The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: The Third Table

Post by samajama »

BlueStarlight wrote:I imagine Edward was very anxious during his "bachelor party." I thought he told Bella that they were just going to hunt... my copy of BD is lent-out, so I can't check to see if that's what they did.
I think Jasper tells Bella that they're going hunting, winks, and jumps down from her windowsill. Or something like that. I'm too lazy to search through BD at the moment.

And, since she's been so neglected, I think I'd like to see Esme's point of view. But when? Hmm.. Well, the baseball game, for one. I think I'd also like to see Esme's point of view at Edward and Bella's wedding, Bella's brithday, when she and Edward tell her that she's using her birthday present, when everyone returns from AZ, and *thinks really hard* after the almost fight with the Volturi.

I love Esme. She's really neglected. =(
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Alcyone wrote:I second Charlie when Jacob fursplodes.

Heehee. Fursploding.

My take is Aro. When he touches Edward (inferred, if not shown) and Alice in Volterra. Touching Marcus. Touching Edward again in BD. Hell, have him touch everyone! (In a strictly non sensual/sexual way). Get some interesting stories and narrated with his brilliant sense of humor.

And then have him touch me (in a strictly sensual/sexual way) but that Story won't be repeated. It's for private enjoyment. Very private indeed. :twisted:
Fursploding, that is utter brilliance. Is that yours, Alcy?

However, I must admit that your fixation with Aro still astounds me. He is way old and oniony. Bring the young ones, all sparkly and wild...wait, I'm not answering the questions. Sorry, Ouisa. :twisted:
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

I shamelessly stole it from always wondrously brilliant firefly.

Ew to young and sparkly since I know you're thinking of Edward! Ew, ew, ew! Eugh, that creature is disgusting and hateful and downright distasteful! Where's the holy water when you need it?!
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Alcyone wrote: Ew to young and sparkly since I know you're thinking of Edward! Ew, ew, ew! Eugh, that creature is disgusting and hateful and downright distasteful! Where's the holy water when you need it?!
Sorry, I used it to try to wash off Aro. Unfortunately, many important bits were lots to the holy water, sooo sorry Alcy. :lol:
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

When we went to Forks with everyone this summer we brought all of my nieces and nephews. Each of them in Frywear with either a Little Bites or Pup shirt with Edward or Jake. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/o ... G_5587.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/o ... G_5591.jpg
With all this talk about Vampires and with our trip this summer, my six year old nephew has decided he wants to be a vampire for Halloween. The problem is he wants a cape and fangs and all that nonsense. We can't seem to get him to understand that he needs to wear body glitter and pale colored clothes and a nasty case of bed head! Doesn't he know real vampires sparkle!!

How has your obsession affected your kids?
Last edited by Ouisa on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Ouisa wrote: How has your obsession affected your kids?
Unfortunately, my obsession has steered my 10 year old daughter the other way. I think she thinks I like Edward more than her dad. Of course that is not true, but as much as I try to explain that it is just a "hobby" like her listening to her ipod or playing Hannah Montana on the computer, she doesn't seem to get it. She seems pretty put out by the time I spend on the lex and reading the books. I have tried to be more balanced within the last 6 months or so, but I think the seed of resentment was already there and won't lift. I have told her that someday she may really enjoy the TW books. "I will never read them". Ok then.

My 7 year old daughter doesn't seem to care as much. Her favorite thing about the lex/tw stuff is Fry's Banners. She will ask me to show her the one with the baseball. Or show me the one where he is wiggling his bottom in the forest. So she can appreciate the cuteness that is Edward.

Ouisa, love the shirts for the nieces and nephews. Are those a Fry creation as well? Such a talent he has.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Ouisa wrote: How has your obsession affected your kids?
Ouisa, I LOVE this question. Such big thanks to both you and December for this thread!

My obsession has affected my children in these positive ways:

My 10 yr old daughter, who will probably get to read these in about 2 years, sees me reading all the time. And discussing books. And traveling due to my love of books. She has developed her own great love of reading and talks to me about what she reads. She wants to do a book club with me, which we will next summer.

