Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by spookybell »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella? Well, I think it is Bella just being Bella, but the Author has the control over Bella's dreams... so....

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance? Rosalie always wanted this for herself... as a human. She still has feelings and memories and well, Bella's becoming a part of the family weather ot not Rosalie like or does not like it.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself? Alice wanted to do everything herself.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing? I think she always knew it was as a young girl, possibly making her mothers mistakes she is pettrified, but looking at Edward reminds her that he is her everything.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
Well she does tend to dream about things that she was told before. Like after Jacob told her the stories, that night she dreamed abut it. So that could have just been Bella being Bella. But then it is really a coincident that she dream again abut them for a different reason. So it still could have been about something that was going to happen. But Bella isn't Alice so I really wouldn't know.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
Maybe she was finally getting the idea that Bella loved Edward and was committed to him and the family. But with Rosalie there is no telling.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
Well I think that Renee would have said something if she knew what The Cullens were. So I think she was just thinking Alice wanted to do things herself.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
I'm trying to remember my reaction when I read the book the first time. I didn't play that much attention on the upcoming. I knew that dream will come true (as always) but -I don't know- with another one's child or something. Rosalie came to my mind when I read it.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
Bella was making Rosalie's brother happy, happier than ever, plus she screw up everything in new moon remember?? She has to give Bella some credit.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
2nd option. I can picture Alice doing everything before Renne bring them out.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
The freak out reaction from her parents didn't came, her friends were there at her wedding without judging her, everything she was afraid of came to be a silly thing. It looked like the whole world participated in the events that tooke Bella to the aisle.
It's too green. An alien planet!
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

Perhaps she is subconsciously realizing the things that she is giving up by becoming immortal.

Good question - I'll probably go reread this chapter to think about it some more. But maybe because she did respect Bella's choice to have a beautiful wedding to a kind, loving man - Rosalie had wanted the same. Maybe Rosalie realized that Bella was making some choices that were less hasty than Rosalie's own - Rosalie ended up making hers too quickly and not choosing right. I think she realized that Bella had thought this through, and what they had in common was that they were sure of what they wanted, even if it was different. Rosalie had already said her piece to her - if Bella's hopes for the future weren't exactly the same as Rosalie's, she can't go on blaming her for that. Rosalie knows that before anything, Bella loves Edward and he loves her - and anyone can see the beauty in that.

I think she was aware that Alice was acting on behalf of Bella. I also kind of thought that with how observant and accepting Renee is, that she might have actually guessed that the Cullens were vampires. I think she may have half-believed it in her mind, but not really given much worry to it - but I do think that the choice of the word "throats" was interesting. Most people would have said, "she all but ripped our heads off." The fact that Renee said throats just made me think that maybe she'd realized more than anyone meant for her to - whether consciously or subconsciously.

I think she has finally let go of all of the petty reasons why she didn't want to marry him to begin with. She finally stopped thinking so much about it, and just allowed herself to feel the whole point of marriage.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

She knows shes going to be changed sometime after the wedding... so I guess its normal to be worrying about everything, but I dunno really.

She never got a wedding, so maybe she wanted Bella to have a good one, without conflict between her and Bella.

I think she was just commenting on how Alice wanted to be incharge of everything.

Because her worries about it didn't come to much. Charlie and Renee were fine with it, and I guess her friends were too. She was finally there and it was happening hassle-free, so it cleared her mind and she could finally concentrate and realise that this is what she really wants.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
no more ashes
Settled in Forks

Post by no more ashes »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

i think theres a sighnificance, while my bff thinks otherwise(me and her get into....discusions about that). :lol:

ive givin alot of thought into that, what ive come up with is that rose is trying to give bella the wedding that she never had,mabe even make up for the stuff shes done. (and trust me theres alot to be forgivin!)

i think that she thought that Alice was just trying to do everything herself. but im not that good on that particularly.

i have no idea, but heres my guess. she probaly relized that she and Edward were meant to be 2gether 4ever.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think it was Bella getting stressed out. She was thinking about the story about Tanya's mother and the immortal children, and that scared her. She was alone in her bed, and that probably made it even worse. And she was nervous about the following day, and her future. She is worried for the people she is leaving behind, and worried about her new life.

