General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Renaming the Characters

Post by debussygirl »

I don't pronounce Renesmee the right way then, I think. I pronounce it Ren-nes-may. Dang, now I'm going to have to go back and retrain my brain!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

That's what I had to do with Aro, I pronounced it Are-row, but apparently it's like arrow. :?
List, Gnat ♥
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

Jasper<3 wrote:That's what I had to do with Aro, I pronounced it Are-row, but apparently it's like arrow.
I thought it was Arrr-oh, that's the Maori way of saying it, like Aro Valley...

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Someone suggested Clarissa for Alice, which I like because it's uncommon and whimsical -- but at the same time I can't help thinking of Clarissa Explains it All. Anyone else old school like me?

I had a VERY hard time with the name Renesmee when I first heard it. All I could think was really? You couldn't just use a real name? It seems to be stuck to her in my mind -- though I only ever think of or type to her as Nessie because her full name is kind of a PITA.

I love love LOVE the name Esme. I love soft, old-fashioned names. And it seems so motherly! The only other name I can think of for Esme would be Linda (not very exciting, I know) but only because I knew tons of mothers named Linda when I was growing up.

Carlisle... another freaking great name. Something regal maybe-- Richard? Bleh. Maybe not.

Rosalie's name is showy, just like her.

I refuse to even think about another name for Edward. Not "Ed" or "Eddie." As SM said, SO MANY of the best romantic heroes are Edward.

Now I need to go read some Austen. SIGH!

EDIT:
addictedbooklover wrote:
Jasper<3 wrote:That's what I had to do with Aro, I pronounced it Are-row, but apparently it's like arrow.
When I listened to the audiobooks it was pronounced Arr (like a pirate) - oh (like oh my!). Is that what you meant by Are-row? I don't know if that means it's correct, but it does mean that's how I hear it in my head. :)

Image Image Image
mishakathryn
Settled in Forks

Post by mishakathryn »

I totally can't picture any of the Cullens with different names-- they all seem to fit their character so well.

Well, except for Renesmee :lol: Like many others have mentioned, her name just doesn't grow you that easily. The concept is cute I guess but it sounds too strange to me. I remember Stephenie Meyer saying that she couldn't just pick out a regular name from a baby book or something, because Renesmee is such a unique child.. but I think there must be something more original and way cooler/prettier than 'Renesmee'.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Great post, akire! I pretty much agree with everything you said.

You'll find strange, but, before Twilight, I had never head the name Esme before. And I read English Literature for a while. I just learned how it was pronounced on the old Pronounciation key thread. It's odd, but Esme's name fits her. I like the idea of renaming her as Claire or Eleanor.

For me Edward will always be Edward. I always loved this name. I think it sounds so pretty in English. If we could stick with Austen's names... I like Henry.

Bella - I love the name Isabella. It's like Edward. It had become an institution in my head. Bella and Edward. Period.
i2foundu
Wandering Through Town

Post by i2foundu »

Cullen_Lover wrote:I agree Renesmee is such a cute name! Love that way it sounds, one question though. Would Renesmee have an accent on the last e like Esmè? Cause I`m sure most people know that Esmè like Renè is pronounced Es-may so bacause Bella made her daughters name a mix of the two which both have accents on the last letter would Renesmee be pronounced Ren-ez-mee or Ren-ez-may???
I have to agree I was missing the accent on the last e. If the accent is going to be left out I just wish that it would have been spelled Renesmae.

What I think is funny is for most of us Renesmee is the name most likely to be changed in some way, but I would not be surprised in the next generation if it becomes a common name. Us twilight fans seem a little finatical like that...
mishakathryn
Settled in Forks

Post by mishakathryn »

Lunna-san wrote:You'll find strange, but, before Twilight, I had never head the name Esme before. And I read English Literature for a while. I just learned how it was pronounced on the old Pronounciation key thread. It's odd, but Esme's name fits her. I like the idea of renaming her as Claire or Eleanor.
I'd never heard it before either! I really like the name Esme.. and I think it suits the character really well too. It's really pretty and elegant yet soft and simple.
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

akire wrote:
addictedbooklover wrote:
When I listened to the audiobooks it was pronounced Arr (like a pirate) - oh (like oh my!). Is that what you meant by Are-row? I don't know if that means it's correct, but it does mean that's how I hear it in my head. :)
No, Are as in "Are you here" and Row as in "Row a boat. Are-row.
List, Gnat ♥
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

Jasper<3 wrote: akire wrote:

addictedbooklover wrote:

No, Are as in "Are you here" and Row as in "Row a boat. Are-row.
That's right!!!

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D