Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Re: Children of the Moon vs Shape Shifters

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

Edward_Addict wrote:
who_needs_fangs? wrote:I don't think that the shape-shifters and vampires are mortal enemies. I think that the shape-shifters and anything that threatens the tribe safety are enemies. The first spirit warriors protected the tribe from rival tribes in the north, and the first spirit wolf protected the tribe from Utlapa. After a while, there was no need for protection, and no need for the wolves, but when the vampires came, the need for protection, and ergo the need for wolves came back.

The best analogy I can come up with is how its believed that mitochondria used to be a different organism, but lost its functions, other than turning sugar into ATP, because the human cell would do the other functions for it. :geek: :? That sounded a lot better in my head.

So I think that if in the future, La Push needed to be protected again, even from something other than vampires, and a human couldn't handle it, the wolves would come back and take care of it
Well-said! *claps* I totally agree, and I actually understood everything you were trying to say ;)
Yay, I spoke eloquently! I'm glad to see you share my views :)
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

AliceLauren wrote:I think that calling the Quilluetes "shape-shifters" was extremely clever. Quick witted children :)

But it makes perfect sense to me. I mean, technically they aren't werewolves, they don't need the full moon, and they know who they are, and they really only change shape. Genius.

I also do wish that we could learn more about Stephenie's version of actual werewolves. That would be really interesting.
Agreed. :D

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
ireadbookstoo
Wandering Through Town

Post by ireadbookstoo »

I found this passage very helpful in explaining the differences.

“Though the creatures think of themselves as werewolves, they are not. The more accurate name for them would be shape-shifters. The choice of a wolf was purely chance. It could have been a bear or hawk or a panther when the first change was made. These creatures truly have nothing to do with the Children of the Moon. They have merely inherited this skill from the fathers. It’s genetic—they do not continue their species by infecting others the way true werewolves do.” BD 704

From my understanding the Quileute tribe are shifters with a wolf as their spiritual icon, whereas werewolves are created through some disease like lycanthropy. Interesting to note too is when Caius said:

“The Children of the Moon have been our bitter enemies from the dawn of time. We have hunted them to near extinction in Europe and Asia.” BD 704

Which suggests that the two diseases, vampirism and lycanthropy, originated roughly the same time. And when added with:

“He considers himself a scientist. He thinks he’s creating a new super-race.” BD 737
“And this Joham? This immortal so fond of experimentation?” BD 738

Joham’s last known location is in South America, a region where werewolves have not been hunted to extinction. I wouldn’t be surprised if fusing the two strands is his pet project. That would fit the storyline very well since the Volturi is still a threat, and unless the Cullens orchestrate another BBQ, this experiment would be the next best bet for a Volturi wipe-out, since Aro mentioned that they will be paying him a visit.
- Team Carlisle -
"Did my heart love till now?
Forswear it, sight!
For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night."
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

ireadbookstoo wrote: Joham’s last known location is in South America, a region where werewolves have not been hunted to extinction. I wouldn’t be surprised if fusing the two strands is his pet project. That would fit the storyline very well since the Volturi is still a threat, and unless the Cullens orchestrate another BBQ, this experiment would be the next best bet for a Volturi wipe-out, since Aro mentioned that they will be paying him a visit.
How will he do that? I mean...I don't think hybrids and werewolves can have children...I don't see a way to fuse them.
Congratulations on finding that! You must have thought about it a while! :D
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way
Alice_in_Cullenland
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alice_in_Cullenland »

I know children of the moon are supposed to be near extinction...but I really want to see one become a plot point. Think about it; wouldn't a fight between the Quilete shapeshifters and the children of the moon be kind of cool? Or at least I want to know the differences between the two species...I also want to know if any of the CotM are like the Cullen clan in that they...have consciences? Don't infect people? I don't know how to specifically phrase it other than if they're all rampaging monsters. That's what was implied...but then again, vampires are supposed to be rampaging monsters too...