My son, well, he is 6 and pretty much is all about himself. But I can tell you this. My children see that I have a passion for something. That I have met some of the most intelligent, amazing and talented people through my "obsession". If they can learn to find their own passions and then hopefully be able to enrich their own lives with them, or possibly choose careers or hobbies around those passions, then I have given them something special as a parent. Like my son said at the Children's Museum this weekend, when I tried to convince him to buy anything other than more little trains at the shop, "Mommy, trains are my life. They are my spirit. You know how everyone has a spirit? Trains are mine." (And that is truly a direct quote - Also, by the way, his great great grandpa was a locomotive engineer)
Ouisa

Post by Ouisa »

Blue, you are so right! I love that you shared positive ways that <s> obsession </s> passion can inspire our kids!
They say kids learn to love books not only by being read to but seeing their parents reading. This is challenging these days when most families spend too much time in front of the TV or playing video games. (not that these are inherently bad). As an aspiring teacher I worry about instilling a passion for books into my students. It just came so easily for me! I can't think of a better example to one's kids than you. You've taken our interest and done such great things with the book club!
Last edited by Ouisa on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

How has your obsession affected your kids?

Well, I don't have kids and most of my nieces are all closer to my age than my own siblings, so they've already read the saga and are affected by it about as much as I am. I say about because I'm the only one in my family obsessed enough to join the Lex and Dex, go to Forks with a bunch of girlfriends, etc.

However, ever since I read Twilight, my view of vampires have changed. I watched Interview with a Vampire a few months ago and was mad that Kirsten Dunst's character got fried in the sunlight. I kept thinking, "Vampires sparkle in the sunlight not fry!" I was also mad that they slept in coffins. Vampires don't sleep in coffins because they don't sleep at all! :lol: Also, I had an AWESOME vampire costume because I had cap fangs for my teeth, but I won't wear them anymore because vampires don't have fangs. I use the teeth for animal costumes now. :D

It's so silly that most of this vampire lore has been around for centuries and here I read one little book, which turned into four, and I've dismissed all previous vampire lore and now hold to the new lore like it's gospel! :shock: :roll: ;) :lol:
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Ouisa

Post by Ouisa »

Jenni wrote: t's so silly that most of this vampire lore has been around for centuries and here I read one little book, which turned into four, and I've dismissed all previous vampire lore and now hold to the new lore like it's gospel!
One of the things that I enjoyed most about Twilight was the new twist on the vampire mythology. I've never been a big fan of vampires (other than Buffy and that was mostly about the snark for me) so I liked the new perspective and the closer ties to reality. (at least pre-BD).

But since reading Twilight, somethingblue has forced me to read so many vampire books. I guess I'm developing the ability to compartmentalize the rules of each type of vampire just as I used to the physical laws of each scifi book I read.

Each mythology provides something new I like. (NOTE: MINOR SPOILERS for several vampire series to follow!)

I like the Stephenie's ideas about talents (being tied to human strengths) and the unchanging nature of vampires (with the philosophical and religious implications that brings.) And I kinda like the sparkles.

I like the marks in the House of Night series, particularly how they are influenced by one's gifts or services to the goddess. And I like Nyx the Goddess as well. I like the elemental aspects and other gifts too. (I just finsihed book four in this series and really loved it.)

I like the bonding in JR Ward's Brotherhood books with the feeding coming from one's partnership instead of feeding on humans and I like the Scribe Virgin too. I like how the Brothers serve their race and protect it. It gives them a goal and makes them the good guys instead of the bad guys vamps traditionally are.

I like the concept of human Breedmates and their unique gifts in Lara Adrian's books. Again with this one I like the concepts of service. And I like the idea of the bloodlust/Rouge dynamic. It's a good metaphor for any human addiction. And that's what vampire stories traditionally were, cautionary tales to warn us from too much passion. (usually sexual.)

When it comes to Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris (and the True Blood TV version) I like Eric. And his..... Okay unique to the mythology....I like how the book deals with the coming out of vampires and the sociopolitical aspects of that..
I guess I really like talents, powers and gifts don't I.
Last edited by Ouisa on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.