A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lost Cullen
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by Lost Cullen »

Wow, its been a long time since I visited the forums, its nice to see that its still just as alive as it always was :)
I know I already send you some opinions StarryEyed but i figured I would put my two cent here too.
And I would love to help anyone with their thesis papers, just PM me.

What does Twilight mean to me?
Twilight to me is "Passion". Passion to be the person that I am, Passion to love, and to care. Passion To dream, that while some things might be physically impossible, they are not so in my dreams. I can imagine myself in a green forest while in fact I'm burning up in southern California. It is that "Passion" that I desire. So I can too, be where I want to be, with my Bella, in a forest. While this is only a dream, Twilight has kept it alive, and soon that "Passion" will be felt physically, no longer just a dream.

How does Twilight affect my life?
I find myself not being ashamed of being a gentlemen. While it might seem stupid, I was ashamed of being what I was, because things are so different in this century, I didn't know how to be with my beliefs that i was thought. Thanks to Twilight (or i should say Edward) I am no longer ashamed of being how I am, because I find that maybe somewhere, there is a place for someone like myself.

What have I learned from Twilight?

I learned that I could do something with my dreams, I can put my stories down. I learned that stories are what the characters make them, and that love and passion drives the characters. I learned that thanks to Stephanie, I learned that I wanted nothing more than to make sense of my own dreams and make them into stories. And I learned that while we might not live in a fantasy world, stories can help us live a better reality.
anthrogal23
Settled in Forks

Post by anthrogal23 »

Hello everyone! I am currently doing my senior research paper on the symbolism of vampires from past and present cultures. I will be looking at the folklore of vampires and compare that to how popular culture has changed the image of the vampire in contemporary cultures. I will be looking at movies and literature to see how vampires are represented in modern cultures. I came across this fansite and I was wondering, if the moderators would allow, if I could have some of the members fill out a survey about vampires. I believe that speaking to the members of your forum will help me understand how the fans of different fandoms view vampires. I understand that privacy is very important, so I will not be asking for any names or personal information, and only those who are interested in taking the survey will take the survey. And once I finish my research paper, I would be more than happy to give copies of the paper and any other information I come across to all those involved. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me and I can answer the question or direct the question to my professor. Thank you for your time and consideration.
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

Anthrogal23, feel free to ask me if you need someone to take your survey. I would love to help anyone who is in need of it. :D

Good luck to everyone doing their thesis! Feel free to PM me anyone if you need something. :D
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I am also open and available to answer any questions. Just pm me. Thanks
Twl_rsch
Settled in Forks

Thesis discussion

Post by Twl_rsch »

We're two girls from Sweden, aged 22 and 30, who really like Twilight and decided to mix business with pleasure when we had to write our bachelor thesis. We study at Stockholm University School of Business and as said we are writing our bachelor thesis about Twilight, more precisely we're studying what is written and talked about Twilight in this type of forum.

We would be very grateful if any of you would be interested in partaking in an interview session that would be conducted online, via MSN or something similar. No tough questions just about your thoughts and feelings about Twilight. The interview would of course be conducted anonymously if so chosen, and no names will be written in the paper.

We're so excited to be doing this and hope that some of you are willing to help us!

And if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

/Amanda & Josefina
unifan3589
Settled in Forks

HI, needing info from twihards for research! Please!

Post by unifan3589 »

Hi there,

I'm currently writing a university dissertation on fan culture and being a twilight fan myself have chosen to focus on the twilight saga. I was hoping that i could get a little help in the way of feedback from anyone who has the time!

-Why have you become so attached to the books and films? or are you more attached to the actors and if so why do you think this is?
-How much merchandise to you buy related to the films and books? If you don't mind please include details?! ;)
-Do you see yourself as a typical consumer or not and why?
-How do you try to show others that you are a fan of the saga, what activites do you particpate in if any?
and finally...
-Are there any other benefits to being a fan other than the enjoyment of the films and books?

Thank you in advance for any responses i receive!
Yours
unifan3589!
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

-Why have you become so attached to the books and films? or are you more attached to the actors and if so why do you think this is?
I guess I've become so attached to the books thanks to the fact that I am able to relate myself to the books. It is also a great way for me to escape into a dream world where I don't have to worry about my problems. I must admit that I am not as attached to the films as I am to the books, though for me, the books are always better.

-How much merchandise to you buy related to the films and books? If you don't mind please include details?! ;)
Hm...I've bot a ton of stuff... Here's a list that I can think of off the top of my head: I have two sets of the books, both movies, five posters, about seven different shirts, a hat (that I got from Forks), three bags, a majority of the Twilight inspired jewelry at Hot Topic and Nordstroms, about twenty Twilight inspired pins, a key chain, the graphic novel, three bumper stickers, a cup that I got from the movie theater with Jacob on it, three calendars... and... all of the scores and soundtracks available... Oh, and a few magazines...

