A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SeleneCullen
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by SeleneCullen »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I first, I didn't. But when read books, I become the characters. Especially, what got my attention is that it was a first person POV. And that to me, leads me to be the character in the book. I identified with her the most, how mature she was and she'd do anything for the sake for her mother...even if it means living in a different place than she does.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Renee, as bellas mom, great. Charlie is sweet. I kinda felt so sorry for the guy.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Nice, But i always liked Angela better.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Very intrigued. I don't know why, At first when he kept saying the was a bad person, what if he wasn't the hero. I thought his family was on drugs or something. haha. I had no idea the book was about vamps/ I saw the cover, and wanted to read it.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
Like I said, I thought he was a druggy. haha.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was intrigued in the chapter when she gets to school and she sees the shiny volvo. :)
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Personally, I didn't think mutch of her character at first. All I did understand is how nervous she was abotu moving, and going to a new school, I have been through that many times.

2. They seemed like normal parents, and people. They did bore me a bit.

3. All normal friends. Though they acted differently toward Bella, since she was something "new", as if they hadn't seen someone new in centuries.

4. I was very interested to find out more, even though the back covor of the book told me everything I needed to know, I was still interested.

5. I just thought he was being rude, or was afraid. It didn't really hit me right away the way he was acting, so I didn't add much thought to the subject.

6. Not really. It took all little more, like when Edward actually talked, for me to be hooked.
Edward's Vampheart
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward's Vampheart »

I didn't do these Chapter-by-chapter things on the original Lex but I thought I'd give it a go:

1. Yeah, I think I found a few simliarities between Bella and myslef pretty early. I love the sun, don't relate that well to people at school and am pretty quiet. Those are the ways in which I'm sorta like Bella.

2. My first impressions of Renee and Charlie were that they acted civilized towards one another even though they are separated. This I liked. Also that obviously Charlie wasn't really made out to be a father and was slightly uncomfortable with the idea of Bella coming to live with him. He took it in his stride though which is good for him.

3. My first impressions on the friends that Bella meets:
Eric - Kinda geeky, obviously smitten with the newcomer.
Jess - Likes attention.
Mike - Typical High School hottie.
Angela - The quiet reserved type.

4. I think I was more intruiged than scared of Edward. He seemed so mysterious at the beggining, I just wnated to know more!

5. I thought Edward's odd behaviour was kind of mean. From his point of view it's different but if I had been in Bella's position I would have felt really hurt and slef-conscious.

6. Yes, this chapter did hook me to the book. I'm not sure what it is but something about Stephenie's writing just lures you into the story. Also the mystery surrounding Edward just had to be resolved! I was hooked from the very beggining!

^^^ Banner by the amazing Sparkles!

Proud lover of the Jonas Brothers!

If you want to add me on MSN send me a PM!
Twilight_girl15
Wandering Through Town

Post by Twilight_girl15 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
i did relate to Bella right away because my parents are devorced and I live my dad i also have very pale skin and brown hair (at the time anyway now its black) i do blush a lot and i dont like being in the lime lite or center of attion what ever flots your boat and I am very shy so i can really relate to just about everything but I am very comfortable with my dad amd I really dont like my mom so

Renee was very scatter-brained to me
Charlie was very quiet and layed back and uncomfortable showing emotion

they were i think trying too hard and sorta annoying

i was intrigued by him because the wat he was decribed

i was a little courious as to why he was very ridged in his seat and how he glared at her

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
well it didn't hook me at first ut when she when to school i was hooked
Just when you think things can't get any worse.....they do.
But....I've learned that life is like hour glass sand.
Sooner or later, everything hits rock bottom,
but all you have to do is be patient and wait
for something to turn everything around.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

No, I am a guy so I didn't exactly relate to her.
Renee- More child than adult, but still loving and caring. Charlie- Inexperienced parent, shy, i felt bad for him:P
Jess- attention seeking, talks a lot
Mike- jock, simply, shallow
Eric- desperate, geek, still kinda nice
Angela- I like Angela the best, quiet, truthfully, reserved
I was intrigued by Edward, but not in the same way that Bella was lol. I was intrigued by the mystery he presented, not by his looks lol. Again I'm a guy lol.
I was confused. At that point we don't know much about Edward or vampire behavior, so I wasn't sure if he was just hostile to everyone or he had some other aversion to Bella that we didn't yet know about.
Yes I was hooked. I loved the writing style and it presented me with an unsolved mystery to delve into.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I did...My parents are divorced and I rarely saw my dad when I was growing up, so there was that. And the fact that I love Washington, so the fact that she was going to Forks was interesting, too.

Renee seemed like an airhead, really, and Charlie like the complete opposite!

They all seemed so silly. All those boys instantly wanting to ask her out and all those girls talking trash...but I guess that's something we all have/had to deal with right?

OK, maybe I'm as weird as he thought Bella was, but I was totally intrigued through it all, even the crazy first day in Bio.

I figured he'd have to explain himself somehow. That's one of the millions of reasons I'm so excited for Midnight Sun!!!

Oh no. Chapter 1 sucked me in like it's nobody's business. :) I was HOOKED.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
~xStRaWbErRyx~
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ~xStRaWbErRyx~ »

yes, I did. I too would feel really awkward starting at a new school where i didn't know anyone.

Charlie seemed really distant and reserved.
I thought Renee seemed a little selfish, but thats just my opinion :roll:

I thought they seemed quite nice, and helpful. Bella was lucky to have people helping her fit in.

I was interested in the character...
Thanks to the blurb though, I already knew what he was :roll:

see above

It wasn't THAT hooking, but it was enough to keep me reading :)
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

In some small way I did relate to Bella right away. Bella initially went to Forks to live with Charlie, as a means of giving Renee what she thought she needed. Bella was so used to taking care of Renee, even though Renee was the adult in the scenario, and Bella felt that Renee needed to be set free, so to speak, of the responsibility of caring for her teenage child so she could go to Florida and live her life with her new husband. Bella acted very selflessly, because she wanted to do what was best for Renee. That is the reason I related to Bella somewhat, because I think I would do the same thing if I felt it were for the betterment of someone I loved. Not that I am that selfless or anything, but I would like to think that I would do something I didn't necessarily want to do, if it were to help my mother have a better life.

I felt initially that Renee was not so much the adult in she and Bella's relationship. It seemed to me that, as a young adult, and probably all of her life, Bella spent her time taking care of Renee. Renee came across as somewhat selfish to me, although I believed she loved Bella very much. Charlie, on the other hand, appeared to be feeling awkward with the whole situation. Charlie loves Bella, but he doesn't really know how to show it. You could tell that he has only spent summers and some holidays with his daughter.

I felt that some of them were going to be good friends to her, no matter what, and some, like Lauren, were very transparent. I did initially get the impression that Angela was going to be a good friend for her, and that she would have a hard time getting through to Mike that she wasn't looking for a boyfriend in him.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? I was very intrigued. I can see why Bella was intrigued from the first moment that she saw he and his family.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I didn't really know what to make of it. From the descriptions of he and his family, my first thought was that they were vampires. However, I couldn't put my finger on why he acted so oddly toward Bella.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? Oh no, I was hooked from the very first chapter. Actually I didn't really know much about the books, or the hoopla that surrounded them, until after I finished reading all of them.
beautifulworld
Settled in Forks

Post by beautifulworld »

Part of me related to her, because when I was reading it, I was also going through a huge change in life (graduated from college, moving away from my hometown). And I've spent a lot of my life feeling like I was different from other people, or like I didn't always fit in. When she said, "Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain", I definitely felt like I related to her.

At first, I definitely thought that Renee was a terribly irresponsible adult. Not so much that she let her daughter leave, because a lot of parents would do that, if their child was old enough to make that decision. I got the impression that she really depended on Bella for a lot, because she really didn't seem to want Bella to leave. I thought Charlie was really interesting. It's apparent that he really cares about Bella and loves her, but he just has a really hard time showing it. I couldn't really tell if he would be the kind of parent that would just let their child do their own thing (which is how he turned out), or if he would be someone who would involve himself in everything she did.

I thought some of them were nice, and it must have been nice for Bella to have people to talk to, but I honestly found many of them annoying. I just think it would be annoying to have Mike following me around like a puppy dog all day. But, I know he liked her, and I know he meant well. Jessica was interesting, but she was such a gossip. I just wasn't sure that Bella would fit in with all of them. But, I was definitely glad that people were taking her under their wings.

Oh, I was definitely intrigued. Even when he was so angry. I mean, when he started acting all weird and mad, I was kinda scared about why he was acting like that, but I was still very interested in him and what was going to happen. I was especially interested when Jessica showed obvious disappointment in being rejected by him

I think mainly I thought that he was just angry all the time. But, it was so weird when they were in the lunchroom and he looked at Bella like there was an expectation that wasn't being satisfied. I had no idea what kind of expectation he could possibly have. Also, when he was smiling to himself, I just didn't get what he was thinking. I just found him very interesting because he was so odd.

I was already hooked. There was just something about the story, and by then I wanted to know what was going to happen. Also, because of all the hype that I had been exposed to before reading the books, I had a motivation to keep reading, because I wanted to know what all the hype was about.
xCONSPiRACYX11
Settled in Forks

Post by xCONSPiRACYX11 »

yes i related to bella right away im kind of shy and im a HUGE klutz. we both have brown hair

i liked them both they both seeemed really nice but at first renee kind of annoyed me i dont know why though. I really like charlie i thought he was very nice and easy to live with

they all seemed very nice and accepting.altough at first i though eric and mike were maybe a litttle too nice

i was intrigued by edward cullen actually i was intrigued by all of them i thought were interesting and i wanted to know more

i thought it was odd. i actually felt the same way bella did. if was in the same situation i would have probably done the same thing

the preface hooked me!