I think that Rosalie realized that Bella's decision was final, and that Bella really had thought this true and that she was 100 % sure about becoming a vampire. So I think Rosalie really made an effort to make Bella feel welcome in the family, and make sure that she had a wonderful wedding. I also think that Rosalie wanted Bella to have what she didn't have; getting married to the man that she loved.

Renee is not that perceptive that she would have noticed anything strange about Alice. I'm sure she was just commenting on the fact that Alice wants to be in total control of everything herself, to make sure it is done right. And Renee has no idea how close she is to the truth when she is talking about ripping out people's throats. Renee does not have a clue about what the Cullen's are.

I think that when she saw him standing there and she looked in to his eyes, she realized that he was the only one that mattered to her. Not her worries about other people, only Edward. And Edward was so happy. And it made her realize that she was happy too. What she saw in his eyes confirmed what I think she knew all along; that marrying Edward was what she wanted.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
that~stupid~lamb
Wandering Through Town
Location: Isme Esme with the feathers & the broken headboard & some eggs

Post by that~stupid~lamb »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

well to be honest i had always thought about it as a sign... because in one of her dreams it was a HUMAN child then in the other the child was IMMORTAL... but it could have been Bella being Bella but, im not convinced of it.
i kindda thought that Rose was trying to make her own kind of peace with Bella and trying to let her know that it wasn't the fact that she didn't want Bella as a sister it was just she didn't approve of Bella's decision...
I had never thought about it but yeah, she could be.... hmmm.. interesting thought... in fact I really wouldn't doubt it!?... i'm going to have to sleep on that one!.!.

I have several reasons for this:
a.)
Hello!!! Because it's frigging EDWARD!!!! If you saw the most frigging sexxy vampire in the whole frigging world you would be all like I'm winning too!!!

b.)
because she finally relized that she got to spend forever being his and him being hers

c.)
being in love with a vampire changes your veiw on EVERYTHING

d.)
because something as binding as marriage should be rejoiced and she was glad to see that she finally had her other half the piece that she didn't realize was missing untill it was there.... that one thing she never wanted to lose after finding...
My face went hot. Ian was silent.
"Jealous, O'Shea?"
"Actually... I am. Suprisingly so." Ian's voice was strained.

Team Ian O'Shea- the sweet guy :)
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Haha, I think it's Bella being Bella. She wanted to think about anything except the next day, so she focused on something so dark it gave her nightmares! I don't think it was a coincidence on Stephenie's part to make the dream the night before the wedding, though.

I have two separate and contraditory thoughts about this. My first thought is that it was Rosalie's innate need to put on a good show; she wanted Bella to be a beautiful bride to make her family look better (I know, what a shameful thought!!). My second, stronger thought is that she's doing it for Edward. She does care about her brother and knows how important Bella & the marriage are to him.

Honestly, I never thought Renée meant more by that comment than to say Alice is a bit of a control freak.

This question is really easy but really hard at the same time. I think Bella realized just what marriage actually meant to her and to Edward. I'm not sure I can put that meaning into words; I just know she came to realize it was more than just an old-fashioned tradition.

Image Image Image
sunnyshine
Settled in Forks

Post by sunnyshine »

I thought of it as a sign...but also that she was stressed and she always had strange nightmares anyways :lol:

I think she finally accepted that this was what Bella wanted. She told Bella how she felt and got it off her chest and I think deep down she understood how Bella felt about Edward and accepted her as part of the family in her own way.

I think she was remarking about how Alice wanted to do everything herself :lol:

I think she realized that all her petty worries and reasons for not doing it were suddenly very unimportant. I think she finally realized that she was getting exactly what she wanted.