transformation.

I'm sure Edward wondered whether or not Bella was in pain. But, I don't know why he wouldn't believe her. Bella was generally very honest with Edward. And, Edward didn't act very concerned after she woke up and said she was OK. Normally, Edward would agonize over any potential negatives. This time, he seemed genuinely happy. This is one of the questions none of us will be able to KNOW the answer without a doubt. Only SM would know.
The difference between physical and emotional pain is that with emotional pain it has do more with chemical changes in your body that are transmitted to the brain, hormones and such. Whilst physical pain has to do more with neurons and nerves and other complex stuff that i don't feel the need to extrapolate. the thing is that you FEEL it - whether it's physical or emotional or mental, it's perception like other senses - the same way you hear and smell things. and Jasper feels whatever your body feels, your "emotional" state. The thing is though that, physical pain is capable of effecting your emotional state as well.

A broken whisper. "She must be in agony" - Edward Cullen
I didn't say he didn't believe her, i said he wanted to believe her despite his suspicions.
As she says, the pain in his voice is only because he feared she was in pain. If he had known how much pain she was in, he would have been on his knees. It would have been the burning man all over again.
Who says that?

and roseaurora - awesome, that's what i was about to post myself. i absolutely agree. the more venom, the more less time it takes for the transformation as SM said herself.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

malaz wrote:
As she says, the pain in his voice is only because he feared she was in pain. If he had known how much pain she was in, he would have been on his knees. It would have been the burning man all over again.
Who says that?
Malaz, Bella says that.
"Pressure on my fingers. It was harder not to answer this voice, but I stayed paralyzed. I knew that the pain in his voice now was nothing compared to what it could be. Right now he only feared that I was suffering." (BD, p 380)

Edward4Ever, I guess it depends on how you interpret it. When I read SM's answer, I took it to mean that the most important part of the process, the most painful, happens after the venom reaches the heart and starts circulating through the body tissues from there. Edward had already taken care of that part, having injected the syringe of venom directly into Bella's heart. Thus, the additional bites, regardless of how well placed, just added pain as that venom traveled to the heart to be circulated. However, you could read it as since she was already at the peak of the pain, she wouldn't have felt the additional venom burn. Please don't misunderstand me, I absolutely think Edward did the right thing, and I absolutely understand that everything he did he did out of a furious need to protect her from pain. I just wonder if, with his drive to protect Bella at all times, this was another instance of a bit of overkill.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

edward4ever wrote:
navarre wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen wrote:...can he read the thoughts of the people on the program? Whether it be live or pre-recorded?
No I do not think Edward can read the minds of those on TV. Reason is that he has to 1) be familiar with their 'voice' in their head ( Twilight) even though he can pick up their thoughts the longer he is around them and 2) he can only hear thoughts within a few miles radius (again Twilight, I think) I know Jacob was at tleast three miles out when Edward picked up his thoughts in his wolf form in BD.

Physical proximity is needed for him.
navarre...your first reason is incorrect. He can read anybody's mind in close proximity (except Bella's, of course). What you're thinking of is --if he needs to pick out your voice in a crowd of people...he needs to be familiar with what it "sounds" like in his head.

But your conclusion is correct...he would not be able to read the minds of people on TV because they are too far away.
Yep, you are right. Thanks for the correction, edward4ever. :)

Edward's Strong Points- Mmmmmm. His ability to NOT kill Bella. To resist his blood lust time & time again(siren's call in Bella's blood). His ability to not give in to his desires towards her. To keep both him & Bella virtuous. Nice. He is a gentleman, passionate, loyal & faithful. Rare traits. He does take responsibility for his actions and owns up to them ex: Eclipse.

Edward's Weaknesses- He is too melodramatic for my tastes. He acts irrationally without considering the consequences.(New Moon). For now, that is all I can think of.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Jazz Girl wrote:Malaz, Bella says that.
"Pressure on my fingers. It was harder not to answer this voice, but I stayed paralyzed. I knew that the pain in his voice now was nothing compared to what it could be. Right now he only feared that I was suffering." (BD, p 380)
hmmm. . . you gotta admit though, you overstated it when you mentioned the "burning man" is what would be his reaction if he knew the extent of Bella's pain. (besides i don't find bella to be so reliable considering eclipse. . .)

Here’s the thing though - to me - I don’t think he would have been the burning man, because there’s a huge difference of her being on her death bed (aka seeing her ceasing away) and her going through a transformation (seeing her in pain BUT knowing it will get better) while both circumstances splinter his heart again and again into a thousand different shards encompassing his hurt. The difference still remains. He is sorry he caused her pain. He is sorry to have to put her through that. He is sorry that she had to ever experience that. He is sorry for everything but his self-loathing and agonized falter for her pain don’t signify a slight importance in his eyes against seeing HER get better and knowing that SHE will get better. If she was never going to get better, then I agree. . . The burning man is what would have become of him.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Edward Cullen: FireStarter
:lol:
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

hahahahahaha. . . halarious.
:lol: :lol:
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Notice
the story my love and I are writing will be done in a day or two!
If anyone is interested in reading it, PM me, and I will send it to you when it's completed!
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

What's it about SenorGimp? OH YES I FORGOT! New Edward question:

Do you think Edward had a hard time restraining physical affection/lust for Bella?
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

It started out as a romance between mike and leah, but has progressed to a much darker place, complete with intrigue, suspense, action, and, indeed, tragedy!
Does that mean you want to read it?
I'll add you to the list!

As for your question:
Yes, very hard, considering that vampires feel emotions in a way stronger way than humans do, and we see how hard of a time Bella has restraining her affection/lust for Edward, so if you turn the tables and factor that in...
It's got to be damn near impossible for him.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

SenorGimp wrote:It started out as a romance between mike and leah, but has progressed to a much darker place, complete with intrigue, suspense, action, and, indeed, tragedy!
Does that mean you want to read it?
I'll add you to the list!

As for your question:
Yes, very hard, considering that vampires feel emotions in a way stronger way than humans do, and we see how hard of a time Bella has restraining her affection/lust for Edward, so if you turn the tables and factor that in...
It's got to be damn near impossible for him.

Wow. That sounds like an amazing storyline. Sign me up.. :D I agree with your answer as well. Edward has admitted to physical attraction for Bella, and vampire's emotions are intensified more than human's. So he probably had to hold that in till wedding night. :lol: ;)