Edward Cullen #3

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Locked
ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by ariadnee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am

Jazz Girl wrote:Credit where credit is due, that fabulous question was posed by EclipseRox, not me.
I'm sorry, EclipseRox, completely my mistake. I thought it was an interesting question, and I didn't want to miss it.

Jazz Girl, your take on Jasper is always very interesting to me. I'd never seen the similarities between Jasper and Edward that you seem to see. Jasper has been to the wars, and the corresponding edginess and mercenariness that you see in Jasper and some other veterans are somehow missing in Edward. As wise and experienced as he is, as much human and superhuman evil as he's seen, he's still somehow more innocent than Jasper in that way. Other than that, though, I can see all the similarities that you suggest. I'll spend some time thinking about it.
mikkib wrote:He was always sort of brooding and pessimistic that is how I see him.
I see Edward as a worrier - he will always be on the lookout for more deception by the Volturi ("They'll try to pick us off one-by-one.", or something like that?), discovery by humans, and threats from other vampires. After werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters, who knows what other dangerous supernatural creatures are out there in the Twilight world? So I don't think he'll give in completely to the ecstacy of life with Bella and Renesmee, but I do agree that he's likely to be a lot happier on a day-by-day basis than we've ever seen him. As Carlisle thinks in MS, "Edward deserves happiness. He's owed it!"

Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1

User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by navarre » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Hello all of you longly opinionated people! :D :lol: I love al of your opinions and I decided to state mine for once..and then another question of course. :D
My least favorite Edward moment: When he left in New Moon obviously, but I was more mad at the fact that he had to leave, than being mad at him.*swoon sigh* I can't be mad at him. It's hard to. :lol:

My favorite Edward moment: Practically everything he's in or every line he says. :lol: But out of all is the meadow. That's not just my favorite Edward moment that's my favorite all time moment. My heart melts everytime I read Chapter 13. :D

New question: Now we all know of Edward's extraordinary ability to read minds..now let's say he's watching TV..can he read the thoughts of the people on the program? Whether it be live or pre-recorded?
No I do not think Edward can read the minds of those on TV. Reason is that he has to 1) be familiar with their 'voice' in their head ( Twilight) even though he can pick up their thoughts the longer he is around them and 2) he can only hear thoughts within a few miles radius (again Twilight, I think) I know Jacob was at tleast three miles out when Edward picked up his thoughts in his wolf form in BD.

Physical proximity is needed for him.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict

User avatar
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Ifeellikerain » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm

ariadnee wrote:
mikkib wrote:He was always sort of brooding and pessimistic that is how I see him.
I see Edward as a worrier - he will always be on the lookout for more deception by the Volturi ("They'll try to pick us off one-by-one.", or something like that?), discovery by humans, and threats from other vampires. After werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters, who knows what other dangerous supernatural creatures are out there in the Twilight world? So I don't think he'll give in completely to the ecstacy of life with Bella and Renesmee, but I do agree that he's likely to be a lot happier on a day-by-day basis than we've ever seen him. As Carlisle thinks in MS, "Edward deserves happiness. He's owed it!"

Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee
just wanted to say i totally agree with that. I think he worries because he just cares too much for the people he loves and doesn't want them in danger, and this makes him come off as sort of brooding etc. but now that bella is a vampire im sure he will be a little less worried all the time....or maybe im wrong and he wont calm down until renesmee is grown up lol

eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by eclipserox » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I see a lot of similarities between Jasper and Edward. They are both quiet, intelligent, chivalrous, old-fashioned, and protective. To both, their wives are their whole world. Of course, there are some differences, too. And, they have very different histories. Jasper started out fighting in the South, while Edward had a relatively peaceful existence with the Cullens. I think their different backgrounds are the main reason Jasper has a harder time resisting humans than Edward does. If their backgrounds were reversed, Jasper might be the controlled one and Edward might struggle around humans.

After BD, I think Edward would be very happy with Bella and Nessie. He was very happy in the end of BD. I think he finally realized that Bella loved him as much as he loved her and that he couldn't be a monster if he created a sweet little girl. I think these realizations altered the way he saw things. He won't be as pessimistic anymore. However, if his family is in danger again (say, if the Volturi plan another attack), he will become more intense and worried. I do think he is changed forever, though, and doubt we'll ever see him quite as pessimistic.

Good point, Mikkib. As protective as Edward was of Bella, he's going to be even more protective of his daughter. And, he'll be able to hear every thought Jacob has about her. I think it would be very funny to see. I do think Edward knows that Jacob is a good guy and will do anything for Nessie, so he will probably eventually accept it. But, can you imagine Edward reading Jacob's mind right after he sleeps with Nessie? How horrible for Jacob and Nessie!

