Twilight verses the Host

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by Ouisa »

The Host. It's a richer more complex story than just the boy meets girl, boy wants to kill girl story in Twilight. The characters beyond the love quadrangle are deeper as well. I also like the examination of the many aspects of love (maternal, fraternal, compassion for the suffering, platonic, love for the whole of society....) The Host provided wonderful glimpses of each kind as well as the chance to analyze what truly makes us human.
Granuaile
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Granuaile »

I KNOW! I like twilight of course, but the real appeal to me is that something that incredible seemed so real! And it seemed like it could happen to anyone. I actually like Wanderer! And Mel! :lol:
Who needs imagination when there is Reality?
Answer: me

I wish our posts were graded, since this is what I'm doing instead of homework!

I am NOT bothering to learn ALL of your names. First come, first serve. And I'm done serving.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Oh, hands-down, "Twilight" was much better for me. I tried to start "The Host" twice, and got just a few chapters in before putting it down and returning to reading the Twilight series AGAIN! After four reads through the Tw books, I finally put them down last week. "The Host" has been sitting on my coffee table staring at me. :lol: When Ike hit last Saturday and knocked out the power, I finally picked up the book, went out on my patio, and read.

I was about half-way through before I got to the point where I couldn't put it down. I MADE myself read it, though. I cried when Wanderer made her decision to die, but I knew that she wouldn't, because obviously Steph wouldn't leave a main character without the love partner! I really didn't like the human that Wanderer went to... another petite, weak-looking female that needs protecting; I felt that Wanderer was a strong personality, and should have gotten a host to reflect that. Melanie was so strong- physically and mentally. I got used to Wanderer/Melanie! There wasn't much time to get used to Wanderer in her new body. I think the ending was left open for a sequel... I'll read it, just to keep up with the story, but there wasn't the pull I felt with Twilight.
Dazzled <3
Wandering Through Town

Post by Dazzled <3 »

I agree, the Host was very hard to get into. It took me almost 200 pages to get more or less hooked, but it definitely didn't have the instant pull that Twilight did. Hopefully the sequae she has been talking about writing will be easier to get into. She is a great storyteller, obviously, so the sequel could be good.
..:: Lauren ::..

Why am I covered in feathers?
I bit a pillow. Or two.
strawberry
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by strawberry »

I like Twilight more than The Host, eventhough (like someone already said) they are hard to compare.
Twilight got me hooked right at the beginning, The Host took me about 100 pages till I really got into it.
I like The Host, it´s an interesting and complex story with wonderful characters but I still prefer Twilight.
ianxedward
Settled in Forks

Post by ianxedward »

Definitely the Host.

I just loved the plot and the characters much better, and sometimes Bella annoyed the hell out of me. She was so weak and I don't know...that just annoyed me. I loved how strong Wanda and Mel were.

As much as I love Edward, believe me I have fantasies about this fictional character haha, he's just...unbelievable. No one is that perfect. Ian is more real. He makes mistakes and I love how he goes from completely hating Wanda to loving her. He's so flawed and confused and that's why I love him.

And Twilight, while it is one of the most amazing books I've ever read is just another love story. The Host may be a love story but there's so much in there its amazing. Self-sacrifice, the destruction of the human race and just the feeling of not being able to put the book down from the first page is amazing.

Oh, and of course the real reason is Jeb. Dude, nothing beats Jeb."It's my house!"

I'm praying she writes sequels.
jmeln
Settled in Forks

Post by jmeln »

I really love Twilight! I'm reading the Host now, and I've found it hard to get into. While I fell into Twilight from the getgo, The Host has taken awhile to start to like it. And even at that, I'm not sure how much i like it. I like Melanie and Jared, and I like how Wanda seems "human", but for some reason, the whole Wanda/Ian thing bugs me! I don't know why?? I love Jamie, too. I wish there was a way Wanda could get out of Mel!! I still have about 175 pages to go, so I don't know how it ends, but while I'm anxious to finish, it's hard to read sometimes. And I never found that with Twilight. While I was reading that book, I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day! I also find The Host a slower read, a bit confusing (at the beginning), and like someone else said, repetitive. I love SM and her writing, but I think I'll stick to Twilight. ;)
Kate24
Settled in Forks

Post by Kate24 »

Twilight first but I absolutely love the host.
"No one's ever loved anyone as much as I love you"
"You're almost right" ... "I know of just one exception"

Me. =] I love Edward!
Kate24
Settled in Forks

Post by Kate24 »

jmeln wrote:I really love Twilight! I'm reading the Host now, and I've found it hard to get into. While I fell into Twilight from the getgo, The Host has taken awhile to start to like it. And even at that, I'm not sure how much i like it. I like Melanie and Jared, and I like how Wanda seems "human", but for some reason, the whole Wanda/Ian thing bugs me! I don't know why?? I love Jamie, too. I wish there was a way Wanda could get out of Mel!! I still have about 175 pages to go, so I don't know how it ends, but while I'm anxious to finish, it's hard to read sometimes. And I never found that with Twilight. While I was reading that book, I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day! I also find The Host a slower read, a bit confusing (at the beginning), and like someone else said, repetitive. I love SM and her writing, but I think I'll stick to Twilight. ;)
Keep reading it gets so good!!!

I love Ian and Wanda :D :D :D
"No one's ever loved anyone as much as I love you"
"You're almost right" ... "I know of just one exception"

Me. =] I love Edward!
Out-Of-The-Shadows
Settled in Forks

Post by Out-Of-The-Shadows »

I cannot pick one. Its not a hands down thing for me. I am not a BIG fan of sci-fi and I tried to picture myself reading "The host" and couldn't imagine it at all...but guess what? Since it was my most FAVORITE author, I HAD to pick it up and read it. I. COULD. NOT. PUT. IT. DOWN. And as I was reading it, speculating like CRAZY (!!), I was asking myself, how could this be sci-fi?

But if this helps... The Host is my Aliens and scared humans while Twilight is my Vampires and loved humans. Never the two shall part away from me.