Gex X--the 30 something thread

Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Variety »

Sometimes I go shopping on Black Friday, but I never "need" to. Most of my Christmas shopping is done well before Thanksgiving. All I have left to pick up for this year are clothes, boots and shoes my kids need. For me, Black Friday is mostly about people-watching, an occasional great deal, and the only chance I have to shop without kids all year. Well, now that my youngest is in school, that's not so important, and I didn't go out next year. When I do go out, I get all excited and have a hard time sleeping all night, thinking I'm not going to wake up in time to go. I guess I should decide if I'm going this year or not. Tips for making the morning go smoothly - wear layers, pack light, wear gloves and ear muffs, take food and water bottles (even to keep in the car - so you don't spend more on food), and I even take a book to read, although I don't read much as I'm usually talking to other people in line. The only thing I really hate about Black Friday is the couples who take their little kids and babies, who are woken up early, cold and hungry, and don't have any say in the matter.

Holiday treats - I usually make different things every year, but one thing I do make more often than most is peanut butter Kiss cookies. Soft PB cookies are my favorite. Unfortunately, hubby HATES all things peanut butter, and won't even kiss me if I eat them.

My favorite Christmas thing that someone else makes - my G. Grandma's wassail. Sadly, she never followed the recipe, and the recipe just isn't the same. And since she passed away several years ago, I can never learn it from her. No one else knows how to make it, so I haven't had it for almost 8 years.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Variety wrote:Holiday treats - I usually make different things every year, but one thing I do make more often than most is peanut butter Kiss cookies. Soft PB cookies are my favorite. Unfortunately, hubby HATES all things peanut butter, and won't even kiss me if I eat them.

:shock: How do you cope? I don't think I could survive! Peanut butter is a mainstay for me (thank goodness it's something you can get with no added sugar) but that might be due to the fact that I do not like chocolate. I know, I know, I'm anti-feminine.... :roll: But then again, peanut butter stays with you, like garlic or onions or even coffee. Takes a few breath mints or something else to "clean the palette."

I know this was a fun question I asked my Dad one time. What candies that were treasured by you in your childhood do they no longer make? I remember Fun Dips. I haven't seen them in forever so I am not sure they make them anymore, but I have ALWAYS loved them. They were better than, oh - we called them fairy dust, oh yeah, Pixie sticks.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

una wrote: What candies that were treasured by you in your childhood do they no longer make?
My favorite was Tart n Tinys. I can never find them any more or Everlasting Gobstoppers, I loved them too! Some of the random stuff makes a comback at Halloween. I'll have to check my boys' goody bags on Halloween :twisted:
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

una,

I think you can still find Fun Dips. I remember seeing them recently at Walgreens or CVS. One of them anyway.

inspired,

I remember Tart and Tiny's. I have not seen them in forever. You can still find Gobstoppers though.

I remember Marathon candy bars. They were chocolate with caramel inside. But they were shaped kind of like a leather beltflat with a bunch of holes in the middle.

Another thing that only comes out at Halloween is the cereal. Count Chocula, Boo Berry, and Frankenberry. Sickening sweet and pure sugar but they are yummy!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I'm heading to Halifax this weekend and there's a specialty candy store that sells all the classics. I'll see if i can get there and snap some photos for you guys.

I used to love Jelly Tots and swedish fish. My grampie would give us $2 every Sunday...$1 for God and $1 for candy. I always spent mine on Jelly Tots and penny candy.

sigh...penny candy...those were the days.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Una like you I am not a chocolate lover. I use to have a fixation for Twix bars but only for the caramel.

oleanderpenny candy love them, I remember going to my grandmother's and this one store I could get a whole bag full for a buck. Those were the days.

Fun dips were the best, I think they are still around but you have to hunt, swedish fish are awesome and I remember the candy necklaces. I also loved getting the dots (they were lined up on a huge strip of paper).

Does anyone remember rock candy, I know they still make it but that stuff was good.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

skylarblue wrote:Does anyone remember rock candy, I know they still make it but that stuff was good.
I actually picked up some green rock candy for LG's Christmas stocking this year in a package labeled "Frog Legs."

Not liking chocolate is just sick and wrong!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

una wrote:I love Christmas, it is my favorite time of year. I can't wait until the local jazz station plays Christmas music 24-7 starting the day after Thanksgiving. I LOVE decorating my house. I spend all day (the day after Thanksgiving) getting the tree up, decorated and other decorations up. I play "A Christmas Story" and "Nightmare before Christmas" while I do this. I have SUCH fun! I'm already starting to shake with excitement! :D (we need a spazzing out smilie)
Oh My Gosh! You are most definitely my SuperTwin. I saw my first Christmas commercial of the year yesterday and had to text my neighbor. It was dark at 6pm today. I love it. I love holiday season.
Variety wrote:When I do go out, I get all excited and have a hard time sleeping all night, thinking I'm not going to wake up in time to go. I guess I should decide if I'm going this year or not. Tips for making the morning go smoothly - wear layers, pack light, wear gloves and ear muffs, take food and water bottles (even to keep in the car - so you don't spend more on food), and I even take a book to read, although I don't read much as I'm usually talking to other people in line. The only thing I really hate about Black Friday is the couples who take their little kids and babies, who are woken up early, cold and hungry, and don't have any say in the matter.
I've done the Black Friday thing 2 years in a row. 2 years ago I went with a group of girlfriends. We shopped for 13 hours straight. It was great. Last year I stayed with my childhood bestie, M, at her brand new gorgeous house. We stayed up til 3am drinking Margaritas. We were out of the house by 4:30. We had the greatest time. We stopped at Starbuck's for coffee for me and hot cocoa for her. I remember the line being very very long at Bath and Body Works. She stood in line as soon as we went in. I shopped. I took her place while she shopped. We did the same thing at Target and Kohl's. I'm thinking my friend Suzi and I should stay in a hotel there and go shop all day. Woo!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Oh Oh Oh!!! I remembered....

It's Cyber Monday!!! The biggest online shopping day in the US!

I want to know when christmas stuff goes up in Italy. It's crazy that decorations are sold with back to school items in September.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I like the day-after-Christmas sale. That's when I go and get Christmas themed stuff for the next year: tissue paper, wrapping paper, tags, ribbon, decorations, cards, etc.

What is the date for Cyber Monday? I remember hearing that term recently in the media. Is it Memorial Day or Labor Day?