User avatar
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Posts: 5001
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Hello all. Amazing posts as always and I'm going to bring up a similar question that I posted in the Bella thread,
What is Edward's strongest points?And weaknesses/flaws?
Image

User avatar
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by leahroselover » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:07 pm

What is Edward's strongest points?And weaknesses/flaws?
Strongest points.....*cricket cricket* lol. No, seriously, I would have to say his strongest point is that he will always try and do the right thing no matter what.


Weakness/flaws: Everything else about him
Image
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic

User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by edward4ever » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm

navarre wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen wrote:...can he read the thoughts of the people on the program? Whether it be live or pre-recorded?
No I do not think Edward can read the minds of those on TV. Reason is that he has to 1) be familiar with their 'voice' in their head ( Twilight) even though he can pick up their thoughts the longer he is around them and 2) he can only hear thoughts within a few miles radius (again Twilight, I think) I know Jacob was at tleast three miles out when Edward picked up his thoughts in his wolf form in BD.

Physical proximity is needed for him.
navarre...your first reason is incorrect. He can read anybody's mind in close proximity (except Bella's, of course). What you're thinking of is --if he needs to pick out your voice in a crowd of people...he needs to be familiar with what it "sounds" like in his head.

But your conclusion is correct...he would not be able to read the minds of people on TV because they are too far away.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Amethyst1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote: What is Edward's strongest points?And weaknesses/flaws?
I was hoping I’d be able to reply to the previous questions but seeing as the questions are antiquated as soon as possible, I’ll reply to the last one which is a very good question might I add.

Edward - naturally - has no weakness. . . Except one. Bella. She has him wrapped all around her fingers. In other words she owns him. I don’t know exactly how I feel about that, but I know that weakness is consequent because of his extraordinary love for Bella and I absolutely adore him for it. However, I always find it odd that people think Edward is the captain of the ship whilst the books never read that way. But it’s good he’s able to keep his confidence and manness all throughout the books.

His good points. . . we lets see, there’s considerate, thoughtfulness, caring… in plain short, just wonderful. I don’t necessarily know what you mean by good points though. . .?

ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by ariadnee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm

malaz wrote:Edward - naturally - has no weakness. . . Except one. Bella. She has him wrapped all around her fingers. In other words she owns him. I don’t know exactly how I feel about that, but I know that weakness is consequent because of his extraordinary love for Bella and I absolutely adore him for it.
Malaz, I see what you mean about Bella being his weakness. Yes, his life revolves around her. In NM, we see him trying to protect Bella at the possible expense of himself (the alley scene, and many more times...) Sometimes, she does stupid things that could possibly bring danger to him (the slashing of her arm during the fight with Victoria, running to James, etc.)

At the same time, she's made him so much stronger than he ever was before. As Carlisle thinks during MS, "So much compassion, so much control." He never really felt the need to become a better person before he met Bella - he was downright full of himself before. She teaches him humility and hope. So I would also call Bella his strength.

With a love as overpowering as theirs - I think it has to be both!

Other weaknesses: arrogant, stubborn, guilt-ridden, controlling, obsessive, melodramatic, worrying...
Other strengths: loyal, protective, careful, dutiful, polite, musical, faithful, forgiving, gentle, attentive...

Thanks for listening! - Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1

User avatar
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: The cottage

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Heart_in_Hand » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:46 pm

ariadnee wrote:Jazz Girl, your take on Jasper is always very interesting to me. I'd never seen the similarities between Jasper and Edward that you seem to see. Jasper has been to the wars, and the corresponding edginess and mercenariness that you see in Jasper and some other veterans are somehow missing in Edward. As wise and experienced as he is, as much human and superhuman evil as he's seen, he's still somehow more innocent than Jasper in that way. Other than that, though, I can see all the similarities that you suggest. I'll spend some time thinking about it.
First off I want to say that you are absolutely right. Edward and Jasper had quite different backgrounds, and they aren't entirely the same person to be sure. However, I do think they are very similar and I just wanted to add one little thing to your assessment here. Edward can read Jasper's mind. I know Jasper said in MS that that just reading his mind about it isn't the same as living it, and that is true, but there's more to it. Edward may not have lived the wars, but he sees them in Jasper's mind, and anyone else's mind who happens to be thinking about them. Now, Edward is perhaps the most compassionate and introspective character I have ever encountered in a novel and I do not think we should discount how these illustrations would affect him. Nobody knows the cruelness and corruption that dwells in the minds of humans and vampires alike better than Edward. How could he not be wary and pessimistic with the constant reminder of how horrid people can be being drilled into his mind day in and day out? That is why I feel that Edward is at least on the same level as Jasper in that respect and why I think they have a lot more in common than just their quiet and pensive nature.
Image
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."

Locked