Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by Brienna »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?
I always thought it was just because she wanted to stop thinking about anything/anyone related to Jake. It's her wedding day, she doesn't want to think about things that make her sad!

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?
I was with Bella on thinking it was out of consideration for Leah. I think she attended the wedding to keep an eye on her son (even though she couldn't protect him in any way) and out of moral support for Billy, since they are both tribe elders.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?
I think he just sees Edward as an dangerous monster. So the thought of a physical relationship would be to much for him.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

Haven't got a clue and really don't care :lol:

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
She knows her human family members are (relatively) happy now. And she hopes it'll stay that way.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Una for providing this discussion for us!

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

I think; because she didn't want to carry on thinking about her best friend, she let her mind wander thinking about him, then repressed it when she realized it hurt to think about him. I personally don't think that it was any thing to do with predicting what was going to happen.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

She chopped off her hair as a sign of solidarity with her daughter. She attended to support Billy and to watch over Seth.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

Two reasons really, and I think each one carries equal weight with him. He is very jealous, he looks on a physical relationship as the only thing he can give Bella, that Edward can't. The thought of Edward getting to have sex with her while she is still human, is too much to bare. The other; obviously he does not want her to get hurt.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

Probably Carlisle's Merc, but I so want it to be the Vanquish! lol

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
This scene gives her hope, that they can all be o.k when she can no longer be with them.
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

I think she chopped of her hair to support Leah. It can't be easy for her to be the only female in the pack. She attended the wedding to protect her son, and to a lesser extent, Billy.
It may seem ridiculous, as Seth as a werewolf would be much more dangerous as a werewolf, than what Sue could inflict as a human. But a mother's instinct to protect her children runs far deeper than the solidarity of the pack. Look at what Bella would do for Renesemee. Both women would lay down their lives for their children. And if that means going to a wedding where she would be surrounded by her 'enemies', then Sue would do it.

Because he would have thought that Edward would have killed her, however unintentional it was. As Bella points out in the book, Jacob is obsessed with every passing second that she stays 'alive'. The threat of being killed on your honeymoon would have far outweighed the ricks of being 'turned' weeks after the honeymoon.

Plus, i also think that Jacob refused to believe that Edward and Bella could ever be that intimate with each other, whilst Bella was still human. He wanted Bella to fall in love with him, that he would be the one to make love to her. So to know that Bella fully intended on consummating her marriage to Edward must have been heartbreaking for him.

I always had in my mind that it was Edward's car.

I think she felt hopeful in the sense that 'love prevails' and that she won't be leaving another mess behind her.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

Because thinking about Jacob was painful.

She probably cut off her hair to support Leah, and I imagine she'd rather be at the wedding and keep an eye on Seth than let him go alone and worry about what could happen.

Because a) now he has to imagine Edward having sex with the girl he, Jacob, loves, and b) because he knows how powerful and strong vampires are, and can't believe Bella is being so naive that she'd put herself in such a vulnerable position.

Either Edward's Volvo or the Aston Martin.

Because the wedding day was so much better than she was dreading it to be, and all her hopes and dreams seemed about to come true!