Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Mike Newton

Post by slayerchick303 »

Amivera wrote:
glstewart wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?
Creepy.

holdingoutforjacob and slayerchick303 pretty much summed this up.
Mike was encouraged by a wave and a smile, as was Jacob. (If you remember correctly, Bella would give him a smile and he would suddenly fight harder, or become confused because she was misleading him all the time)

A peck on the cheek would most likely encourage him. Perhaps you have a hard time placing yourself in a teenager's shoes...
I think maybe I know too many Mikes in real-life because I understood his character right away. I knew that he'd be one of those guys that was encouraged by the smallest thing and never stopped thinking he had a chance. I found it relatively easy to imagine the events in the Twilight Saga from a teenager's perspective, but I think most women might find it hard to "get" Mike because he's not just a teenager, he's a teenager of the opposite sex. If someone really has a hard time understanding Mike, tell them to go find a teenage boy and then they should begin to understand him better.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilove »

there is only one word to describe Mike Newton ANNOYING i mean come on the guy couldent take a hint Bella did not like him so i think its safe to say that he was annoying
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

For some reason, I feel that Mike is the source of much comedy in the books, and not much else.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

Amivera wrote:
glstewart wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?
Creepy.

holdingoutforjacob and slayerchick303 pretty much summed this up.
Mike was encouraged by a wave and a smile, as was Jacob. (If you remember correctly, Bella would give him a smile and he would suddenly fight harder, or become confused because she was misleading him all the time)

A peck on the cheek would most likely encourage him. Perhaps you have a hard time placing yourself in a teenager's shoes...
What's creepy?

Actually, I remember with perfect clarity what it's like to be a teenager. And I still don't think Mike is dumb enough to misread a peck on the cheek as anything other than friendly as Bella is jumping on the bike with Jacob and running off with him.
I Want to Believe
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

well i AM a teenager and i KNOW that while mike probably didn't think it meant she liked him MORE than jacob he definitely probably thought she liked him at least a little, therefore giving him hope. it's amazing how little it takes for the heart to hold hope. especially with a crush, as those are hardest to let go.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

The number of smilies laughing in synchrony was creepy.

I think there's a certain point where you need to separate the character from the author and attribute some of his annoying, endless pursuit of Bella to SMeyer. All the boys chasing after Bella seemed to unrealistic to me— serious wishful thinking going on right there.

I mean, if they had been interested in her for a few weeks, two or three months at the most, fine, that's realistic. The fact that Mike pursued her for *years* was wishful thinking...

Very true, holdingoutforjacob.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well i AM a teenager and i KNOW that while mike probably didn't think it meant she liked him MORE than jacob he definitely probably thought she liked him at least a little, therefore giving him hope. it's amazing how little it takes for the heart to hold hope. especially with a crush, as those are hardest to let go.

Well...if you say so.

Amivera: Sorry if I creeped you out, but that statement you made about Bella running off with Jacob struck me as particularly funny. It still makes me smile. :) Also, Mike wasn't pursuing her for *years*, it was more like 13 or 14 months. And Bella did like Mike -- alot -- she just didn't want to go out with him. But I guess you're right about a crush hanging onto hope...it never ends. Especially when the crush is unmet.
I Want to Believe
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

I still remember a guy I knew in high school saying, "I just assume that all girls are into me unless they explicitly state otherwise." I remember thinking it was utterly ridiculous at the time, but now I actually admire the sheer chutzpah. Kind of reminds me of Mike. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

that right there made my day. that is SO funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

creeped out by that amivera? lol.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

moon sidhe wrote:I still remember a guy I knew in high school saying, "I just assume that all girls are into me unless they explicitly state otherwise." I remember thinking it was utterly ridiculous at the time, but now I actually admire the sheer chutzpah. Kind of reminds me of Mike. :)
Haha! I have a friend who's extremely cocky like that. I think he exaggerates it, though. XD

Yes, holdingoutforjacob. You have me hyperventilating right now. :cry:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj