Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mind_over_matter286
Wandering Through Town

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by mind_over_matter286 »

x. Jessica-Louise .x wrote:
-Jasper wrote:
I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA wrote:Is The Host worth reading?
Definitely. The style of writing is quite different from twilight, but I think it would still appeal to twilight-lovers.
The storyline is in some ways similar to twilight, there's a sort of love triangle, and some of the characters are similar to twilight. It's very well written, even though it's long, I think it's worth reading.

I second that, it's a must read! Although I found it hard to get in to at first.

The Host is a must read book, it is kind of complicated at first, but once you get past about the 4th or 5th chapter it gets to where you have to know the ending. It's like Twilight but then it's not. Jacob is like Jared except Wanda/Mel knows they love him. Edward is like Ian, (because he's perfect,jk :lol: ) Ian does'nt like Wanda at first, then he gets to know her and falls in love with her. The only difference is that Edward and Bella stay together to the end(except that tiny mistake in NM) and then Jacob comes.But then it's flip flopped,Edward is like Jared because he loves Mel,but with no Wanda. Jacob is like Ian because he comes second to Wanda but ends up with someone in the end.Then,of course, Bella is like Mel/Wanda because they love two people and don't want to hurt either of them, and the inner turmoil. Bella wants to become aa vampire but is secretly afraid and Edward won't let her until BD. Wanda wants to let Mel free but also wants to stay and love Ian(she only loves Jared because Mel does). And Wanda can't stay because she wants to save lives instead of take them away.
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

i think the host is written better but is more popular because of SM's success with the twilight saga and if she had published the host first it would not have been as popular and neither would twilight because the people who did find and enjoy the host would not be epecting something so different wheras after finishing the twilight saga people wernt finished with stephenie yet but as she had closed bella chapter then were open to alternatives.

they are both so different i cant compair them fairly!

as i said before i think the host is better written, but does that mean i prefer it?
also the host is a more unique story wheras twilight does verge on romeo and juliet on more than one occasion, BUT i still love it and...
i am more obbsessed with twilight but equally enjoyed the host and though more of he plot

i give up i can't choose.
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I think The Host is hard to get into the first time round, for the first 3 or 4 chapters, but then you just keep reading and have to finish it.
love_is_noise wrote:i think the host is written better but is more popular because of SM's success with the twilight saga
I agree, it wouldn't have been popular if Stephenie Meyer hadn't also written the twilight series. It's good that it is known about, because it's worthwhile reading.
Last edited by -Jasper on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
Simply.Wonderful.
Settled in Forks

Post by Simply.Wonderful. »

I liked The Host better.
Unlike a lot of other people, Twilight was really hard for me to get into. It took me three tries just to get past the first couple of chapters. Twilight is an amazing book, and I love it, but it's not as realistic as The Host is. And Twilight kind of dragged on after the first book, the other three don't really catch my attention as much as the first. Plus, Bella really annoys me. I actually got into The Host pretty quickly. The story is more realistic, more mature, and easier to relate to than Twilight is. And it honestly got my heart pounding at the suspensful parts, which Twilight did not.
I love both stories, but I liked The Host the best. :]
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I also find twilight a bit hard to get through at first. I felt that twilight dragged, I suppose because the rest of the books are so action-packed, and twilight is just the story of Bella and Edward's love.
The Host is a bit easier to get into, and it has action in. I think it's easy to believe as well, but for me, twilight was easy to believe too.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by revrag »

Hands down, I prefer the Twilight series. There's just something to be said for Edward Cullen...I mean..whoa.

But...I just finished reading the Host for the first time today. I have to say that it was a book that, like many have said here already, was hard to get into...at first. Once you got to about chapter 4..it started to take off. I read until 4am this morning...got 3 hours of sleep and then woke up and finished it. It was absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

My best friend's son actually lent me the Host, because I lent him all of my Twilight books. He prefers Twilight as well. He made an interesting comment to me today when I called to talk to him about the Host...he compared Wanda to Bella, as far as their selflessness. I disagree on this, wholeheartedly. It seems to me that Wanda is unable to do anything but take the higher road, in all things, whereas Bella feels compelled in some things to choose above herself, but still makes choices to ultimately benefit herself only. Neither character, in my opinion, because of this is lesser, but rather each unique in their own special way...and that makes each more endearing.

I do, however, really love the Host. I can totally see a movie being made of this one as well. Stephanie Meyer is just brilliant. Totally and completely brilliant. I will definitely be looking for more of her work in the future when available, and definitely over that pesky Stephen King character...what a joke.
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

So I originally thought that i wouldn't like the Host as much as twilight but after reading it (I just finished last week but this is the first ive been able to post bc Im in kentucky and we had CRAZY ice storms last week) I have to say i might like the Host better....its more...mature I guess, i dunno. and I noticed a lot of people had trouble getting into it but i disagree, i had that problem with twilight. I just couldn't get into twilight until edward showed up but i was instantly addicted to the host. I didnt put it down until i was done, which sucked bc my power went out bc of the ice storms and i had to finish the book by candlelight (which made me feel like i was in the caves w/ no power and no water lol)
livelove&twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by livelove&twilight »

I definitely would have to say Twilight its more relatable minus the vampires and werewolves but the Host was an amazing book especially the end! :)
peace.love & twilight
lovin them cullen boys :D

*Lamb*I*Am*
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by *Lamb*I*Am* »

I still prefer the Twilight Saga :)

But I did really enjoy The Host aswell. I found it extremely hard to get into at the start...I was literally that bored with it, that I was reading 1 page at a time in between ads on some crappy show on TV.
But then I got a few chapters in & I was totally engrossed in it. I finished it in less than 2 days....wish I could learn to read slower, because yet again...I'm now bookless :(
Thinking back, my take on the slow pace of the beginning was more of a parallel, to how life was for Wanderer, before she found her place with the humans. But that was just my opinion :)

I found similarities in SM's writing style & also the characters. It was interesting to see.

Just a Question....Did anyone else notice some of the phrases and such in The Host, that were the same as in the Twilight Saga?
In the host, at one point Wanda was running or something (sorry just from memory) & she got scared & her knees (or could have been legs) locked up, "like a startled colt's".
Now, I'd read that same term used in Twilight in reference to Bella.
But I think it's to be expected from the same writer, that she'd have preferences when it comes to phrasing things a certain way.....

Anywho...I was VERY glad that I persevered with The Host! Now....I REALLY hope SM does a sequel!
I'd LOVE to know more...what else happens....Everything was changing & I want to know how it ended! LOL

I really like SM's writing style. She really knows how to spin a good story & really draw you in!
I also liked that The Host was a more "mature" read, but then again...Considering the "climate" of the story, it needed to be mature. Whereas Twilight really had that Innocent feel to it.
Anyway, I like both....But still a Twi-fan first & foremost :)
Alice Lover
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice Lover »

So,I just finished reading it yesterday and I'll have to admit that I liked The Host way better than Twilight.

That is when it comes to the plot,character detail and depth,writing style,and the fact that there's more action and less drama when it comes to the love story.

Like I said that's just my opinion.

If some sequels are to be released soon,I hope they are even better and more exciting.

"Alice Will Be Alice" - Edward Cullen.
"Money,Sex,Money,Sex,Cat" - Edward Cullen,Twilight Movie
"Lovely Yellow Porsche Owner" - Alice Lover