A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
gina.m.may
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Volterra

Post by gina.m.may »

FIRST- I would just like to say, that Bella has it together more than I do. I understand that she didnt have much time to really talk it out with Edward the first few hours she saw him again...but PLEASE BELIEVE that I would have LOST it..I can't belive she didnt push and punch and cry and scream at him for being so insensitive and cruel, even though he realizes he wanted to be with her more than away from her... anywho...here are my answers.. : )

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
It was totally a Cullen thing to do. Money is no object to them liek it is to other people. It made me laugh.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward?
I Knew she would bc there were 2 more books after New Moon. BUT..I definetly didnt think they would get off so easy.
3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?
I was like..SNAP OUT OF IT!! I was sad to see how dazed and zombie-like that he became, he gave up in his life..

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
She had more power than she deserved, shes so young. All the power got to her head, kind of intimidating too.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
I was heartbroken, I was starting to believe he wasnt trying to be with her anymore...or it was all a front. JUST GIVE IN ALREADY!! Thats what I thought.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

]1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer? I just figured she was being really generous it's obvious she doesn't care about money.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time to save Edward? I was very worried

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead? Your not dead dummy now step away from the sunlight!!!

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest! I couldn't understand why Edward was scared of this little girl seemed silly to me

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her? I knew from the beginning how much he loved her I made me mad that she was denying it.
gina.m.may
Settled in Forks

Post by gina.m.may »

OK so this is an update to my previous statment about Bella throwing a fit when she sees Edward..I just got to that point in the book again when she sees him for the first time and after he shelters her against the stone wall, all I would do is want to hold and touch and kiss his bare skin...haha...FunNy how Stephenie knows hot to play with my mind... : P
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
I don't think she cared how much money she gave him, as long as it was a sufficient enough amount to work. She had bigger things to care about than bribes; besides, we knew from day one that the Cullens were loaded. She'd have that much cash handy because she of all people would know to be prepared for anything that might happen.

Nah. I figured that her being so late to do it would mean consequences, though.

It was so adorable, in the most dense of ways. I was smiling through tears at him. I knew he didn't not love her. Silly Bella. But Edward was wasting time, so the reunion happiness lasted a shorter time for me than it did for Bella.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
I was with Bella - why were they all running from this little girl? What on earth was she capable of? And then Alice folded her arms at Jane and followed and I knew I hated Jane. :lol: If Alice, nicest person ever, dislikes her -her personally, not because of what she is like with the wolves- she's gotta be bad. And if Alice fears her, good lord. Edward disliking Jane was different, because he's hardly a people person - which was why I was more wary of Jane than Felix or Demetri. Jane I was confused by, and then reaaaaally despised. Still hate the brat now, to be honest.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
I thought it was sweet beyond words, and that Bella must have smacked her head on Alice's arms as she landed down the hole pretty hard not to realise that he loved her. It wasn't guilt at all, it was reunion. And it was beautiful.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Well Edward always has money so it makes sense that so does Alice.

Yeah I thought she was gonna like fall and knock herself out or something.

I was like oh Edward you're sooo smart :D

I was like ha ha ha little kid vampire Edward could so take you.

I knew he still loved her that much was obvious but what wasn't was if he would still want to be with her
**Kathryn**
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I guess I wasn't really shocked at the amount of money cos she's a Cullen! I think she just gave him a lot of money so that he definately would let them in. They didnt have any time to take any chances!

Yeah, I didn't think she would make it. I prayed that she did tho.

I was a bit shocked at his assumption. I was also mad at him for not moving back into the shadows! I was like, c'mon Edward listen to her, move!!

Yeah I was shocked! :lol: I assumed she must be some super vampire to have that effect on them all.

I thought he was being very sweet, and I knew that he still loved her. It scared me a little cos I thought he was acting like that cos they didn't have much time left together - if Edward thought they were going to die... I was incredibly sad.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

As mentioned before, money means nothing to the Cullens.. with the time limit they had,.. I imagine she was willing to give him more than what she thought it would take to bribe him. A thousand dollar bill though? Do they even make those? lol

Eh.. no I didn't. But obviously she has to.. the story just can't end like that.

I was shocked. He seemed so happy.. I was surprised he didn't realize sooner though that he wasn't dead. And it also prooves that he believes something else might be there for him after he does die.

I was confused.. I didn't understand why everyone was so afraid of her.. I thought maybe she was very powerful and they knew they couldn't mess with her.

I've always known Edward loved her.. I never doubted it. Bella never though she was worthy of him even before.. I didn't give in to her pessimistic attitude very much.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I didn't think a lot about it, they were having an emergency! I would have done the same, if I could.

No. She had to, she just HAD to. But hell I was nervous! I was just reading really fast.

Oh my God I just thought: Edward you're such an angel! Poor baby :(

I was like: Who is she? Why is Edward scared of her? I was sure it was going to happen something really bad, and that it would take a long time for them to get out of Volterra.

OH MY GOD! I thought he was really scared of having her there! But I was also thinking that he loved her so so so much! I never doubted that. I was like: oh God Bella, don't be stupid! How can you think he doesn't love you?
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

She wasn't going to take any chances, so gave way more than she thought necessary, to ensure she would get in. Off course, we already know that the Cullens have A LOT of money, so it wouldn't mean anything to her.

Yep, I really believed she would be in time.

I felt he was an idiot for thinking it.

Apparently, she's dangerous.

I felt he really loved her and wanted to protect her. I was frustrated with Bella believing him to do all of this out of guilt. Why in heaven's name would you try and get yourself killed out of guilt????
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I don't know that she thought it would take that much so much as she knew that it would be enough to successfully bribe him with. It definitely shows how rich the Cullens are, but then, Bella has already indicated that they had more money than she could even imagine.

Nah, I knew.

It was pretty sad...

That she was dangerous.

He had good reason to be protecting her in that manner, so it didn't surprise me at all.