Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

CH is crap. "It was too strong. They said 'I love you' in much stronger ways" Blah blah blah
I'm soooo glad CW is taking over.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by shortstuff »

pennybug84 wrote: Oh something else, I read an interview w/MR who said that she just read Twilight when she was writing the script so that she would't be influenced and what not by what happens in the other books. But when it comes to some things that hurt the story and now they'll have some catching up to do in the other movies. (Like in NM they're going to have to explain who the Vultori are in the beginning so the whole Italy thing makes sense.)

well that was a stupid idea...
TeamEdward1918
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Wandering outside Forks looking for a certain house...

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

I agree shortstuff... Don't understand why she decided to do that :?

*sigh* I loved the movie, but I'm excited that someone new (and perhaps better) is taking over, almost like a fresh start for New Moon
I am a Twilighter with OCD
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side"
E<3B
Edward Cullen: Volvos Never Looked So Good
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

by TeamEdward1918 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 pm

I agree shortstuff... Don't understand why she decided to do that
I know when I read that I was like what the?? (Apparently she thought she was being smart but I don't think it worked out that way.) Now because of that there's some inconsistencies and stuff that should have been explained/introduced in Twilight that wasn't & they'll have to play catch up on some stuff in the other movies. Oh well. Hopefully everything will workout and NM will work when they do have to play catch up.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I wonder if Melissa talked to Stephenie while she wrote the script? I mean, if she wouldn't even read the book, she could at least see if there would be anything that needed to be known for books later on.
Because I know that's what the screenwriter for HP does with Jo, before all of the books were out. She tell him what needed to stay and what could go.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

The overall feel or 'mood' of the movie just wasn't right either... the last half was kinda..
but it wasn't dark and serious enough for my liking.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
MommyJen
Settled in Forks

Post by MommyJen »

I agree with a lot of the points made about the inconsistencies.

I am a late=comer to the Twilight world. I didn't read the books, but I did listen to them through audiobook. (It's the easiest way for me taking care of a kid and working from home).

I watched the movie a few days after finishing Twilight for the first time. So, I had the story and emotions fresh in my mind. I have been watching the special features on the DVD the past couple of days and I am very surprised that Stephenie Meyer is okay with the way things went!!

The number one most blatant offense is the lack of emotion between Edward and Bella. In the book, it is absolutely palpable. In the movie, I kept waiting for the "bang" and it never came.

My other big complaint was the relationship between Charlie and Bella. In the film, I don't feel like there is a connection between the two. In the book, Bella truly cares for her Dad and worries about his welfare greatly (hence her cooking and absolute freak out when James may endanger him and when she had to leave him). In the film she always seemed short with Charlie and somewhat annoyed by his presence. Charlie also seemed too stoic and I wasn't particularly a fan of him constantly drinking beer. I don't have a prolem with people drinking beer, but this seemed to make him out to be a loser dad who hasn't been in his kid's life. In the book, Charlie's heart was broken and never really moved on from Renée. You don't get that vibe from him the movie. Also, I feel that Bella cooking for Charlie shows a great deal of her nurturing and self-sacrificing character. For them to eat at a diner every night really annoyed me. Plus, the one scene where they were eating in the kitchen, Bella asks her dad in a cruel tone, "Are you done?" and takes his plate from him. I just think this whole characterization goes against Bella and Charlie in a negative way for the film.

I can let go a lot of the other things for the sake of book-to-film adaptation, but I truly believe in leaving the feel and spirit of characters intact and I don't feel that Bella and Charlie were given their true portrayals.

With that being said, I do feel a lot of this has to do with the director. She says she loves and wanted to breathe life into Twilight, but if the actors thought things were too mushy, I think the director needs to put her foot down and say, "No, this is necessary for development of the story" and the actors do their jobs. Overall, the directing is not that great. Several scenes feel forced, emotionless and stuttered.

I am very hopeful with the new director, he has a good track record. Also...sorry this has turned into a movie rant.... I wasn't a fan of the jittery camera.

I still do like the movie, but as a novel purist, it is very hard to let some things go.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

MommyJen wrote:My other big complaint was the relationship between Charlie and Bella. In the film, I don't feel like there is a connection between the two. In the book, Bella truly cares for her Dad and worries about his welfare greatly (hence her cooking and absolute freak out when James may endanger him and when she had to leave him). In the film she always seemed short with Charlie and somewhat annoyed by his presence. Charlie also seemed too stoic and I wasn't particularly a fan of him constantly drinking beer. I don't have a prolem with people drinking beer, but this seemed to make him out to be a loser dad who hasn't been in his kid's life. In the book, Charlie's heart was broken and never really moved on from Renée. You don't get that vibe from him the movie. Also, I feel that Bella cooking for Charlie shows a great deal of her nurturing and self-sacrificing character. For them to eat at a diner every night really annoyed me. Plus, the one scene where they were eating in the kitchen, Bella asks her dad in a cruel tone, "Are you done?" and takes his plate from him. I just think this whole characterization goes against Bella and Charlie in a negative way for the film.
Exactly. I like the way you wrote this paragraph. For me, the movie Bella was akin to having an attitude problem. She snapped at Charlie, hanged up on Renee, etc. And, she's always having a stoic look.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

It's really funny, the first time I saw the movie, I hadn't read the book so I loved the film and had no problem with it. Then I read the book and saw the movie again and I still didn't have a big problem with any of the changes from the book to the movie, then I read the book about three more times (maybe four) before I watched the DVD on Saturday and now I have big problems. There are so many critical scenes that were cut.

* Bella's dream - kind of important considering it is partly how she figures out the Jacob is a werewolf (ok shape-shifter but werewolf is easier to type)

* No development of Bella's love for the Cullen family. I mean not only does she love Edward intensely but she loves all the Cullens, minus Rosalie, which helps explain why she wanted to become one of them. The only time you see Alice interact with Bella is at the awful field trip scene and the baseball scene. Hardly BFF stuff.

* No explanation of the lullaby - gee that will make sense in NM when Edward gives her a cd and then takes it away :evil: At least in the deleted scenes they have Esme say that Bella is good for Edward. In fact this brings up my biggest complaint that it just wasn't clear how Edward and Bella had changed their lives forever so that neither could survive without the other. I really hope CW will be able to undo some of the damage done in New Moon.

*There was no emotional depth when Bella left Jasper and Alice to go find James. In the book I was sobbing as she wrote the letter to Edward, the movie was just so blah...oh I'm going to face this evil vampire with my pepper spray.

* Don't even get me started on the prom scene...so many problems. They didn't have Edward cook for her which is sooooo romantic and also helps soften Charlie towards Edward. They didn't have Alice and Rosalie help Bella get ready. WTH was with her wearing a sneaker to prom! and I know why Victoria had to be there but in the front room when they walk in....puhlease.

I'm sure I have more but oh shucks I'll have to watch it again.

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

There were a couple of inconsistencies, but the one that bothered me most was tiny. It was in the hospital scene with the tubes, and it shows her opening her eyes, and the tubes are touching her eyelashes. In the next angle, the tubes are like, 2 and a half inches away from her eyes.

It also bothers me how in....I think it's the prom scene, I don't remember....Edward is tanner than Bella. It irks me. :roll:
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee