A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
allieb
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by allieb »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

As soon as Edward left her side when Carlisle was stiching her up to talk to Jasper, I knew something was up... I started reading really slow because I didn't want anything to happen! ahhh i was a mess.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

HECK YESS!!!! What girl hasn't???? like last night i had a dream about this guy who i liked, and are friends with but now i feel like we dont talk as much. I had a dream that we were together and happy and stuff. Does that count??? hahaha

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

It was so confusing. I was all like he's just doing what's best for Bella at first because thats what he always does so it was like no surprise, but then he was so cold and definite with no shaking or anything and i thought it was true. But i managed to convincce myself that there were more books coming so it couldn't be permanent.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I was annoyed at first because I wanted Edward to come back. And then I wasn't exactly sure about his ties to the story, and i was utterly confused.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

OUCH. BUT that gave it more impact. and that enhanced the importance the relationship had played for Bella in Twilight i loved it

THE WRITING IN THIS CHAPTER SEEMED TO BE THE STRONGEST AND BEST WRITTEN PART OF THE WHOLE BOOK!! just an opinion.....
E<3B .::. APPC-Team Alice .::. Sheila Delucci- Mafia .::. RANDIE REGULAR SINCE #11
He's just going to get ruined by women. .::. Where's Efron?.::. QUADRUPLETS: Syd Nar & Cocoa
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I knew something was coming after the whole Jasper incident. It was still harsh reading through that--I really felt for Bella.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Yes, unfortunately, when I was much younger and slavishly loyal to people who didn't deserve the loyalty.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I knew he wouldn't come back--he was set on saving Bella from himself--but I could totally understand how she believed it--she still didn't believe he could love her as much as she loved him--she didn't see her worth to him.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
It kind of scared me, but I thought he was one of Charlie's friends.

Perfect--you knew what her existence was like: time passing by like blank page after blank page.
Last edited by 4everklutzy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA »

I felf a sense of foreboding.Definately.I knew that after Jasper at the party something was sure to change but i did not think of a change that big.

No.I have never really felt that way to be honest.
Sorry for the short answer.

To be honest.I was in tears by the end.The thing that hit me hard was when Edward said "I don't want you Bella."
I was crying and sobbing.I ended up being really angry with Edward myself and really feeling like Bella.Edward's absence was very sad and i thought of giving up on the book at one point.

I was mortified!Straight away i felt like i didn't like him kind of a 6th sense in a way.And i never grew to like Sam.Another thing that made my hatred for Sam boil was in Breaking Dawn when he was set off to kill Bella.

Each piece of Edward leaving me.And i stared at each page for minutes at a time.
I.WANT.TO.BE.ALICE is my Twi-Twin!
Rain.........Depressing. :D
Avatar and Signature made by me.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ i knew something was up.

~nope.

~i believed him. he wouldnt lie about that. i was crying through it all.

~ "who's that?' hahaha

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
~ i was devastated. i cried through the whole thing.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

It totally took me by surprise. I never dreamed anything like that would happen.

Yes...

I didn't believe him for one second. I can't believe Bella bought it. She should have known. I also didn't expect him to stay away for so long.

I had no idea who he was.

Well I was crying through them so I guess I was sad...
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

I knew something bad was coming. I knew it the moment there was still something with wrong with Edward the following day. I didn't know exactly what but I just was sitting there going oh, oh this is so so bad. So, when Edward broke up with her my heart sank as my suspicions of the bad being confirmed. Not to mention I of course cried.

Yes, it's called my ex-boyfriend. Not now of course (me has a different boyfriend now :D ). I was deeply in love with him.

I don't think I really believed that he didn't love her anymore. I spent the whole chapters he was gone waiting for him to come back. I was sitting there going he has to come back he just has to. As I kept reading I kept waiting and at one point I thought he had because she thought his name. I think it was in the meadow but I don't remember. I was so disappointed that he wasn't. Well, I guess I didn't believe him as readily as Bella did because I somehow knew that they were meant to be. I know it sounds cheesy/corny but whatever it's the truth.

Well, I am not sure I had much of one. I was like okay so there's this guy helping to find her. I didn't think much about his question to Bella or anything. I was most focused on Bella and her pain.

