Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by Jadey »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
Not at all. I would do the same thing. I thought it was sweet. Sure, his family COULD get hurt, but what if Edward was out there and he got hurt. Bella wouldn't be able to live with herself. I didn't want Edward out there anyway. It's also for his safety. Wanting someone to be safe isn't selfish.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
He's deciding whether he should in fact stay with her or go and fight. He's seeing the hurt in her eyes if he does leave her. He doesn't want Bella to be in pain. And part of the pain is his fault for leaving her in New Moon.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
I think they're telling the truth. Bella just worries no matter what.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
He can't talk so he can't be annoying or obnoxious or arrogant. Like the way he was as the old Jake.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

Yes, it probably is. The biggest reason she asks him to stay back is for her own peace of mind. That's pretty selfish.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

I think, on some level, he was surprised that Bella would actually ask him. Bella is not one who usually asks for favors (especially when she is really the only one who will benefit from it.) Primarily, though, he HATES being reminded of how stupid it was for him to leave in the first place.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

I'm not sure. They are probably pretty confident they're going to win (esp with Jasper on their side), but I'm not sure they think it's as minor as they imply to Bella.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?

Because when he's in his wolf form, he can't really put any pressure on her to love him like he wants her to. He can only show a certain part of himself -- the part Bella likes the best.

Image Image Image
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

It is a little bit selfish because he could help his family and be sure they are safe. But, I can't blame Bella for wanting to make sure Edward was safe. She isn't whole without him, so its only natural that she would want to make sure he was safe, no matter what.

At first I think he may have been annoyed that Bella does not think he and his family are strong enough to take down some newborns. But, then maybe he puts himself in Bella's shoes. He was probably thinking about how he would feel if she were risking her life. The thought of how Edward would feel in Bella's shoes is probably what caused him to decide not to fight.

I'm sure there is probably more danger then they are telling Bella. However, I do think they believe they can handle whatever is coming their way. With the gifts Alice, Edward, and Jasper and the experience Jasper has it would be hard to beat them. With the gifts and experience the Cullens have along with the wolves, I don't think the newborns would have stood a chance.

Jacob can't put pressure on her and discuss how he feels when he is in wolf form. Bella is free to simply enjoy his company when he is a wolf.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Yes, it is selfish. Edward would be an important asset to the fight with his ability to read people's minds. But I understand her. And I might have done the same..I think I would have done the same actually. She couldn't stand loosing Edward.

He was thinking about the choices, and trying to decide what he could live with. I think he was looking in her eyes, to see how strongly she wanted it. And what he saw in her eyes must have convinced him. And I think what she saw in his eyes was guilt. He felt so guilty for leaving her in New Moon, and he could not stand to do that to her again. He also probably felt guilty for leaving his family to fight without him.

I think they were telling her the truth, that they really belived the danger was trival. Of course they wouldn't have told her if it was real danger..But I think they were honest this time. It seemed like all the Cullens were more able to relax, and the wolves were confident as well.

Because he is easier to deal with. He is more like the way he was in the beginning of their friendship, when he was just her friend. In the beginning he was easy-going and always in a good mood, he was her personal sun. And Jacob in his human form is much more complex in Eclipse, and that makes it more difficult for her to deal with him. It is also the fact that he can't speak, so he can't put any pressure on her about her love for him. So it is just easier for her to relate to him.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? I guess so yeah. But I would have given him the same 2 choices. I'm glad he chose the way he did instead of just tell her no he's going and she's hiding. That would not have been fair.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind? If I don't do this she will find a way to put herself into danger.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better? They anything but modest about there ability to fight.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form? Because he can't talk really. Before he turned he was talkative but never about wanting to be with her he just talked about stuff never anything serious. when he's a wolf she's able to just be with him without all the other crap getting in the way.
Becka
Settled in Forks

Post by Becka »

It is a little selfish of Bella but not surprising as she has a lot of trust issues when it comes to Edward, and who can blame her. Having said that, Edward has a lot of ultimatums for Bella also and both her reason for asking him to sit out and his reasons for all his requests/demands are the same i.e. they want to protect the other... so I don't think you can say Bella is entirely selfish.

Edward is thinking about his love for her versus his love for the rest of his family, you wonder too if he isn't looking for a sign of her true vulnerability. I thought about this for a while actually and I don't think he was looking for signs of manipulation I don't think he thinks Bella is capable of that. I think it was a look of true love and devotion/commitment from Edward, the moment she asked it of him his mind was made up...despite what Jasper might have said I think his decision would have been the same.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believ[/b]e the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
I think it's a bit of both. I think overall they are very confident with Alice's visions and with the help of the wolves and Jasper they have a pretty good idea that the stakes weigh in their favour. Because Alice's visions are always changing maybe there is a tiny element of doubt and so they are talking things up a bit. I also wondered if Alice has seen more of Victoria then she has let on and that was the concern more so than the actual danger of the newborns...perhaps Alice is unsure of what part Victoria will play or maybe she saw Victoria and Bella together.

This has a lot more to do with Jacob than it does Bella. I think his confidence when he phases shifts enormously and Jacob feels like he is on equal footing with Edward. I think Jacob feels that he has a real chance of winning Bella in these moments and so they are more relaxed and easy going with each other. In New Moon when Jacob and Bella were developing their relationship there was no competition with Edward, he was gone and seemingly there wasn't a chance he was coming back. The only barrier for their relationship was Bella's feelings and more often than not she succumbed to her true feelings for Jacob anyway. So I think in this part of Eclipse it feels like old times for them despite Edward being close at hand.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

Yes, I think it is, but if it were me I think I would be asking the same thing.

That even if everyone was mad at him and as bad as he wanted to fight, he would not leave her side. He could see the pain he caused her when he left before and he wouldn't dare do it again.

I think they really think it won't be an issue, especially w/ the wolves on there side now.

B/c he isn't trying to hit on her and he can't say mean things about Edward.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

yes, i think. to put everyone else at risk just to know that edward would be safe, is really unfair to me. :|

i think that he was probably saying that bella is the only thing that matters and if thats whats going to keep her safe/make her happy then thats what her has to do. not that i approve.

i definetly think that they were trying to make her feel better. if it was all over nothing, whats the big fuss?

im not sure. i guess there's some connection, deep down in both of them that makes it so free.
Betting on Alice.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I don't think so

Sadness, for ever leaving her.

Trying to make Bella feel better.

Beacue he can't talk they can just sit and be together as friends.
**Kathryn**
flo1190
Settled in Forks

Post by flo1190 »

yes, of course it is. and she knows that, but its the only thing she can do. the risk of losing edward is just too much

he's thinking of his family, and how they will be in more danger and also of the pain he's put bella through. he feels he has to do this for her after all shes been through.

they know the danger - theyre not stupid - but they wont admit to it, especially in front of bella. they are trying to reassure themselves as well as bella.

because he cant talk and be irritating? sorry, i dont like eclipse jacob. he's so annoying.
Team Emmett! Stronger than you since 1915.
so the lion fell in love with the lamb
"Alice sees him falling for a human. How classically Edward!"