Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Mike Newton

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

It hasn't been officially canceled, just indefinatly postponed which could mean canceled. SM is having trouble starting it back up with the feelings of betrayal that she is dealing with right now. So, basically no one knows if she'll finish MS or not, not even Stephenie herself.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

moon sidhe wrote:I thought Midnight Sun was "postponed indefinitely", not canceled. Has SM decided to completely cancel it now?
She did postpone the book indefinitely, but it is highly rumoured that she plans to drop the book entirely because of how depressed she got about it being leaked. It's said she may drop the book completely and start another series without returning to finish Midnight Sun. I certainly hope that is not the case! I would rather her take 5 years off and finish the book than drop it completely, but I guess that isn't my decision. I can still hope, pray, and cross my fingers!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
Esme_C
Settled in Forks

Post by Esme_C »

Poor Mike! He never had a chance with Edward around. who would? LOL! I think if it was destined for Bella not to be with Edward, my first pick would obviously be Jacob, but after that prob. Mike. He sincerely liked Bella- that was so sweet!
~Ms. Esme~
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Ah ok, so his behaviuor wasn't all that different in Midnight Sun compared to Twilight and I agree that he has been a very good friend to Bella even when she treats him like crap (which seems to happen a lot).
slayerchick303 wrote: He feels more possessive of her than anything. He's jealous, but you never really hear him think about anything other than how pretty Bella is and how he fantasizes about her. Yes, he doesn't get treated in the greatest way in the books, but you have to admit sometimes he is just annoying!
He sounds like Edward with the possessiveness and jealousy. To me Mike is never annoying but rather funny for some reason, he's one of my favourite characters! :)
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^Me too! :D
slayerchick303 wrote: He feels more possessive of her than anything. He's jealous, but you never really hear him think about anything other than how pretty Bella is and how he fantasizes about her. Yes, he doesn't get treated in the greatest way in the books, but you have to admit sometimes he is just annoying!
So, first I would be tempted to criticize the author for not giving the character much depth when she had the chance, but I won't...

If I must accept the Mike we are handed in Midnight Sun, I shall accept him with open arms. Mike, at least, keeps his thoughts tightly bottled up inside, as someone mentioned once (a while back, I think). As glstewart said, Mike's been a good friend to Bella and, other than asking her out three times in every book, he hasn't acted on his lust/love/whichever-it-was-SMeyer-fantasized-about.

And that's exactly right, holdingoutforjacob: kisses on the cheek mean so much more in highschool, *especially* when you've been vying for a person's attention for so long. To Mike, this probably seemed like a declaration of love. From Midnight Sun it seemed he made a lot of assumptions (positive for him) about Bella's feelings towards him.

Ah! I just went back and looked at the part; now I feel ten times more sympathetic towards Mike.
"You want to do something tonight?" [Mike]
How could he still sound hopeful?
"Can't. I've got a slumber party," I grumbled...
((Then Jake came rumbling through on his motorbike))
I looked at Mike quickly. I knew I only had seconds.
"I got really sick and went home, okay?" I said to Mike, my voice filled with sudden excitement.
"Fine," he muttered.
I pecked Mike swiftly on the cheek. "Thanks, Mike. I owe you one!" I called as I sprinted away.
--
So she kissed Mike on the cheek and hopped onto a motorcycle with another man while her boyfriend was out of town, just before Mike was about to ask her out again.
:evil:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

Amivera wrote: --
So she kissed Mike on the cheek and hopped onto a motorcycle with another man while her boyfriend was out of town, just before Mike was about to ask her out again.

that is too funny, yet so true. For a girl who claimed to not have a lot of experience with boys, she sure had a lot going on! lol
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

Auctorita wrote:Ah ok, so his behaviuor wasn't all that different in Midnight Sun compared to Twilight and I agree that he has been a very good friend to Bella even when she treats him like crap (which seems to happen a lot).
He sounds like Edward with the possessiveness and jealousy. To me Mike is never annoying but rather funny for some reason, he's one of my favourite characters! :)
Yeah, it's pretty much the same, but you see more of the motivation behind his actions. He's jealous around Bella, but not out of love and protection like Edward. He's merely jealous in a way that a kid who didn't get a toy he wanted but his friend got one would act. I love Mike too. He's such a cute little guy in his own right, but definitely not right for bella.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

Amivera wrote:^Me too! :D
So, first I would be tempted to criticize the author for not giving the character much depth when she had the chance, but I won't...

If I must accept the Mike we are handed in Midnight Sun, I shall accept him with open arms. Mike, at least, keeps his thoughts tightly bottled up inside, as someone mentioned once (a while back, I think). As glstewart said, Mike's been a good friend to Bella and, other than asking her out three times in every book, he hasn't acted on his lust/love/whichever-it-was-SMeyer-fantasized-about.

And that's exactly right, holdingoutforjacob: kisses on the cheek mean so much more in highschool, *especially* when you've been vying for a person's attention for so long. To Mike, this probably seemed like a declaration of love. From Midnight Sun it seemed he made a lot of assumptions (positive for him) about Bella's feelings towards him.

Ah! I just went back and looked at the part; now I feel ten times more sympathetic towards Mike.
"You want to do something tonight?" [Mike]
How could he still sound hopeful?
"Can't. I've got a slumber party," I grumbled...
((Then Jake came rumbling through on his motorbike))
I looked at Mike quickly. I knew I only had seconds.
"I got really sick and went home, okay?" I said to Mike, my voice filled with sudden excitement.
"Fine," he muttered.
I pecked Mike swiftly on the cheek. "Thanks, Mike. I owe you one!" I called as I sprinted away.
--
I agree about Mike not having a whole lot of depth, but we can't do anything about that. Plus, with the editing process, who knows, Stephenie Meyer may have given him a whole lot of depth, but it got cut out by editors.

I do admire Mike for not asking Bella out all the time. I do feel so much compassion for Mike being constantly rejected by Bella. Of course, it isn't overt, crushing rejections, but they're still painful for him. Because he never allows his hopes to be dissuaded, even when Bella doesn't tell him, "No, I don't like you and I don't want to go out with you," his missed opportunities or slight open-ended refusals still hurt him.

Yeah, I think Mike takes the whole kiss on the cheek way too seriously. Because he so desparately wants Bella to like him, he'll take even one tiny shred of acknowledgement, tolerance, or appreciation and blow it greatly out of proportion.

Even though I never want Mike and Bella to end-up together, my heart broke in all those scenes for him. It's never fun to see a nice character get repeatedly "pushed in the mud" emotionally.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote:
Amivera wrote: --

that is too funny, yet so true. For a girl who claimed to not have a lot of experience with boys, she sure had a lot going on! lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?
I Want to Believe
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

glstewart wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?
Actually, you have a very good point! I never really considered that. If you read the rough draft of Midnight Sun, you do see small instances in other situations where Mike is encouraged by a friendly action, but maybe he's over it by that point in New Moon. But the way Mike has behaved in the past makes me wonder if he would ever be over Bella. Maybe we all are inventing it in a small way. I guess subconciously we all want a character that seems like the human equivelant of an emotional punching-bag.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B