Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Justin Chon as Eric Yorkie

Post by Pel »

A place to discuss Justin
nikie_nikz
Wandering Through Town

Re: Justin Chon as Eric Yorkie

Post by nikie_nikz »

I once thought to myself, "Why aren't there any Asians on the set?" After seeing Justin Chon as Eric Yorkie, now I'm thinking, "They should have left the Asian kid out. He looks oddly out of place." I never pictured Eric being Asian, and not to mention, the last name Yorkie isn't exactly Asian either. So why him? Why not someone else? Why did they choose to have an asian kid portray Eric?
"What fools these mortals be!"
ltxc
Wandering Through Town

Post by ltxc »

^Dude...I get you!
I was like...umm...isn't Eric supposed to be kinda ugly? But Justin's cute! -_-;;
Plus, like you...I was like, why is Eric Yorkie Asian?
'-'
Not that I have a problem with that since I'm Asian, but I thought that was kinda weird.
|:|:|:avatar credits:|:|:| drunk_machine & sarahdoesdesign
nikie_nikz
Wandering Through Town

Post by nikie_nikz »

I'm Asian myself, but I look more Spanish/Indian. Justin Chon being in the movie gives me hope that maybe I could be casted as a background character for the next Twilight. My goal is to be in one of them someday, and we'll see how that pans out :D
Miss Vengeance
Wandering Through Town

Post by Miss Vengeance »

I feel bad because when I first heard he was cast I thought, "They cast Wendy Wu's brother as Eric?"

I didn't really picture him as Asian, but oh well. I pictured Tyler with blond hair and look how that turned out, haha. I never really thought that Eric was ugly...I just figured he wasn't as cute as the rest of the boys. Like he was cute, but in that nerdy kind of way.
nikie_nikz
Wandering Through Town

Post by nikie_nikz »

I hope they didn't just stereotype cast an Asian to play the class nerd or geek. That's so cliche.
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

mhm. kinda racist.

But honestly thats not how I pictured him at all. It's going to take a while to get used to.
Edward-Bella-forever
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward-Bella-forever »

Not to sound racist or anything, but I didn't think he was asian. I think asians are cool though, so... yeah lol kinda funny now that I read the books and picture him asian now. Lol
"And he smiled my favorite crooked smile..."Image
Old username known as: Edward_and_Bella_forever
Heroes: "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."
netnut
Wandering Through Town

Post by netnut »

nikie_nikz wrote:I hope they didn't just stereotype cast an Asian to play the class nerd or geek. That's so cliche.
i agree. i have a feeling thats what it came down to though, & the need to fit an asian in the cast just so it could be diverse. honestly, the casting crew loses some points for this. I mean, wouldn't stephanie meyer had described eric yorkie as being asian in the book from bella's pov when she first met him? just to give our imaginations a little something to base off-of when creating characters in our heads?
Last edited by netnut on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikie_nikz
Wandering Through Town

Post by nikie_nikz »

netnut wrote:...the need to fit an asian in the cast just so it could be diverse. honestly, the casting crew loses some points for this.
It's great that they are trying to make the cast culturally diverse, but they should at least stay consistent to the descriptions of the characters in the book. Anyone could play a dorky, nerdy character. It didn't necessarily need to be an Asian, but oh well. More power to Justin Chon for being casted into the movie though. I want so bad to be on the set of the movie as an extra.