Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
dawn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by dawn »

I think to stimulate some good old fashion Leah Clearwater discussion we should ask discussion questions :]

Here's one to consider: What do you consider Leah's greatest strength and weakness?
BrandOfHeroine
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by BrandOfHeroine »

dawn wrote:I think to stimulate some good old fashion Leah Clearwater discussion we should ask discussion questions :]

Here's one to consider: What do you consider Leah's greatest strength and weakness?
Her greatest strength I'd have to say is determination. Like, if Leah wants something she doesn't care what people say or think and she does it no matter what.

And her weakness I'd have to say is her temper, hands down. But that's easily remedied and it makes me like her more, so...
dawn

Post by dawn »

BrandOfHeroine wrote:
dawn wrote:I think to stimulate some good old fashion Leah Clearwater discussion we should ask discussion questions :]

Her greatest strength I'd have to say is determination. Like, if Leah wants something she doesn't care what people say or think and she does it no matter what.

And her weakness I'd have to say is her temper, hands down. But that's easily remedied and it makes me like her more, so...
Interesting ideas. I definitely agree that her greatest strength is her determination. Once she puts her mind to something, she gets it done. I think I'd have to disagree with you about her weakness, though. I think her biggest weakness is her inability to move on from her past. Granted, she went through a lot of things that impacted her life in a huge way. However, she continues to harp on what happens. For instance, all of the times she relives the memories of what happened between her and Sam is what causes the most trouble between her and the pact. Also, it seems to me that she is having trouble getting over the fact that she is a werewolf. But, if she just accepted these things she would be able to move on. Again, I think she has reasons for not being able to get over these things, but I do believe it is a weakness.
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

Her greatest strength? Leah's tough, even though she's been hurt in the past. I mean, she's in love with Sam, Sam's in love with her, and then suddenly Sam's both in love and attacking her cousin. Then- and talk about adding insult to injury- Sam and her cousin decide to get married and ask Leah to be the bridesmaid. And even after all this, even though Leah's still upset (and rightfully so), she does her best to put on a brave face and move on. I don't care what the other wolves said about her being a vindictive harpy, if your boyfriend did that to you you probably couldn't just get over it like *that* either. She makes an honest effort, which, may I remind you all, is better than what Bella did when Edward left.

Her greatest weakness? Leah may be tough but she's also incredibly insecure. She's not normal, most if not all of the people she is telepathically linked to hate her guts, and her lover dumped her for her cousin/best friend. That's kind of traumatic, and while she puts on a brave face and tries to move on she can't help wondering if there is something wrong with her. See her conversations with Jacob in BD. In a way she even blames herself for Sam dumping her... I don't know the exact quote, but she basically tells Jacob that her bloodlines are just as good as Emily's, so the only reason Sam imprinted on Emily and not her must be because there is something genetically wrong with her, since imprinting occurs to ensure the strongest genes are passed on.

So, there's my two cents.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

You guys, I think I've found the perfect actress to play Leah!! But you've gotta keep an open mind here cuz well, okay. She's not Native American. She's Indian, in the literal sense. As in, from India. The girl who plays the grown-up Latika in Slumdog Millionaire.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2951768/

She is fantastic!

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I must say that Leah is one of my favorite characters in the entire series and i've held a lot of interest for her, more so than the 2 main characters. It's funny at first I just saw her as some bitter harpy and needed to move one, but they I delve deep into her character and realized how much she's been through and how she still manages . While i'm glad we could learn more about her in BD, I just wish we could have spent more time getting to know her. I really would not have mind if the rest of the book was in Jacob's POV. There is one thing i've been intrested in knowing about her. How do you think her reaction was when she found out Jacob imprinted on Bella's child? I mean i'm pretty sure she might have been disgusted at first, but i can't help but feel that maybe she felt like she might have lost someone to identify with since it seems like Jacob changed (at least it seems like that with me). How do you think Jacob imprinting affected their relationship?
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

At first I didn't like Leah either, but as I got into the series I realized she's one of the most complex characters in the series. She's been through so much, but that doesn't let it stop her. I wish she was able to find love. I wonder if female wolves can imprint? I assume it would be on a human male since wolves don't imprint on other wolves. She could imprint on Mike. :lol: j/k
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

lady4string wrote:At first I didn't like Leah either, but as I got into the series I realized she's one of the most complex characters in the series. She's been through so much, but that doesn't let it stop her. I wish she was able to find love. I wonder if female wolves can imprint? I assume it would be on a human male since wolves don't imprint on other wolves. She could imprint on Mike. :lol: j/k
I think she is a complex and interesting character as well. I wish she found love as well, but I don't really like her finding love through imprinting. One of the things that I've admired so much about her is how she's able to strive through her heartbreak and try to move one. I can't see her imprinting because I really couldn't imagine her becoming some sort of love sick puppy attached to one person like glue and can barely be away from that person for more than 2 seconds like the rest of the wolfs are. The reason why I loved the whole dynamic between her and Jacob is because they both suffered from the same lost and thus could understand one another. Through that they could change and grow for the better. One of the reasons I disliked Jacob imprinting is because it seemed to throw all that development away and to me seemed like some sort of cop-out. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to Leah. I think she is strong enough to find her happiness w/o imprinting and through her strength can find love again.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

Leah could have been a really great main character if Stephenie had invested a little more time in her. I also think it would have been a more satisfactory ending if Jacob had imprinted on Leah, she would have found her love. I think its sad how she always sees herself as the sort of 'baggage' of the pack, i think although she is Jake's Beta now, she should have had a higher rank in Sam's pack.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

Total Twilight Fan wrote:Leah could have been a really great main character if Stephenie had invested a little more time in her. I also think it would have been a more satisfactory ending if Jacob had imprinted on Leah, she would have found her love. I think its sad how she always sees herself as the sort of 'baggage' of the pack, i think although she is Jake's Beta now, she should have had a higher rank in Sam's pack.
No, no, no, you know, Jake and Leah could have had a romantic relationship without imprinting. Why is it always with the imprinting? The greatest loves are always, always the ones that have time to develop (unless you're Disney, of course, in which case the only certainty is that there'll be a happy ending and the Main Villain has a 99% chance of falling to en's death, but I digress...) and grow, not the love-at-first-sight variety. Love at first sight = lust, love after brushing your teeth standing next to the same person 5,000 times = true love.
My point being, who needs imprinting? Jake and Leah- they were headed that direction anyway, and to heck with imprinting, until Nessie threw a spanner in the works. Love is supposed to be slow and gradual, not some struck-by-lightning, leaves-you-breathless event.