A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sparker
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by sparker »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
Yes, Yes and Yes. Reminded me of highschool, in my parking lot, and a reluctant boyfriend! Big surprise becasue my immediate thoughts were that Laurent and Victoria were still out there.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Yes, and lost my grip..

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
No I didn't believe him but I thought he knew something she didn't and he couldn't tell her.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
The sniff of an animal, and then Sam Uley. He was a werewolf when he found her first.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
Like I was flipping through my own journal from HS.
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

1. After the birthday incident and how he was reacting, I knew he would take things to the extreme to protect her now!!! I was expecting something major, but who knew this would happen!!! It was heartbreaking for me the reader...think of Bella!

2. Not sure how to answer this one!

3. It was way harsh!! It was hurtful. I didn't completely believe him. I knew his feelings and I knew he was thinking of what happened at his house. That she was in danger from his own family. He thought she would be safer without him in her life. He underestimated her love for him. Her NEED to be with him. He overestimated the fact that she is human and will forget soon. I didn't think he could just stop loving her as fiercely as he had or that he could not want to be with her. I thought he would come back, not right away, I was hoping he was watching her and would see what his being gone was doing to her. That he would see the error of his ways and know she can't live without him.

4. True be told I don't remember what I thought. I don't know if the first time I read it I was just speed reading trying to find out what was happening and missed it explaining a little what he looked like or what. But I was thinking he was an older guy. That is what I saw in my head until he came back later in the book. I didn't think much about why he was there. I figured Charlie was the sheriff, Bella his daughter, it made sense a lot of people would be looking for her. It made sense Charlie would tell Billy, who would send people to help. I didn't think about Billy sending werewolves to find a girl last seen with a vampire!

5. It was horrible!! The first page I was like WHAT!? Then I flipped the page and I felt the emptiness.
Paprika wrote:
As though the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. To not be able to describe time passing except by single words on an otherwise blank page, how much mental agony must that girl have been going through? Enough that I know it's a feeling I hope to never have to replicate.

I couldn't say it better!!!
ImageImage
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I had a bad feeling since the previous chapter! I think the kiss in the previous chapter really cemented the feeling for me, so what happened in the end of the chapter didn't really surprise me. It still hurt, of course, but it wasn't a surprise.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I have. It's hard to let something go that means the world to you.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
It was definitely harsh. It felt very real and I had a sick feeling in my stomach as he was saying that he was leaving her. I wasn't expecting him to come back to her, at least not right away, not in that scene. I really didn't believe him in what he was saying because I've read enough books to know that when things like that are said (in a book, at any rate!) they aren't meant but to protect the ones you love...

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didn't have any reaction to him at this point.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages[/quote]
Ugh! What a long time! and shame on Edward!
kristakamikaze
Settled in Forks

Post by kristakamikaze »

Something just didn't seem right.

Many times

I was expecting him to come back, I knew in my heart that there was no way he could live without her.

He scared me! lol

At first I didn't understand them, then I looked back and realized that either the time flew by, or there was just nothing she remembered about those months.
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

I knew it was coming. Just the way Edward was acting, and the "last" kiss were big indicators for me. It didn't make it any less shocking, though.

I've never really been in a relationship, so I've never really had that desire before.

Being in the reader's POV, it was kind of obvious (to me) that Edward was lying when he said he didn't love Bella anymore. It hurt so much, though, when Edward left. I honestly felt like there was no reason to continue reading the book.

I didn't really have that much of a reaction to Sam's appearance. I knew he was just one of the people who were searching for Bella.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.

I felt so hollow. It was painful flipping the pages, and knowing that Edward didn't come back.
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

of course i did, it was named 'the end.' and the way edward was acting the whole time kinda helped it out.

more than anything. that's why i relate to bella a whole lot in this book the most. i understand how she's feeling.

i didnt believe him at all because there was no way edward couldn't love bella. but i was so upset for bella. that must have been incredibly painful to go through. but it prolly was equally as painful for edward.

i didnt have much of a reaction, but he did creep me out.

that was horrible, it showed how empty bella felt without edward. i really wanted to stop reading for a moment. i was like 'what's the point without edward?' so i felt just like bella did i guess.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I think I did feel forboding.. the title of the chapter was a clue... but ignored it. I was totally slapped in the face with the reality and horrible heartbreak. As I just finished this chapter for the second thime... it is equally heartwrenching as the first time. Maybe even worse. I'm in shock again.

Sure, but not as intensly.

I don't know. Want and reality are so conflicting. It still does not grasp me like it did Bella. I wanted Edward to come back... but I also realize I am on chaper 3. That speaks volumes.

Well, I thought he was on the police force. I thought he was a cop.He creeped me out too and I didn't like him

MY EXACT THOUGHTS
October.... "Oh Poor Bella, my heart breaks for you."
November... "I don't blame you... I want to give you a hug Bella. Why isn't Edward coming back?"
December... "Really???? Bad Edward you have Broken Bella. What is wrong with you? Come Back!!!!!"
January... "How long is this going to go on? Edward... I am officially very mad at you. You are torturing Bella and me... you are a bad, bad, bad boy. Is there going to be a February??????"
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
MajorKlutz
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MajorKlutz »

When Edward started acting really stiff after they left his house i knew something bad was going to happen but I didn't expect him to just leave and convince the rest of his family to leave. Besides Edward, Alice probably had the most trouble leaving but she was probably leaving with Jasper.

Only One.

I thought that he was going to propose to her at first but I guess that it was just my mind playing tricks on me but it really shocked me and I was crying the first time I read through New Moon that I had to read it twice because my eyes were all watered up the whole time.

I didn't think to much of him at the time but I expected to see him alot more throughout New Moon and Eclipse.

I just cried. :'(
I love my men cold, dead, and sparkling!!!! (*sparkle, sparkle*)
Jenn
Settled in Forks

Post by Jenn »

I think since the beginning of the chapter I knew something was wrong... Edward was weird...
But when he said "We're leaving" was like :shock:

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?Yes, of course... Maybe not that much, but yes...

No... It's complicated... I believed him, but at the same time, I was expecting that he say something like "I'm sorry, I don't want to go but I have to". He was really hard with her. But she believed him so quickly... When he said he didn't loved her anymore I didn't believed him, and she did...

I never like Sam. So I just think "What the hell is he doing there?? Why?? Edward should be the one who rescue Bella!" But I think Sam had good intentions with her...

I can't... Because I was completely desperate... Those pages just broke my heart...
And I cried... Honestly...
After all, how many ways can one heart be
mangled and still be expected to keep beating?

darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

it took me by surprise =P

.....let's not go there

i was expecting him to run back

i thought something horrible had happened...worse

don't recall my reactions..and my book isnt with me right now
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett