The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah, we were discussing Gale vs. Peeta and Maddy said, "I hope Gale dies in a hole!" and it kinda blew into this big thing about people dying in holes.

So I was thinking the other day and have you guys noticed the way that Collins uses race in the book? Like in District 12 the lower classed miners have dark hair, skin, and gray eyes (I don't know how that would work, like a hispanic person with gray eyes?). But then the sorta upper merchant class in District 12 are blonde-hair blue-eyed. (Kat's mom who was in the merchant class, Peeta, Madge). Then you also have District 11 who is just as poor as District 12. Rue and Thresh were both described as black. I wonder what SC means by that and if it'll affect the plot in any way.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

It may have something to do with where people lived and where they fled from. I'm guessing District 11 is what remains of the Deep South and Midwest, District 12 could be somewhere in the Appalchians (didn't she say that?). I would think the other districts are mostly in the mountains.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

^^Yes, District 12 is in the Appalachian mountains.
But I still find it interesting that the low class has dark skin and hair, but the upper class is blonde-haired blue-eyed.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

The descendents of migrant workers vs the original Dutch/English/German colonists?
I don't know how we would get gray eyes, but I guess its creative lisence for Collins.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

CastMeNotAway, it must be really hard for you to not give away spoilers. :lol:

Aw, sucks about the no significant holes. XD
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

There's still hope for the 3rd one though, right?
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

debussygirl wrote:^^Yes, District 12 is in the Appalachian mountains.
But I still find it interesting that the low class has dark skin and hair, but the upper class is blonde-haired blue-eyed.
I did not realize this and I find it kind of disturbing and so... ummmmm RACIST!

totally off subject but it reminds me of a lady I met whe HATED twilight. I thought how could Twilight be Hated? Disliked ok, but HAted???

So she said "I thought it was horrifing!!!!"

Then she proceded to say it screamed out reminders of her childhood (She was raised Mormon and hated it and converted later to Judiams... I have liked every Mormon I ever met, so I am not personally judging) but my friend had no idea Stephenie Meyer was Mormon...

How freaky is that?

I hope Collins is just working with what history has given us as was not raised by decendents of Nazi's ... It just reminds me of everything I have ever learned about Hitler's superior race of blue eyed blonds... EEEKKKKK

ok. Also Hitler was neith blue eyed or blond, but he was white.

ok... off my soapbox....

I get frustrated because I truly feel that people are people irregardless of color, nationality, religion or lineage.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

spookybell wrote:
debussygirl wrote:^^Yes, District 12 is in the Appalachian mountains.
I did not realize this and I find it kind of disturbing and so... ummmmm RACIST!

totally off subject but it reminds me of a lady I met whe HATED twilight. I thought how could Twilight be Hated? Disliked ok, but HAted???

So she said "I thought it was horrifing!!!!"

Then she proceded to say it screamed out reminders of her childhood (She was raised Mormon and hated it and converted later to Judiams... I have liked every Mormon I ever met, so I am not personally judging) but my friend had no idea Stephenie Meyer was Mormon...

How freaky is that?

I hope Collins is just working with what history has given us as was not raised by decendents of Nazi's ... It just reminds me of everything I have ever learned about Hitler's superior race of blue eyed blonds... EEEKKKKK

ok. Also Hitler was neith blue eyed or blond, but he was white.

ok... off my soapbox....

I get frustrated because I truly feel that people are people irregardless of color, nationality, religion or lineage.
wow calm down...
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Well, I don't think Colllins was trying to be rascist. It was just a plot device to point out some differences between the rich town people who worked for the Captiol, and the poor oppressed laborers.
And Hitler was a total creeper! ( was watching Valkyrie, and he was checking Tom Cruise out. Made me laugh.)

You know, I enjoy being Mormon. Screw people who don't like us.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

I don't think Collins meant to be racist either. I mean, just because she made it that way doesn't mean she feels it. She could have chosen this to point out the evil of racism. Just look at the world HG is in. Nearly everyone is miserable, and maybe making this social system based on looks is part of why their government is so cruel and everything. Also, she isn't demeaning either race. Gale is a strong young man and Katniss is very independent. Peeta is kind and Kat's mom was willing to marry someone low-classed. And Rue and Thresh were always Kat's favorites out in the hunger games. I think it's more of outside influence or past influence rather than the people themselves.