A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?
I could see that Billy was genuinely concerned for Bella's safety. I was a little upset with her for being so rude to him. At the same time though, you can tell that she is so wrapped up in being with Edward that she doesn't care how she makes her point. I suppose I would be that way too about him ;-)

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
Of course, Charlie acted just like ANY other dad!! This is the part of the book where I could not stop laughing!! When he keep saying "EDWIN" I just rolled. It's sooo something my dad would have said when I was 17! hahahaha. :lol: Besides, Charlie was very polite to Edward on that night.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
I think Edward is extremely hard on himself. I think it's one of the reasons he has such a temper!

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
You know, I was sort of wondering why he didn't make a bigger 'show' of saying "I love you" for the first time. (That's probably not a good way of saying what I mean to say...) But, it was also a "real" moment between them. I think it'll be really interesting to read Edward's POV in Midnight Sun. I can't wait to see the depth of his character and what's been going on in his mind all this time.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
No, I really adore Esme...she really would have made a wonderful mother.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I think that Billy was really concerned for Bella, and that if she were to die, he knows that that would genuinely hurt Charlie, and he really didn't want that to happen to either of them.

Bella's response would have been like mine, I got that he was concerned for her, but it really was none of his business to tell her who to date, and not date.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
Absolutely. He did truely act like most dad's should when their daughter introduces their 1st boyfriend. And it was incredibly funny :)

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
I do get why he felt that way, but I did think he was being to hard on himself.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
Not really, he has said I love you in soooo many different ways, that just reading in print for the first time in any context, would have made me happy.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
No, to me Esme has always been loving, and caring, and just reading her story made me understand more about why she was that way.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I was kind of shocked. I always associated myself with Bella but she was quite rude to Billy in my opinion. I never speak to people like that unless I know them really well and feel that they deserve it. I knew he was only trying to look out for her. I also understood that she didn't want him to tell Charlie everything he knew. I just thought she could have gone about it a little nicer.

Charlie acted like my father. Nice and easy going around Edward, but gave Bella the third degree right before he showed up. I thought his attitude around Edward was very appropriate.

Yes. I think Edward dwells on the negative a lot and mostly directs it toward himself. He's very down on himself when he shouldn't be.

No. I liked that it seemed natural for him to say it. They had already had their profound moment of sharing their feelings. I didn't need for this to be so dramatic.

I hadn't formed a really strong impression of her yet so I can't say that it changed. The information I learned in this chapter just helped to shape my overall image of her.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I thought there was no reason for Bella to be worried. I don't think there was any way Billy could warn Charlie about Edward and the rest of the Cullens without breaking the treaty. I think he mainly came to warn Bella. I thought it was interesting when she told him she was probably better informed about the Cullens than he was. Snap!

Yes. I thought it was kind of funny how Edward and Charlie started talking about Bella as if she wasn't there. That's happened to me before when my husband and my parents start talking about me as if I'm not there anymore. I'm like, hello, I'm still here?

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is too hard on himself?

Yes, I do think he is too hard on himself. Bella has a part in the relationship also, and puts herself into danger. Even if he tried to leave to keep her out of danger, I'm sure she would have eventually tried to find a way to follow him. Plus, I think he underestimates himself. I think at this point he couldn't possibly hurt her.

Not really. I actually liked what he said earlier a lot more, "You are my life now." I think it had more meaning than "I love you". He doesn't just love her, he's putting her first above everything in his life. His life revolves completely around her now, which is a stronger sentiment I think than love.

I maybe was a little less intimidated by her, other than that my impression of Esme wasn't changed much. I guess I saw more of her motherly side in this chapter.
Last edited by corinnejca on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

I kind of saw a situation like the one with Billy coming from the foreshadowing. When I saw he was there when Edward took Bella home it made me nervous, I was a little afraid that he might come up with something to say, or do that would change Bella and Edward's relationship. I was extremely pleased that she stood up for herself and Edward and basically told him to butt out.

I don't know if I necessarily approved or disapproved, but I felt it was typical for Charlie. I guess it was what I expected. He's very skeptical of Edward and protective of Bella. He hasn't had Bella in his life much really so he kind of over-parents at times.

Sometimes because she is so willing to be with him, she's already told him she would rather die than stay away from him. But on the other hand there is no way that I can imagine the turmoil/pain that he experiences and that makes me sympathetic for him.

I wasn't disappointed I just thought it was different and I wasn't really expecting it, on the other hand it was a very "man" thing to do. Men just don't have the sensitivities and emotions that us women do!

A little bit, just that I felt bad for her, that she was at such a desperate place in her life before Carlisle changed her. On the other hand it made me glad that she was brought into Carlisle's coven and became a mother figure to the other Cullens. It was much more heartbreaking when I read more of Esme's back story in the personal correspondance.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

No, he doesn't want Bella to get injured, harmed or anything.

No way. When someone says"I Love you" how can it be off-handedly?

No, I fell in love with her character once I read about her. She seems so perfect, oh dear.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I thought that Billy was being kind of rude at first. But in all reality he is just trying to protect her because she is his friends daughter. And Bella handled it really well.

Yes. He was being calm. Its not easy for a father to meet his daughters boyfriend. I thought he did a very good job.

Yes, I think he is being to hard on himself. I know he doesnt want her to get hurt or anything. But she loves him, so im sure she is going to go where ever he goes.

No. I was happy that he said it.

I still thought she was sweet. She was motherly which is what I love about her. She loves her family very much.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?

No, I don't think he's too hard on himself. She is constantly in danger being around him. If he loses his self-control for even an instant, he could snap and kill her in an instant.

I was surprised that it was written that way, but in a way it was even more romantic. Mentioning it off-handedly like that made it seem like it was always there. No need for theatrics.

It was interesting to learn that she tried to kill herself and that she did it because she lost her baby. I realized how much she longed to be a mother and that her love for the Cullen "children" is maternal and genuine. I would have loved to have learned even more about her. What are Esme's beliefs about souls and the afterlife? Was she ever upset with Carlisle for turning her into a vampire, if she thought she could be with her baby in the afterlife?
bubblylittlealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bubblylittlealice »

i was like woah don't talk to her 1 of all and 2 don't talk bad about the cullens
ya better then i pictured i thought he would be like yelling at her
yeah! it would be hard talking about ur past and that's pretty much all they talk about anyway
i was like k you might not see her again so nice time to say it but i could have said it before
Not really she is nice to bella and the family
'I think she’s having hysterics. Maybe you should slap her'-Alice Cullen
I'm betting on Alice ;)
Jasper Hale can mess with my emotions any day
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I thought Billy was being overbearing. After reading New Moon and Eclipse though, when I re-read Twilight, I can't bring myself to come to the same conclusion... he's just trying to be protective. And Bella handled it well, all things (like all consuming love) considered.

Yeah. He's her dad. That's just the way it is. He was actually very calm and collected.

I think he is very hard on himself. He does all he can to keep Bella OUT of danger! How can he blame himself if just a tiny bit just manages to slip through??

Not really. We know he loves her more than life itself. It still made my heart flutter joyously.

She is incredible. I don't know what else to say, she's just... wow.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT