Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Re: Writers Central

Post by Feathers »

psugar wrote:I always know how the plot will run in my story, and the resolution. That's a huge problem for me then, because I will rush through the whole entire story and alltogether annoys people.
Perhaps you could work this to your advantage. Rush through it, get to your end, and then go back and flesh it out some more, and *then* publish it. That might help a bit.

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
Marcy
Lexicon Crisis Evacutation Coordinator

Post by Marcy »

Hey fellow writers!

Is anyone else gearing up to do NaNoWriMo this year? I did it last year and it was so much fun...I can't wait to get started again!
Vampyr Reborn
Settled in Forks

Post by Vampyr Reborn »

Last edited by Vampyr Reborn on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juliana<3Jake
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Juliana<3Jake »

Marcy wrote:Hey fellow writers!

Is anyone else gearing up to do NaNoWriMo this year? I did it last year and it was so much fun...I can't wait to get started again!
Oh yeah!

I'm working on another story right now... But yeah I will definitely be doing it. :]
J<3B
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Hey, it's good to read that there are so many writers on the Lex...I'm a writer myself.
I'm currently writing a fantasy romance set in college. A 300-something girl (about 17 years old by human standard) from an acient fairy people enrolls in college and meets a handsome but womaniser football player. I'm currently working on the plot but I know exactly what is going to happen...
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

Hello all!

This is such a great thread! I never knew it existed (I really should spend more time browsing the Lex--I didn't even think that was possible, but there you go). I am also a writer and my dream is to publish a YA novel someday. That would just be amazing...

Anyway, I got started with writing the summer after my freshman year in high school because I wrote a fanfiction for Harry Potter. It's a love story mixed with a comedy about Hermione and Draco (just because I'm a sucker for the impossible romance), and I realized that I had a lot of fun writing it. It was great to post something and then have complete strangers give you positive feedback on it. What a rush! So, yes, fanfiction was a launch pad for my writing. I remember my best friend at the time, after reading my fanfiction, saying to me, "You know, you could do this for real. Like, write your own book." I just thought to myself...hmm. Well, maybe I can. That night I got this idea in my head for a story and just wrote it down a piece of paper.

Well, four years later, I only had four chapters written on this story (it was about 14,000 words). It was agony because I always wanted to write but something was always holding me back on it. I guess I was afraid of failing, so I figured if I didn't really start, then I couldn't fail. Well, one day this past August (a couple days after Breaking Dawn came out, actually), I just got fed up with myself and said no more excuses. If I wanted to write it, then I just needed to write it! So I did--I just went. Since then, I've written about 18,000 words and I've completely revamped my story line and some of my characters. I didn't even bother going back to edit the first four chapters--I'm just moving forward. The great thing for me is that I'm having my older sister read my story as I write it and she gives me feedback and encourages me to keep going. It's great to have someone there for you! Although, I must admit, every time I have a few more pages for her to read, I get nervous as hell--I'm always afraid that she'll hate it and tell me I can't write after all. It's nerve-wracking.

Right now, I'm not even thinking about getting my "novel" published. I don't even like calling it a "novel" because the word itself just freaks me out. I'm just looking forward to the day that I actually finish it!

Okay, this post is way too long so I'll save other comments for another day. It's great to find all of you!

Oh, and here is my fanfiction page if anyone happened to be interested in my story: http://www.fanfiction.net/~aria327
It's the one called "Kneazles, Anyone?" Check it out if you feel so inclined.
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
~twilight_princess~
Wandering Through Town

Post by ~twilight_princess~ »

What is NaNo?

Anyone with a facebook should join my Stephenie Meyer group! Here:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10202818409
Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

NaNo (or NaNoWriMo) is a shorthand for National November Writing Month (or something along those lines...i'm pretty sure that's it).

This website runs it and the point of NaNo is to start writing a story from scratch and try to reach 50,000 words the end of the day November 30. 50,000 is considered a short novel, or a novella, so NaNo encourages people to just get a novel finished instead of always thinking "Well, that's something I'd like to do one day."

I've never done it (I'm a full-time student--when would I ever have time? :shock: ), but it sounds awesome.
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I'm a writer and am lucky enough to have a dad that wants me to succeed very badly. I wrote a book and since no one publishes minors, my dad is paying for my book to be published through self-publishing. I'm really nervous and excited for it to come out. I'm still working on editing it, but hopefully I'll have the final draft soon and it'll be out in print! :D
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

Feathers wrote:
psugar wrote:I always know how the plot will run in my story, and the resolution. That's a huge problem for me then, because I will rush through the whole entire story and alltogether annoys people.
Perhaps you could work this to your advantage. Rush through it, get to your end, and then go back and flesh it out some more, and *then* publish it. That might help a bit.

<3 Ren
Thanks, my new story now (vampire it's really cool) is in a letter form (the charries write emails to each other) so I wrote out the letters and then added stuff in between and I found it alot easier than trying to add.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!