Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Jazz Girl »

MoonlessNight~ I actually had a very interesting exchange on a plane just last week. I make no secret of my Twi-Obsession, in fact, I wear it proudly. Last week, I was on a plane from DC to Providence for a work conference. As we were boarding, the woman seated across from me (who appeared to me a seasoned traveller but I digress) asked me about the requirements of turning off an iPad. As I glanced across the aisle at her, I noticed she had a book open on her iPad. As I let her know that she would in fact have to actually turn off her iPad, not just put it in Plane Mode, I noticed that the book was Fifty Shades. I laughed a bit, weighed my options and then continued the conversation. I said to her that I had happened to notice the title of her book and I didn't blame her for not wanting to miss any reading time. She blinked a minute, clearly a bit... not put off but concerned that I recognized her choice of reading material. Then I think it occurred to her that I had to have read it and enjoyed it to have that opinion. Thus she asked the obvious question, "have you read it?" I laughed when she referred to the book as "it", because to me, it kind of indicated that she didn't want to actually name the book. But, I didn't bat an eye and told her that not only had I read it, I had read it in its' original form. She actually had no idea what that meant, so I went on to explain to her the world of fanfic, where it can be found, how it's posted and so on. We even discussed the controversy around whether or not fics should be properly published. Of course, the conversation was cut quite short when the captain informed us we could resume our reading. We picked up the conversation as soon as we were told to pack away our readers. Her initial response was, 'let me get this straight, these two characters are based on the teenagers from that YA vampire series?' to which I could only nod and laugh. I love what I love, whether it's The Saga or other fanfiction stories. If people want to think I should feel some sort of shame, well then, that's their own issue, not mine.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote: I love what I love, whether it's The Saga or other fanfiction stories. If people want to think I should feel some sort of shame, well then, that's their own issue, not mine.
And we love you all the more for that, Caryn. Really we do! :hug:
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

JG wrote:I love what I love, whether it's The Saga or other fanfiction stories. If people want to think I should feel some sort of shame, well then, that's their own issue, not mine.
Ditto, hon. We've disagreed on this point, but I value you and your opinion always, and respect the heck out of you for always being yourself so boldly. I suspect I will still be working on that aspect of my character when I am in a nursing home.

BTW, they are mentioning Fifty more and more on the West Coast, apparently this trend travelled that way. My morning radio show has mentioned it rather gratuitously two days in a row, without any fanfic/Twilight context. I suspect their wives are reading it. Makes me grumpy :glare:
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Oh holy hell!!! I seriously couldn't resist. You KNOW that Ellen will bring this up when Rob and/or Kris next visit her set in November. That is a conversation I cannot WAIT to hear!!

Ellen Degeneres Reads Fifty Shades of Gray

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
MoonlessNight
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonlessNight »

Jazz Girl,

I love your plane story! She probably got nervous because she thought you were going to go into graphic details about the book. When my hairdresser brought it up, I thought the conversation was going that way, and I kind of clammed up. I may like to read lemons, but I'm a bit too shy to talk about the scenes with others.

BTW, I have seen it all. On my way home from work, I pass a store that sells...adult novelties. There is now a large sign on the window that says "Fifty Shades of Grey Toys Sold Here".
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

MoonlessNight wrote: BTW, I have seen it all. On my way home from work, I pass a store that sells...adult novelties. There is now a large sign on the window that says "Fifty Shades of Grey Toys Sold Here".

:shock: :o :rotfl: Oh. My. Gods!!! That is just priceless!! When I heard the promo for the Dr Oz episode discussing how FSoG could be the savior of middle-aged women's sex lives, I was simultaneously rolling on the floor and completely disgusted. I just want to scream, "don't you people GET IT???" And I have to remind myself that, no, they don't. A sad but true fact.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
newborntwifan
Wandering Through Town

Post by newborntwifan »

Am I the only person in the country that hasn't read it? I was just discovering fic when MOTU was pulled, so I didn't read it then, and the FSoG excerpts I've read here and there are kind of cringe-worthy (IMHO--no disrespect to anyone who is a fan). The idea doesn't seem that original to me either. In just about every fic, there is an adopted and damaged Edward and a sheltered, naive Bella. Even the BDSM aspect isn't original as far as I can tell. Like I said, these are my perceptions. I haven't read it, so maybe I really shouldn't be so critical. Just thinking someone who has been around the fandom and fic longer than I have might be able to shed some light...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Last night I added some fanfiction to my thumb drive since it takes me forever to read and I looked at how many I have, almost 150. Holy smokies that is all recs from RoaR site and on this thread. I'll be 80 and still reading about E&B. :lol: Thats ok by me though I love those two!
Banner by TammyAZ
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Hey guys! Long time no write :) So I never read Master of the Universe as a fanfic because sub/dom isn't my thing. None of my friends know I read fanfiction, but of course no one has stopped talking about Fifty Shades -- some hate it, some love it. I borrowed the first book from a friend and just want to know if I guessed the Twilight counterparts right:

Ana & Christian: Bella & Edward (duh)
Kate: Rosalie
Elliot: Emmett
Mia: Alice
Ethan: Jasper
Carrick & Grace: Carlisle & Esme
Jose: Jake
Ray: Charlie
Carla: Renee
Bob: Phil
Paul: Mike

I only read the first book which ends with her breaking it off with him. I'm going to guess "Mrs. Robinson" is Tanya? Who is his shrink? And wow, I don't know how people read it in public, my cheeks were red as freaking cherries through those x rated scenes.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Amanda you guessed right! :)
Banner by TammyAZ