General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Post by bac »

Kate wrote: If you give me the permission, I wish to give thanks for those two lines, it makes my day! :)
navarre wrote: They aren't walking around with pitched tents all day
ringswraith wrote:(Brief pause for mental image of Edward attempting to suck out his venom from inside Bella's mouth...)
Thank you for pointing those out. You just made my day too!

And thank you for answering some of the questions. Welcome to the Lex.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

:) Thank you for your greeting! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

SO, sometime in the last year...you all were discussing identity issues and the Cullens covering their tracks as they move from place to place. I was thinking about that and wanted to discuss...

Stephenie's explanation from Personal Cooresp. 6 on the Lexicon's homepage,
The Cullens are criminals. Extensive forgery is definitely a part of their lives. They have to have new birth certificates, driver’s licenses, diplomas, passports, etc., every few years. Carlisle has to keep changing the dates on his certificates. But he does return to school occasionally. The "kids, " too, go to medical school now and then to keep him current. Edward’s been twice, Rosalie once (summa Vulgar Language Is Ugly laude from Columbia). They do pay taxes–the IRS doesn’t check your photograph, they just want your money. Every seventy years or so, they have to fake a death to make that right. It’s very, very complicated. Lucky for them, they’ve got lots and lots of free time with the no sleep thing. And as for being criminals, well, most of them have committed LOTS of murders…

Okay so side stepping the murder issue, (yikes I hate to think of it like that but she's right), don't you think that their ability to forge and deceive would become infinitely more difficult given the computer age??

Umm, hello? My daughter, age 9, has her picture and all of her vitals in the county school board's database. We have a website, where we can log on with her ID number to get her grades. Yeah, her picture pops up with all of her records.

I had to give my thumbprint to renew my driver's license a few years ago. My husband is in the medical field and he had to be fingerprinted and FBI background checked just to get an ID badge to get in the hospital.

Does anyone else seem to think that all of these advances and worldwide availability of information, will make the Cullens ability to play human very VERY hard. They are not going to be able to be the Cullens for very long, at least. I think they will have to create completely new names and everything at some point.

What to do you think?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

VirginiaMay~ It's an intriguing question to say the least. The computer age, data tracking, REAL ID and all of that could definitely complicate things, to be sure. But,the downside to the eAge is that it also increases anonymity. Yes, you have to provide fingerprints and the like, but those databases are computerized. For a vampire with unlimited time and intellectual capacity, not to mention resources, how hard would it be to eventually hack any network in the world and restructure the data to say what she or he needed it to say. I'm pretty sure that at least one, if not all, the Cullens would become an expert hacker in no time, thus becoming the datafixer. Not to mention, as technically "minors", parents should have to give permission for the child's vitals to be stored, pictures to be posted and the like. I don't give my permission for those things. I'm thinking, neither would Carlisle or Esme. So, yes, eventually they may have to start rotating through aliases, their "permanent" identifiers like fingerprints or pictures can be altered easily enough by someone with the know how. Yeah, the eAge is both highly convenient and really fracking scary.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

They don't leave fingerprints in any case, so that's kinda moot. :)

Also, anything they set up is made to look completely legit- they're not giving anyone a reason to doubt why Carlisle's a doctor, why Esme restores buildings, or why the kids are in school. If contact with a human is required, Edward could help Carlisle smooth-talk anyone, Jasper can intimidate anyone, or Alice could see which person would be best for them to approach.

Lastly, let's not forget the power of good old money. And lots of it. ;)

I'm with Jazz Girl on this one- the less "information" about them they have to give up- real or otherwise- the better. I'm sure some records could be "overlooked" because the Cullens (or whatever name they have at the time) are such upstanding moral citizens- I mean, goodness, their dad's a really good doctor!- that there's just no way they'd possibly be guilty of doing anything bad. (/accepts wad of cash) ;)
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ringswraith wrote:They don't leave fingerprints in any case, so that's kinda moot. :)

Which would make providing them for criminal checks more difficult. I'm thinking they would have to come up with some believeable cover story as to why those printed (ie Carlisle for the new hospital ID) would not have them...I'm thinking lab accident with some sort of acid??? Those are those little hurdles I'm sure they are so adept at getting around it's not even 2nd nature anymore.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

For the fingerprint issue… We know they don’t have body oils to let fingerprint on a murder scene… But, are theirs fingers flat? Even if they are made with a material like marble, I believe they have line on theirs palms or extra skin on theirs elbows… (I hope you understand what I mean here… :) It would be funny to see a stranger on the street who have a flat elbow… :) Or no palm line ). So, I believe they have lines on theirs fingers too, but no oils to let a mark… If they have to give theirs fingerprints on a digital board, I think it will work… But that’s only my opinion… :) The real problem will probably be the fact they are this cold…

When I read you, I remembered the description of “the library” in the Cullen house description of the Lexicon:
On the very top floor, there is another “paneled hallway,” (TW16) just like the floor below. The bulk of the space on this floor is taken up with what they refer to as “the library”. Stephenie Meyer explains this as: “This is where they do things that are technically illegal–like document forgery and computer hackery and all kinds of other shady stuff.” (PC8) […] In addition, “there’s also a basement where they keep illicit things. It’s hard to get to, if you’re not a vampire.” (PC8)
With all the nights to hack computer and limitless founds, I believe it’s more difficult nowadays to play the human, but not impossible...

I think they do change name after a certain amount of time… when they change place of residence.

What do you think? :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Hi guys! My dad was one of those computer geeks from the early 1960's, when computers filled a room, and my brother works with the security systems for banks. It really wouldn't be hard for someone who has been in the "systems" for a long time to make false ID's and then use them legitimately. Think of how easily people steal identities now...

As to the finger prints, just like giving blood, that can be faked. All it would take is for Carlisle to work in a morgue and they would be able to get a good latex or digital copy of a Jane or John Doe and then alter it as necessary. I have often taught the children of illegal aliens who have lived here for years without being detected. It's just not that hard to do.
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Kate wrote:
When I read you, I remembered the description of “the library” in the Cullen house description of the Lexicon:
On the very top floor, there is another “paneled hallway,” (TW16) just like the floor below. The bulk of the space on this floor is taken up with what they refer to as “the library”. Stephenie Meyer explains this as: “This is where they do things that are technically illegal–like document forgery and computer hackery and all kinds of other shady stuff.” (PC8) […] In addition, “there’s also a basement where they keep illicit things. It’s hard to get to, if you’re not a vampire.” (PC8)
With all the nights to hack computer and limitless founds, I believe it’s more difficult nowadays to play the human, but not impossible...

I think they do change name after a certain amount of time… when they change place of residence.

What do you think? :)
I had forgotten about the description of the library. I just keep thinking if they have to keep moving every, 7-10 years or something, then mistakes are bound to be made along the lines. Thank goodness for ALice and Edward right?

But, I do agree that while information is readily available in this day and age, it is also entirely corruptible.

theotherStephanie
Wandering Through Town
Location: Really in Washington, sitting under a Madrone tree waiting for Stephenie to finish Midnight Sun

Post by theotherStephanie »

With the whole story line in Breaking Dawn about Jenks and providing falsified documents for Jacob and Renesmee, I had always assumed it was Jasper who was the identity expert in the family. Since Jasper always preferred to "finish" the documents himself, he certainly must know how to use computers to complete the actual documents and plant the corresponding info in the appropriate datebases.
Carlisle's medical transcriptionist
Edward's piano student
Esme's historic restoration research assistant
Alice's wardrobe consultant
Who knew cold hands could be so HOT??!!