The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Post by pennybug84 »

Catching Fire was soooo good. I got so caught up in it when I got to the end I was like Nooo! This is how it ends? That's the evil thing when it comes to reading a series before all of the books are out. I definitely plan on rereading them but I have so me other books I'm going to get to first.
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote: If Cinnia's dead I will CRY! Thats... Worse than Dumbledore! At least he was old, Cinnia's too young to die!
I agree with you, I really got to love his character, I hope that maybe he just was beaten really bad but manages to live. That's another icky thing about reading books like this, characters I like die (in HP there were a lot that died that really sucked.)

dazzle_me-xx wrote:^^ I got mine for $14 (Austrailian) at kmart.
DudeRocksTheTwilight wrote: Does Katniss just love the boy she's with the moment she's with him? or is this a classic case of Gale was the past before the Hunger Games and Peeta is the past after the Hunger Games and it's a no win situation? I'm feeling for Galniss. I'm hoping Peeta and Madge end up together and creatre Peedge.
YESSS!!!
Another Galeniss supporter.
*sigh*
It seems everyone's a Peeta fan nowadays...
Not that I don't like Peeta or anything, it just that he's too...cliche. You know? Good looking blond jock? Plus he's kinda boring. Sweet, but boring.
Maybe I'm the only one but I at this point don't really have an opinion on who I want Katniss to end up with. I like both Gale & Peeta for their own reasons. They'd both be good guys to end up with. I was kind of leaning towards Peeta just because I feel like I go to know him better in HG than I did Gale, but Idk. Can't wait for the 3rd one to come out to see how this all works out! (I'm assuming will it be not till next September?)

I am so glad that I decided to read HG based on SM's suggestion. That's one of the best ways to read books is on suggestion, that's how I read Twilight & now HG. Books are just awesome.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

^^I don't know who I want Katniss to end up with, but I love Peeta times a million. So I mostly lean towards Peeta, but I don't care if Katniss ends up with Gale as long as Peeta's alive.

I'm excited to see a full-scale rebellion in the next one! It's going to be sooo intense, although I'm sure we'll all have our hearts ripped out as characters die. :(
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
danobanano
Putting the Fun in Fun Fur

Post by danobanano »

In my mind, Katniss and Gale rescue Peeta but Peeta is on the brink of death and doesn't live long [except then how could he be the leader of the rebellion the way Katniss sees him - plot flaws I know which is why I'm not a writer]. Peeta really does impregnate Katniss but then dies, however Gale raises the child as his own (once the rebellion has suceeded and the Capitol is overthrown). A classic tragic love triangle like that movie Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck. Weird ramblings not to be taken seriously.

Don't you think it's clever how Katniss doesn't have to kill just to kill? In both books, this is true. She actually was saving Cato from those mutations, instead of killing him to win the game. Finnik swoops during Catching Fire and acts as the killing machine so Katniss doesn't have to. Why is that you think? Who would Katniss become if her kills were out of sheer destructiveness? Would she be considered the Mockingjay if she killed with intent? Her development as a character is so interesting, she starts out preparing herself to kill on th spot but then never really has to. She's given time to deliberate her motives and realizes that she doesn't have to play the Capitol's game, is this Haymitch's doing or a concious decision of Katniss? Catching Fire when the Quarter Quell is read Katniss's first thought is who would she rather kill? Haymitch or Peeta? Then instantly tells herself she couldn't kill either. Yet her initial thought was all about killing even though she never has to follow through with it.

How much destruction has occurred in District 4 since that's Finnik's district and he's on the rebellion's side? Are they more prepared to fight the Capitol since obviously District 12 isn't?

What's really in District 13? These books are so amazing and I love discussing them with you all in here!
It's all about expectations baby
Help Save Forks High School
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

My dad is reading The Hunger Games! Finally. But yay! Even though I still won't have anyone to obsess over them with... he only obsesses over cool things, like electric motorcycles. :P
danobanano wrote:What's really in District 13?
Zombies. Totally zombies.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I finally finished Catching fire and I am sure I will have to edit it after I read everone elses post.

I loved Catching Fire, it was a great adventure and I have come to love Hamitch when I thought I could only lother him. I adore Peeta because he genunuinly loves Katniss. I love Katniss because she does not pretend to so anything she is not and she is tough. I love Gale, but I missed him in this book.

I can read a story and take everything at face value, even the info for thought, I cound note and file in my head. Never bothering to add up anything.

There are 2 things I knew going onto reading this book only because there is a trilogy. Katnisses' final decision between Gale and Peeta will not be known in this book. A revolution was bound to happen, the rebelion, that was obvious. The catalist would be something I was yet to know. I never expected the rendition of the Hunger Games, but I can say, it was fun tee soo from a very differenet point of view with Katniss as the one to beat, the strong girl, etc.

I didn't see the "Plan" and Hamitch's involvment blew me away.

My only complaint was that Suzanne Collins gave us all the info, the plan, the schemem, the info about everything in 2 paragraphs. It was too much to absorb at once. I would have rather read a conversation than a quick recap. Overall I loved it and I am reading it again and I love seeing all the "duh" and "ahaha" moments that are all there.

I also woner how different the expierence would have been if I read this book as a 6th grader.

EDIT ADDITIONAL RESPOPNCES

HOLES…. What are you all talking about?
OMG…. It took me like 30 minutes – DUH!!!!!! I can’t believe I forgot.
The only hole I can recall is the one made to get water out of the tree.

So, we have to with to see in the 3’rd book… who dies in a hole… frankly. Who dies!

Jasper- I didn’t give a thought to who would go to Quarter Querll and I too didn’t expect another Games.

Funny thing, I NEVER think there things! Never thought about Madge. I’d say, they have joined the rebellion, by default (at least Katniss) the rest of them seem 100% on the rebellion committee. I bet book 3 with be the rebellion. It has to be. It’s The people VS. the Capitol. I have to think… it also ends well. There will be painful tragedies. I’m even going to take a guess that either Gale or Peeta die… so Katniss does not have to choose. In fact, the only person who does not get to die is Katniss and one of the boys. Everyone else is fair game.

blasphemous_contessa
I didn’t expect Gale to show up either – AND I LOVED IT! If anyone could shake Katniss. It would be Gale. Perfection!

danobananodanobanano
excuse me a moment ***squeee*** I met you at Twi-Con!
I do not think Katniss will have to choose Gale or Peeta. I believe one will die. I believe we will find out what happened to Sinna. If he isn’t dead yet, I think he will be used and will die. I don’t know or care if anything happened between Madge and Gale during the Hunger Games. I also believe Gale loved Katniss long ago. Honestly, I think Madge sent the medication because she is Katniss’ friend and does history. Maybe Madge has a secrets crush on Gale, but I don’t think Gale feels the same.

I think Katniss never expected to love anyone. She didn’t leave for the Hunger Games loving Gale. She only gave it a thought after kissing him. Same with Peeta. I think her feelings for both guys surprise her. She loves Gale as a friend and Peeta shared the most insane thing a person could experience so her love for him is completely different (This is without any romantic loves)

I think before the Games, Katniss would have stubbornly stayed single and Gale would never have had a chance. I think Gale will be huge in the 3rd book and we will all love him to bits. Everyone has changed. Some more and some less, but no one is who they began as.

DudeRocksTheTwilight
I think Cinna will be killed because it will make the readers cry. We love everything about Cinna, he is an easy target to pull our heart strings. I do not believe he will be an avox.

I was shocked to discover that Gale was a pert of the rebellion. He must be to have rescued anyone.

dandyvampgirl_13“If Cinnia's dead I will CRY! That’s... Worse than Dumbledore! At least he was old, Cinnia's too young to die!”
This is exactly why I call him a dead man before all is over.
blasphemous_contessa wrote:So I'm on reread number three and there is a surprising amount of foreshadowing in this novel. Seriously, everyone should reread, knowing what happens and how it ends it will be easier to find clues as to how it ends and what leads us there. For once I'm actually glad for my AP English training.
4000% I agree.

I think book 3 is the people against the capitol. You almost can’t choose not to fight because if you hide, chances are you still die.

Sometimes I am amazed this is a kid’s book.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Okay so in school we read Hamlet, and in one of the speeches Ophelia gives when she's crazy she mentions a whole bunch of flowers, on of them rue, and my teacher was saying that back in Shakespearian days flowers meant something. So I was curious and this is what I found that rue means:
# n.) A perennial suffrutescent plant (Ruta graveolens), having a strong, heavy odor and a bitter taste; herb of grace. It is used in medicine.
# (v. i.) To feel sorrow and regret; to repent.
# (v. i.) To have compassion.
# (n.) Fig.: Bitterness; disappointment; grief; regret.
# (v. t.) To lament; to regret extremely; to grieve for or over.
# (v. t.) Sorrow; repetance.
# (v. t.) To cause to grieve; to afflict.
# (v. t.) To repent of, and withdraw from, as a bargain; to get released from.

Isn't that just the perfect name for Rue? Ohmygoodness it gets her situation down perfectly!
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Woo Hoo! I finally read Catching Fire and I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by the Quarter Quell but once it was announced, I had a feeling somehow, Katniss was going. I'm not surprised by the rebellion, I knew that was coming and it won't surprise me if District 13 becomes the rebellion's stronghold and HAS been for a while...waiting.

As for the love triangle, although I think Katniss cares for Gale, to me their relationship is more familial on Katniss's side. I agree that if she had never gone to the Hunger Games, she would have remained single and Gale would have never been able to convince her otherwise. In some ways, I feel her love for Peeta growing and becoming truly a love of him...who his is and she seems to be accepting of it. I know a few of you earlier think that Peeta will die as a martyr, leaving Katniss with Gale. However, I think the opposite. I think Gale will sacrifice himself...not just for Katniss but for Peeta, leaving Peeta to care for and love Katniss. But that's just my two cents of a prediction. I'm with Dano, I'm no writer, but I agree, I do not think both Peeta and Gale will survive the rebellion. Plus, I also agree that there will be more deaths and some more painful than we've experienced (I personally think Cinna is already dead, poor guy!). Collins isn't afraid to give us the realism of war, that sometimes loved ones don't make it. She's been slowly working us from the first book to the next...so that when the true grim reaping comes in the third, we're better prepared.

Still, I really look forward to the next book, I can't wait to see how this world ends up!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

i am so excited!

I'm also glad to get this notification - I thought my LEX notifications were not working... but they are.

Is there a title for the third book yet? I have not researched it, so I might just be out of the loop
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Nope no title yet, but it's supposed to be announced early next year.
And I heard that the casting for the movie is going to be in January!