Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Victoria

Post by swedishskinjer »

I don't perceive Victoria as a "good" character. During her quest for revenge, she became completely and utterly evil. The Cullen family had no intention of killing James until he started to endanger their well-being by targeting Bella in some twisted game, despite his knowledge about her relationship with the Cullens. If anything, the Cullen family was acting in their defense, since James was preparing to destroy Bella. They didn't kill off Victoria's mate for the hell of it.

Victoria did drag others into her "mission" against the Cullens, including the innocent humans that she infected in Seattle to assemble an army of newborns. I have no sympathy for her after that. She was driven by heated emotions, and took it way too far. She became blinded by rage, despite the fact that the Cullens - particularly Carlisle - didn't relish the thought of killing another vampire. However, they had a cause after James cornered Bella and tried to slaughter her.

They acted out of necessity, not some twisted desire to enthusiastically play along with James and his sadistic game. I know that vampires form a close bond to their mate, but James was a fairly unsympathetic character who struck me as quite warped and despicable. If anything, Victoria was embracing hypocrisy by claiming sadness over the death of James (despite the fact that he started the entire chase) while attempting to do the very thing that she supposedly detested. They were both self-centered and unforgivably bloodthirsty.

They should have left the area after realizing that Bella was with the Cullens. James knew the risks involved with starting a battle with another coven, despite the fact that they never provoked him beyond protecting Bella after he threatened her safety. James was sick and quite fond of tormenting others by nature, as evidenced by his little "game" of chasing Bella and toying around with her. He fully deserved his fate.
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

I loved the idea that she was able to evade capture, and how she was able to stay in the background watching what was going on and act on whatever was being done. But I was a bit confused as to how she knew so much about Alice's gift?
James would've told her ( i guess ) that Alice was able to see things that happened, but would he have known that it had to be a concrete decision, or that if you changed your mind enough times Alice wouldn't be able to see properly what was going on?

Have I missed something really obvious?
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I think the speculation (from Bella, as I recall) is that Laurent, who spent some time with the Denali coven, learned from them of how Alice's gift works and passed it on to Victoria when they were temporarily working together in New Moon.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

oops i hadn't even considered laurent. I think you get something nagging your mind about the saga or a character and you can't 'see the woods for the trees'.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
3dw2rd Cull3n
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 3dw2rd Cull3n »

Victoria could've been cool as a Cullen, she'd beat Rosalie in a meaness conpetition anyday.
3dw2rd cu||3n, biting willing humans since 1 AD
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

So far, this is my favorite backstory from the Guide.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
EverythingRemindsMeOfTwili
Settled in Forks

Post by EverythingRemindsMeOfTwili »

Did anyone's opinions or thoughts about Victoria soften or change at all after reading her backstory in the Guide?

I felt softened toward her....sort of? I guess I'm conflicted a bit.
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side."
michelle
Learning to Love Green

Post by michelle »

EverythingRemindsMeOfTwili wrote:Did anyone's opinions or thoughts about Victoria soften or change at all after reading her backstory in the Guide?

I felt softened toward her....sort of? I guess I'm conflicted a bit.
I am not sure I can sympathize with her. If so, I will have to sympathize with Jane who suffered in her short life as well, and I don't want to. :mrgreen:

Guys, when Victoria speaks to Riley in Eclipse, and Bella describes her voice as "one that goes with blond curls and pink bubble gum", I hadn't realised that it was the first time Bella heard Victoria talking (maybe it confused me the fact that in Twilight the movie Victoria had a couple of lines in front of Bella). All these years I thought that she uses that voice with Riley in order to seduce him. Although it is clarified in the guide (I guess I wan't paying so much attention on this part), was any one else under the same impression, or was it only me?
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I can't remember now. It was all so long ago!
michelle
Learning to Love Green

Post by michelle »

Yeah, you are right! I recently read Eclipse and this is when I realised it. Otherwise I don't think I would have given it so much thought...