I was confused at first as to why there were just months but it didn't take me too long to figure it. I was like oh, duh. Four months of zombie Bella :cry: . Poor girl.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
runningali
Settled in Forks

Post by runningali »

Yes, you could tell by him pulling away, the distance in his eyes. Bella knew that something was off, and we know that Edward has such a strong sense of right vs. wrong that he would take Jasper's reaction to Bella's papercut to the wrong extreme. You could feel her panic in the text as she tried to grasp onto him.

Yes, who hasn't???

I felt that I knew what he was doing, trying to force her to let him go, but it was just as hard for him. Reading this was gut wrenching. I actually felt sick thinking of how hard this was for Bella to go through, how incredibly painful. Their relationship is more than a high school crush - it was true love.

Foreboding.

It was perfect. It conveyed her pain, her inability to re-engage in life, her detachment from life as a result of him leaving. It was so hard to read.
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

> It didn't take me by surprise, I saw it coming with the way he was acting. (Even if I expected it, it didn't alleviate an ounce of pain).

> Yes.

> I knew it was inevitable. I didn't expect him to come back at any moment, but I wanted him to (desperately). No, I didn't really believe that he didn't want Bella, but I knew he already decided to leave.

> I was still hurt and dazed.

> Hurt and devastated.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
Dark Rose
Settled in Forks

Post by Dark Rose »

It took me a little bit to figure out what was going on. Edward's cold and distant behaviour eluded to something but at first I wasn't sure what but when he took her for the short walk and didn't reach the forest before talking, I thought the worse. Despite having an idea of where it was going I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness (read this book on public transit on my way to work and started crying). I didn't want to believe he was actually going to leave her.

Most certainly! That gut feeling that something isn't right is hard to ignore!

His communication caused me confusion because he seemed to care for her so much, I mean he adores her, how could he leave her like that!!!!

When Bella described what she was hearing just before Sam showed up I half expected it to be some sort of animal but when he arrived it made no sense to me as this was the first mention of him. He made me suspicious.

At first I thought ok, this is supposed to help me get an understanding for the passing of time but after the second page and it was still going I thought to myself 'what the hell is going on?' and 'this can't be good'. I didn't want to believe that so much time could pass without Edward's presence, I kinda hoped he would be back for Bella once I came to the end of the months pages...
mama mia
Settled in Forks

Post by mama mia »

SM was really able to create such an anxious mood. You could feel it in the air - something bad was going to happen. While reading the parts after the birthday party, when Edward was starting to act strange and cold towards Bella, I remember thinking 'come on Bella, just talk to him! Find out what's bothering him before it's too late!' I had no idea though that it would come to Edward leaving! That was just too big to absorb at the beginning, I wasnt able to accept that right away.

Yes! A long time ago, it was devastating at the time. So I could really relate to Bella. Though it must have been more gut wrenching for her, thank God I never reached the Zombie phase! I got over it though and I am very happy right now, so that chapter in my life is over and done with! On a side note, that's why I can relate to the possibility of Jacob and Bella ending up together. With time, it is possible to get over a true love.

I must have read it too fast the first time around, because I never realized that he was trying to convince her that he did not love her anymore. I simply assumed that he was doing this because it was for Bellas good. I can't believe that Bella believed him. I didn't realize that she was that insecure about Edwards love for her. I mean wasn't it obvious to her what his real motives were? After the whole James incident, and what Edward did for her, wasn't it obvious that he loved her and that he would do anything for her betterment and safety? Was she that dense?!? In the same respect I was also thinking, Come on Edward, are you that dense to think that Bella will be better off without you? Don't you realize what that would do to her? He is supposed to be smart! Didn't he realize the devastation it would cause her!! I was very frustrated with them both!?!!

I knew that something was up with Sam. He was mentioned for a reason, and I was intrigued to find out how it would play out in the story.

It was such a clever way to depict not only the time passing by, but the emptiness of Bellas state. Just like the blank pages, Bella was also empty, blank and lifeless. I felt the pain as soon as i turned from October to November, and I couldnt believe that it went all the way to January!! I thought that Edward must come back now, but he didn't until much much later!! I remember thinking that this is not possible! SM really put a twist in the whole storyline, and it was just pure genius!