Chapter 18 ~ The Funeral

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Funeral

Post by sarah! »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
~nope, im glad i havent been in that situation.
2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
~ let it pass. it worked out fine.
3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
~not been in that situation
4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
~yesyes yes. i couldnt put it down!!! i was so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
~i understood his feelings a little more now.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides? I've never been in that situation, but I understand where she is coming from.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action? I let things pass because it can save you from heartbreak or whatever the decision is.

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own. Some of my friends and I got swept into a lake and I didn't get out until they were out.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down? I was so scared, so I read from here to the end without stopping.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading? I think that he tries too hard. My feelings haven't changed.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
Yes, not really a hate as much as a big dislike. I didn't really feel pressure to take sides, but don't really listen if they talk about each other and they know that.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
Yes, I kind of did. Same w/ Bella's situation...that first kiss. That really changes things sometimes. It's almost irreversible. Seems like someone always wants more and it leaves 1 person hurt regardless.

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
Haven't really quite put my own life on the line, but I'm a nurse. I see ppl pass out, have heart attacks, and multipe other traumas...so I'm saving their lives in a sense.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
Yes, I panicked and I def. want to feel this and have this scene in the movies. Yes, pretty much except when I had to go to work and sleep. Def. had some almost sleepless nights.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
I can't beleive he hung up on what was 'Dr. Carlisle' aka Edward. I would be freakin ticked off!!!!! :evil: I def. had a strong dislike at that point, but I did kinda like him when he said he would protect Charlie.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

OMG, YES, I have had this problem lol. That is the story of my life, being caught in the middle. Bella will eventually become "Switzerland" and that is 100% where I am in those situations.

Well in the situation where I did not let it pass, he ended up breaking up with me in the end and it wasn't pretty. I don't regret all of that relationship, but there are moments I would like to take back or redo. However, this other guy, we have been friends for years and I only know that other people have told me there is more than friendship to our relationship. I suppose there have been opportunities to take things to another level, but I have let them pass. I completely regret letting those moments pass.

I don't really think I've ever been in a situation that required overlooking my safety for someone else.

I was worried about Edward because I knew he didn't leave because he was over her and he would kill himself if Bella died. If I remember correctly I did finish the book from this point lol, or at least until the part where things calm down again.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they changed with time to reflect back and additional reading?
I really, honestly, felt bad for Jacob. He really loves Bella and he wants her to pick him, yet he knows how she feels about Edward. I'm reading this book for the second time and I have to say I feel bad for him now more than I did the first time. I was so crazed over Bella getting to Edward that I was more mad that Jacob was giving Bella such a hard time and getting in her way. But this time, I'm taking my time with the book and trying to absorb everything which makes me see the pain Jake is really in.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides? Nope I've been lucky all of my friends have gotten along well.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action? I tried a couple times by asking the guy friend I liked to dances but it never went further than that. :cry:

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own. I can't think of anytime I'ved had to do that.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down? I did read all the way through till the end (I got lucky the 1st time I read NM I was home sick in bed w/the flu so I had nothing but time!)

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading? I liked him okay up until Eclipse when he really got on my nerves and made me so mad! So in NM I liked him because he was a good friend for Bella. He still gets on my nerves & bugs me, but now the saga is over and I know the happy ending they have I can try to not let his Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde personality get to me as often or bad.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
lance99
Settled in Forks

Post by lance99 »

No actually.

My friendship turned into a BF/GF situation
when my brother tried to injure my mom.

Not there yet.
Still like him. He's a good friend to Bella.
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

I've had friends who don't like each other, I don't always like some of my friends' friends. But it's never been this strong, and I usually want to just keep them both and make them at least act polite and work it out.
..Uhm...I've never really been in this situation. I've never dated anyone. I like a person who's my friend now, I guess, but I'm kind of over it. And I'm in 8th grade, it's not like it can really destroy my life that much..
Hmm.....??? I've never really had to save anyone, but I suppose there are little times when all you think is that they should be safe, and you don't care about yourself.
Too long ago, I forget. I wasn't really worried. I've never really been scared that they would die. Plus when I read them Eclipse was already out..I'm sure I was still reading fast because I wanted Edward back, and I was happy that he would be.
I never really liked him, he got in the way of Edward and Bella. He just bugged me as a character for liking her so much, I didn't like him at all until Breaking Dawn, and only after he imprinted. haha. I was happy with him now because he would be gone!
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Yeah, but I was closer friends with one of them, but I just ignored it, and if they started talking badly about each other I'd be like "mmhmm....yup ....oh ya.." But that was while we were still at school. Now that we're not I think they've gotten over it. I didn't feel any pressure to take sides. I did what I felt like pretty much

I let is pass because they didn't seem as interested like how Jacob is with Bella.. unless he never told me.. and let it pass like I did... hmm..

I don't think I've been in that situation..

I was glued to the book. I didn't look up until I'd finished it.. I was practically screaming in my head at the book, at bella, at everything. I was a mess mentally reading the end of New Moon.

Dont know, don't care about Jacob :mrgreen: Still hate him at this point like I hated him at the start of the book
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

I'm not sure, I don't believe so. Maybe, no idea.

Continually failing set me off on trying, then when future opportunities arose, I never took advantage when now I wish I had.

I'm not sure for danger, I guess the closest so far would be an ex-girlfriend, who had broken up with me but I was still madly in love with, had her truck break down on the side of the road 15 miles from her home. I offered to go out and try to help her with it, since there really wasn't a side of the road, just a foot or two before a straight drop into the ditch, so most of her vehicle was still parked on the highway. So I drive out there, hit a deer, my car surfed it into the ditch while taking off its head. Lost my car from that and then I tried running the next 4 miles to her house, only getting 100 yards before a bunch of trucks passed me by at 4am who stopped and there was police. She knew nothing of this until 6am.

Or I guess there was this other time I was trying to give this girl I liked a ride home from one of her friends, and another friend of hers, when the brother of whose house we were at tried picking a fight with me. I tried walking away but I was attacked, and all they did was watch. I didn't care for my self, just theirs. Although it seems like if the opportunity arises where I have to help someone else that I really care for, I don't even think about myself, just her.

Yes -- actually I couldn't stop reading after Edward's break-up.

You see his selfishness there wanting to keep Bella and let her true love die. Selfish dog.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Instead of answering "not actually" to all the first questions, I just leave them out.
I was a nervous wreck all the way through New Moon. After Edward left, I read with the speed of lightning. But from this chapter on, I just kept reading all the way through. I had to remember to keep breathing. I mean, I always thought that it would turn out ok, but I had to keep reading to make sure.

Up until that point I liked Jacob. I think he was so great with Bella during these dark months, and that she really needed him. But why did he start answering other peoples phones? If Bella had answered Edward would have known she was safe. Of couse Jacob didn't know that, but it still annoys me. And I can't believe that he actually tried to convince Bella not to go to Italy, when she was the only one who could save Edward. It is just heartless, even if he loves Bella. He should know how much Edward means to her. So I started disliking Jacob at this point. And that impression pretty much stayed the same, until late in Breaking Dawn. He is actually an ok guy. But he shouldn't have tried to mess up Bella and Edward's relationship.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~