Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Post by corona »

Openhome wrote:After reading all the Nessie thoughts, I can understand why SM decided to go with Mermaids or aliens again. She kinda wrote herself into a rather risqué corner there!
Mermaids are pretty safe. I kinda felt sorry for Tom Hanks there at the end of Splash. I wonder how long it took him to figure that one out? Didn't he get a pretty good gander at her when she was in the tank? Sheesh, he'd have had better luck giving Tanya a shot, at least she smells good.

Soul girls are easy, though. They'll buy any line you throw at them.

P.S. Smitten, I should have commented earlier on one of your statements, I somehow forgot:
smitten_by_twilight wrote:But along the lines of Nessie not sailng with anyone until she is around 10 years old ... I think you are looking more through Edward's eyes than Nessie's.
That right there I think gets to the very crux of the matter.

I don't think you would have many potential issues at all if this was a story originally set between Nessie and Jacob. The fantasy concept of a very young but very mature hybrid wouldn't as difficult to relate to if the emphasis had always been on Nessie, like the TW series was on Bella.

However, the Nessie story comes after Bella's story, and because of that I identify most strongly with Bella and Edward. I therefore cannot think of Nessie without thinking first of their parents. Nessie, to me, will always be B&E's daughter, and all of us had front row seats at her delivery. When I think of Bella, however, I think of her and Edward, I don't think of her primarily as Charlie's daughter.

I think that's the issue with Nessie (for me), I was there at her birth and I always think of her as B&E's daughter, and therefore always as a child needing protection. That's not really fair to her, but I can't help seeing Edward's viewpoint on this one. That's going to be a real challenge for SM, because Nessie has to have her own identity, but Edward isn't going to play his father role like Charlie did. Edward is going to hover.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

corona wrote:I think that's the issue with Nessie (for me), I was there at her birth and I always think of her as B&E's daughter, and therefore always as a child needing protection. That's not really fair to her, but I can't help seeing Edward's viewpoint on this one. That's going to be a real challenge for SM, because Nessie has to have her own identity, but Edward isn't going to play his father role like Charlie did. Edward is going to hover.
Yeah, that hovering's going to be an issue. He can't really help hovering, either, because he can't help reading her mind if he's within 3 miles of her. I wonder if she's going to be annoyed like most of the rest of the family, or if she'll just accept it because that's how it's always been?

Anyway, the hovering would definitely be one factor in Nessie maybe not being overeager to act on any hormonal impulses ... or maybe not even think about hormonal impulses.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:Yeah, that hovering's going to be an issue. He can't really help hovering, either, because he can't help reading her mind if he's within 3 miles of her. I wonder if she's going to be annoyed like most of the rest of the family, or if she'll just accept it because that's how it's always been?

Anyway, the hovering would definitely be one factor in Nessie maybe not being overeager to act on any hormonal impulses ... or maybe not even think about hormonal impulses.
I'm sure that Nessie will eventually find that mind reading very inconvenient at times. ;)

As for Edward's "hovering", I see two big problems with that. The first is that difficulty of being able to see Nessie as an individual rather than the child of B&E, which creates difficulties when developing a romantic plot between Ness and Jake. The second problem might actually be the biggest though. Edward and Bella are superstars. Renesmee is not a superstar. Stephenie has to find a way to turn her into one.

Seriously, if SM ever publishes another TW book, no one is really going to care about Nessie, at least at first. Everyone is going to wait for Edward or Bella to make their entrance. It doesn't really matter if they are supposed to be just supporting characters for the next series. Edward and Bella just aren't supporting characters, they will never "move on" in their lives, they will always be forever young and forever madly in love with each other. How in the world do you upstage that?

Maybe that is what SM was thinking about when she said she might tell the next story from Leah's point of view. We could then follow the story of Ness and Jake and Edward and Bella, but from a more disinterested perspective. You could then have all sorts of drama going on with those couples, but not have it be the central part of your story. And when Nahuel shows up, he starts taking more of an interest in Leah.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

corona wrote: Seriously, if SM ever publishes another TW book, no one is really going to care about Nessie, at least at first. Everyone is going to wait for Edward or Bella to make their entrance. It doesn't really matter if they are supposed to be just supporting characters for the next series. Edward and Bella just aren't supporting characters, they will never "move on" in their lives, they will always be forever young and forever madly in love with each other. How in the world do you upstage that?
Puppies!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Bwahaha!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Good grief. Puppies. I just threw up a little in my mouth. :dizzy: :sick:

Speaking of puppies, my wife is taking care of a sweet little Yorkie pup for the next few days. She had bought a couple of Maltipoos (Maltese/Poodle hybrid) from a local breeder, and the breeder called her up and wanted to know if she wanted a little Yorkie for free. We are finding a home for it. On her way back that little pup got sick out of both ends and she had to detour directly to our vet. $200 later...grrr. Some things just aren't "free". This little pup also has a floating patella that is common among the toy breeds and will need an operation to correct it in about 6 to 12 months. That will run, oh, about one cool grand, but it will be someone else's problem by that time. Thank God that operation isn't needed right away, because my wife is a mush for puppies and would have paid it out. The cuter they are the more dangerous it gets, and the next thing you know all of the Christmas money is gone.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I know what you mean, Corona! I swear, my pets are more expensive than my kids. At least the kids are covered by insurance and will one day have jobs.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Corona, I so agree, taking care of sweet cute pets is always bad... i couldn't part from them... I have been begging my bf for a dog for more than a year now, so if somebody showed up with a pup asking me to watch it they won't get it back!!!
corona wrote:Maybe that is what SM was thinking about when she said she might tell the next story from Leah's point of view. We could then follow the story of Ness and Jake and Edward and Bella, but from a more disinterested perspective.
I'm hoping she will write Leah's story... the woman needs a happy ending... I don't think it's fair that Bella gets to ne a classic martyr with a happy ending where Leah is getting non...
smitten_by_twilight wrote:Anyway, the hovering would definitely be one factor in Nessie maybe not being overeager to act on any hormonal impulses ... or maybe not even think about hormonal impulses
In general I think that kids who are kept too tight, and are being too controled by their parents tend to rebel earliers... I know that I would be horrified is my dad heard my thoughts, especially during THOSE moments but if Renesmee is a little like Bella she'll be stubborn and probably more prone to rebel from what her parents think is good for her...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Openhome wrote:I know what you mean, Corona! I swear, my pets are more expensive than my kids. At least the kids are covered by insurance and will one day have jobs.
We have thought about getting pet insurance, but it is very expensive. There were some years, though, that it would have been cheaper.
marielle wrote:Corona, I so agree, taking care of sweet cute pets is always bad... i couldn't part from them... I have been begging my bf for a dog for more than a year now, so if somebody showed up with a pup asking me to watch it they won't get it back!!!
We have pet shelters here where you can pick one up for free. My wife posted a picture of the little yorkie on Sunday, and we had several calls that morning. The yorkie has a good home now, a retired lady that lost her yorkie companion about two months ago. The pet shelters may be a better bet, since they should be upfront with you about any issues that a dog has. My wife was upfront about the issue that this little yorkie had, but other people posting out on craiglist-type websites may not be as honest, just wanting to get rid of the dog. Breeders will cost you, but some also provide guarantees against health defects for the first few years (regardless, they should always be healthy, that is one of the main reasons why people go to breeders). Sadly, the fate of many pups like we had is that the breeder will simply put them down, since their vet costs may exceed the price of a healthy pup, and any pup that has health issues normally doesn't come with papers since they shouldn't be used for breeding.
marielle wrote:I'm hoping she will write Leah's story... the woman needs a happy ending... I don't think it's fair that Bella gets to ne a classic martyr with a happy ending where Leah is getting non...
I think sometimes about Leah, too. I think a story from her viewpoint would be very interesting. I've wondered whether Jacob would simply take off with Nessie and leave the alpha duties to her, but I think she and and maybe Seth would go with him. There would be some very interesting twists in that plot, and she and Bella are destined to become step-sisters one day, right?
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

corona wrote:OK, maybe also at the wedding I would have parted ways too. a) I would have ripped off Jacob's head, and b) I would have danced with Tanya...close...two can play that game. No, no, no, no, no, Bella, we're just very good, very close friends. Oh stop it Bella, don't you understand that she's in pain?
Oooh, buddy! And Rob's latest interview suggests he isn't as gracious with Jacob being there as he is in the book, and that he does go off and dance with...Tanya! Rob had had enough and changed some things up.

If this turns out in the movie like Rob said, you can PM me my Alice award for fearless prognostication.