Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: A Mid Summer Nights Dream

Post by SarahGoddard »

Twilightlover101 wrote:i think it was because of how strong love can really be
like in the play all this people fall in love with the wrong person because they can't help it
it's out of their power, the same with jake imprinting on nessie, he can't help but love her with all his might
I just wanted to say I loved your icons! Really mad me giggle! :lol:

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
fidget
Settled in Forks

Post by fidget »

At the end of MSND, the veil of the spells were lifted and each person saw clearly... now, in this book, once Bella's transformation is complete, she feels as though a veil has been lifted from her mind and she sees things more clearly, right? I thought that was a parallel as well as the obvious... love triangle and imprinting.
ReneeJ
Settled in Forks

Post by ReneeJ »

I think another parallel is the fight between Titania and Oberon over the little human boy. It's the Rosalie, Jacob, Reneesmee triangle.
topazeyes2
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by topazeyes2 »

Kind of Random...
I'm doing Midsummer's Night Dream I'm Helena
Image[/img]
Bulldozer Trainee at E.D.C. Go Emmett!!!
bodysnatcher
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bodysnatcher »

I think it's interesting that SM would choose A Midsummer Night's Dream as an inspiration for Breaking Dawn.
William Shakespeare intended to show how love is like a dream that humans easily wake out of. It contradicts "eternal love".

I hope SM knows this, considering the fact that she was an English major, and has written five books :?
"and the boy loved the tree"
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

There were parallels between A Midsummer Night's Dream and Breaking Dawn? :? Um...
I suppose that one could argue that Jacob's imprinting deal mirrors the fairy love potion in MND. On the other hand, a large chunk of the MND plot revolves around Puck's mix-up with Lysander and Demitrius; there is no mix-up in BD. I mean, I *thought* Meyer was setting up Jacob x Leah, and then it ended up Jacob x Renesmee, but that's not anything like what happened in MND.
I'm guessing the logic goes something as follows:
Lysander x Hermia = Edward x Bella
Demitrius x Hermia = Jacob x Bella (and unrequited, obviously)
Fairy potion = shapeshifter imprinting thing
Ok. I'm down with that. It makes sense. The issue I have with the comparison is Renesmee, who I'm guessing is Helena? The problem with that parallel (if indeed that is how the logic goes) is that Helena was in love with Demitrius from the start, whereas Renesmee is just a baby, and Jacob fell for her first, and then she reciprocated, rather than the other way around.
On a much more general level, I can kind of see the parallels, though I never would have made the connection if I hadn't seen it here. There is the whole theme of sudden, dramatic changes in perception (the fairy love potion, and imprinting) which lead to a happy ending.
However, the dramatic changes in perception pretty much are the plot in MND, whereas they play a very backseat (and much less complex) role in BD. If Jacob's sudden, dramatic switch from Bella to Renesmee was the main plot of BD, I could go along with this MND is similar to BD! thing. However, the main plot is comprised of Renesmee's birth and then the lead up to the battle that wasn't a battle with the Volturi. Jacob's imprinting seemed like an afterthought to ensure a happy ending, to me anyway.
So, bottom line; I can't really see how MND inspired BD. I can see how MND might have provided inspiration for a happy ending for Jacob, but not how it could have provided inspiration for the entire book.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

^^I'm pretty sure that the imprinting is the only thing that SM was inspired by MSND. BD wasn't meant to be a complete parallel to MSND, just a few things here and there, just like all of the books that inspired the twilight saga.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com