A typical consumer for Twilight? Then if so... maybe... I'm not exactly sure...

-How do you try to show others that you are a fan of the saga, what activities do you participate in if any?
Just by basically being who I am. I'm not afraid of to talk about Twilight with anyone. I've gone to several release parties, and those are always fun. I was at the New Moon DVD release party in Utah when the "human" cast came for a visit. :D

and finally...
-Are there any other benefits to being a fan other than the enjoyment of the films and books?
Well, if there is anything, I have made quite a few good friends out of my obsession over the series. It also has inspired me not to be afraid of writing and creating my own stories. After reading the Twilight series, I started writing fan fictions, which led me to writing my own stories. :D
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
willowtree
Eating Spaghetti with Billy
Location: Kicking butt with her awesome Ninjasissyvildypuceowner!

Post by willowtree »

I would love to take part in any surveys, etc. :D

Personally, I prefer the books waay more than the movies. Books have feelings, you get Bella's thoughts, and you can use your imagination as to what the characters look like.

Well... *looks sheepish*... technically, I didn't BUY anything... I got Eclipse as an Easter present last year, I borrowed the rest of the books from a friend, I got two posters from Christmas, and another poster for free for helping out. :D

Depends what a 'typical consumer' is.

-How do you try to show others that you are a fan of the saga, what activites do you particpate in if any?
I have heated debates with the friend mentioned above about Edward of Jacob (Edward!)... I went to see New Moon the day it came out, waiting outside for one and a half hours in the cold to see it... I did a book report on why Breaking Dawn was my favourite book...

Going on forums like this and meeting some wonderful, wonderful people, all because of a common love of a series. And, like SethisMine said, I write a lot more and have created lots of stories. :D

~h. f. e. l.

-Hanni

(banner=not mine.)
purpledoor64
Settled in Forks

Fun questionnaire for MA Publishing thesis

Post by purpledoor64 »

Please help me write my MA Publishing thesis by filling in my fun questionnaire about what you love about Twilight and Twilight fansites. It should only take ten minutes as it is just tick boxes but it will be such a help for me to hear your opinions. It’s safe for under 16s as it is totally anonymous and the results will not be used for any marketing, this is purely for academic purposes (and your entertainment!).

Here’s the link – it’s 100% legitimate: http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx? ... 2c2e088ccb

If you want more information about my MA Publishing course go to: http://www.lcc.arts.ac.uk/courses/postg ... ishing.htm
TwiAnthropologist
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiAnthropologist »

Hey everyone!

This is all copied and pasted from the introductions forum, but I thought I would announce myself on this thread as well since it seems to be the place for academic research related analysis of the Twilight phenomenon. So, here I am!

My name is TwiAnthropologist, and I am so excited to be a part of this amazing forum! I wanted to let all of you know about a project that I'm working on over the summer.

I am an undergraduate student with a university funded research grant to study the Twilight phenomenon! My mentor is Dr. K, a cultural anthropologist. She has studied major cultural phenomena, from Disney to Harry Potter, and seeks to determine how fan movements come to exist. As her student researcher, I am eager and ready to learn more about anthropological methodology.

Over the summer, I will be looking for some of the ways that Twilight fans identify themselves and categorize their worlds. I will be collecting information about Twilight literature, merchandise, websites, films, and events. But most importantly, I will be interacting with fans, both online and in person. I cannot wait for the midnight screening of Eclipse on June 30, and I will definitely be attending a Twilight Convention later in the summer!

But, I will be needing your help. To tell you the truth, I am new to this whole "Twi-world." When I found out about my summer project, I finished up my finals and came home to read the entire Twilight Saga. Although I have never been a major fan of anything before, I have to say that I was mesmerized. I spet hours at a time reading those books, and of course I devoured the movies...three times. I will be blogging every day with updates and tidbits about my findings--and I look forward to hearing what you think!

My blog is already up and running, with a few weeks of research already documented. Please take a look at http://www.twianthro.wordpress.com. I would love your comments

I'm not going to ask any specific questions--anthropology research (or at least the kind that I'm doing) is more about immersing oneself in a certain culture in order to understand it. So, I'll be around the site a lot just making conversation about everything Twilight related. That being said, I would love for you to tell me what you think I should be looking for, or what you feel is most important about the Twilight saga. Your comments on my blog would be super helpful, because that will help me figure out if I'm getting it right, or if I'm totally off base! Can't wait to get started.

Lots of love,
TwiAnthropologist